Southampton-London Transfers - Airport (LHR/LGW) - NEW THREAD!

Host Anne

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 8:00 AM, CRUISIN2X2 said:

We decided to stay the night at a hotel and fly out the next morning. We took a tour from the ship which worked out great since we could not check in until mid afternoon, the tour dropped us at Gatwick Airport and we walked (2 minutes) to the hotel which was attached to the airport. In the morning we walked to the airport (2 minute walk inside hotel) Decided the stress was not worth it and not sure we would have made it . Sofitel London Gatwick was the hotel, great experience.

Edited by CRUISIN2X2
  • Like 1

We booked our train tickets for May 8th, we now see a notice that they are striking May 7-9th. Any thoughts on this regarding should I cancel and book another travel method or wait it out? We don't have a train system where I live so unfamiliar with this. Below Copied from news site.

Members of Aslef union at 16 rail companies will walk out on different days from 7 to 9 May.

Additionally, all members will refuse to work any overtime from 6 May to 11 May.

Here is a full list of the services affected by strikes and when.

Rail strike dates

Tuesday 7 May

Strikes will affect c2c, Greater Anglia, GTR Great Northern Thameslink, Southeastern, Southern, Gatwick Express and South Western Railway.

Wednesday 8 May

Strikes will affect Avanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Great Western Railway and West Midlands Trains.

Thursday 9 May

Strikes will affect LNER, Northern Trains and TransPennine Express.

Overtime ban dates

From Monday 6 May to Saturday 11 May union members will not work overtime.

Overtime bans, an action short of a strike, means some services may not be running or may be reduced as drivers refuse to work their rest days.

Thanks for all the great advice I have received and read on here, I am probably not the only one wondering what this means. Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, CRUISIN2X2 said:

We booked our train tickets for May 8th, we now see a notice that they are striking May 7-9th.

Assuming that you've booked a direct train from Southampton Central to Gatwick Airport, your train is operated by Southern. The strike there is on 7 May, so I think you should be fine for 8 May. I think that the worst that is likely to happen from this industrial action is that you'll have to take a different direct train from the one you've booked, if your booked train is cancelled for some reason. And because South Western Railway's strike is also on the previous day (ie 7 May), on the day that you travel you will also have a backup route of going to London and coming back out again using SWR trains.

41 minutes ago, CRUISIN2X2 said:

We booked our train tickets for May 8th, we now see a notice that they are striking May 7-9th. Any thoughts on this regarding should I cancel and book another travel method or wait it out? We don't have a train system where I live so unfamiliar with this. Below Copied from news site.

Members of Aslef union at 16 rail companies will walk out on different days from 7 to 9 May.

Additionally, all members will refuse to work any overtime from 6 May to 11 May.

Here is a full list of the services affected by strikes and when.

Rail strike dates

Tuesday 7 May

Strikes will affect c2c, Greater Anglia, GTR Great Northern Thameslink, Southeastern, Southern, Gatwick Express and South Western Railway.

Wednesday 8 May

Strikes will affect Avanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Great Western Railway and West Midlands Trains.

Thursday 9 May

Strikes will affect LNER, Northern Trains and TransPennine Express.

Overtime ban dates

From Monday 6 May to Saturday 11 May union members will not work overtime.

Overtime bans, an action short of a strike, means some services may not be running or may be reduced as drivers refuse to work their rest days.

Thanks for all the great advice I have received and read on here, I am probably not the only one wondering what this means. Thanks in advance.

additional information...Our train is London to Southampton

28 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Assuming that you've booked a direct train from Southampton Central to Gatwick Airport, your train is operated by Southern. The strike there is on 7 May, so I think you should be fine for 8 May. I think that the worst that is likely to happen from this industrial action is that you'll have to take a different direct train from the one you've booked, if your booked train is cancelled for some reason. And because South Western Railway's strike is also on the previous day (ie 7 May), on the day that you travel you will also have a backup route of going to London and coming back out again using SWR trains.

Sorry, I was not clear, we booked London to Southampton.

18 minutes ago, CRUISIN2X2 said:

additional information...Our train is London to Southampton

Then it's the same answer, as SWR's strike is also the day before you travel. I would expect the route from London to Southampton (and beyond) to be a priority for SWR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CRUISIN2X2 said:

We booked our train tickets for May 8th, we now see a notice that they are striking May 7-9th.

You can also keep an eye on this page - as the notification was only made today, it doesn’t yet have any service impact information, but will be updated.  
I’m with Globaliser - there will be trains on your route on 8th, but service recovery after a strike and the overtime ban may affect frequency of services.  If you have ‘Advance’ tickets and the service you are booked on happens to be cancelled, you will be able to switch to another at no cost.