The dress of my dreams

HarleyGirl

I thought I'd found a blue/green dress that I really wanted but I am looking at this sunset-colored dress that is just the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Would you guys please check it out and tell me if it's too "prom-girl-ish" for a 32-year-old (everyone says I look a lot younger than my age). It's on promgirl.com and when the main page opens, it's the yellow/orange one--it's the third dress and is by La Femme item # LF-7159. I especially love the sunset color for a cruise, but since I've never been on a cruise I'm not sure if this is too high school or not. It's more expensive than what I wanted to spend but I am getting to ready to book a cruise for spring 2007 so at least I can wear it twice! (maybe then I could sell it) Plus, my b-day is coming up and I always get money for my b-day so hmmm, I think I know what I'm buying with that! :)

I don't think it looks too promish and definitely like the orange/tellow versus the multi colored. If you want to buy and adore then I would. I am that way. If there's something I cannot get off my mind, clothing wise, then the price doesn't matter. It means I really want it and would be disappointed if they sell out and I missed out!

have a great cruises and look smashing! :)

Thanks so much for posting that link to the dress. I'm computer-challenged when it comes to stuff like that! Glad you guys like the dress! I always have to be "different" and I think this one definitely qualifies!

The dress is absolutely stunning - by all means go for it!!!

I too found my dream dress this week. I am sooooooooooo excited about this dress.

Here is the wonderful story about the dress. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. We've had our Panama Canal cruise planned for almost a year, and while initially thought we'd have to cancel, I am feeling OK, albeit somewhat tired, so sailing we will go. Anyway, my Mom came to visit and help out last week. One day, my 20 year-old daughter and my Mom had a glorious day shopping etc. We popped into a bridal/formal wear store just for fun and we were just ready to head out when my Mom spotted the dress. What a delicious dress it is - spaghetti straps with low-cut fitted top. The dress itself is verry fitted and in wild colors - turquoise blue, hot pink, lime green & white. So upbeat & fun. On a lark I tried it on - the dress looked "fab" and I felt like a million dollars. Asked the saleswoman the price and after not being able to find the tag, she looked it up in the catalogue. My heart sank when she told me it was $565. Sadly, I said the price was far too high as I only had one occassion to wear it. I explained about our upcoming cruise and that hopefully if the chemo was successful, I would be having a masectomy in 5 months. This is definetely a dress that you need a good pair of boobs! :D She made a phone call to the owner of the shop and enquired if $225 was a better price for me. Well, $225 is still exhorbitant for a dress I will probably only wear once, but . . . . I feel like a princess in it and I know it will knock my husband's socks off when he sees me in it. I took about 5 seconds to make up my mind, much to the delight of my mom and daughter.

My hair fell out Friday, so I'm now sporting a new brunette do - which according to "everyone" makes me look younger. With my weight loss I'm now a tiny size 2 (down from a 10) I'm looking better than I have in a long time. The dress will be a surprise for my husband. On formal nights he usually dresses first and we meet in the Champagne Bar. I can hardly wait to see his face when I walk into the bar.

I've promised formal pics for our daughter - one with me in my dress and wig and another with her Dad & I sporting our matching bald heads.

My daughter is coming with me to the dress shop this week for my fitting. I will get her to snap a picture of me wearing the dress and I'll attempt to post it.

This is the best $225 I've spent in ages. I've been giddy with excitement these past few days. I hope your beautiful dress (which is almost as pretty as mine:) ) brings you as much pleasure.

I am so excited for you about finding "the dress". I bet you will look lovely in it--you better post us some pics when you get the dress home (or from the fitting room). I wish you the best of luck with the chemotherapy. Enjoy your cruise and your dress! I can't wait to see it! Isn't is awesome when you find the one you just KNOW is for you? That was very nice of the sales clerk to lower the price, too!

Harleygirl,

I agree with the others, the dress doesn't look too "prom-ish". It's perfect for a cruise!

Sue,

I so admire your attitude! And I'm so thrilled that the store dropped the price of the dress and is selling it to you at her cost. What a nice thing for her to do. I bet she'd love a picture of you in from your cruise.

Both you ladies will look divine on your cruises.

Enjoy!

Jane

Hi Sue, I was just reading your reply and wanted to wish

you only good things:)

I am glad you decided to buy the dress....maybe it will help

(somewhat) and make you feel a little better. And I agree with

Jane, it was so nice of them to drop the price!!!!

I hope the chemo goes well.....as well as it can....

Many years ago my Mom went through it.....you will probably get

cravings for different foods as it affects your taste buds.

I remember my Mom would get cravings for hamburgers....so Dad

would make her small patties.

I hope your hubby and daughter are a good support system for you:)

And I know the folks on here will always be glad to give you

a shoulder should you need it.

When is your cruise? Hope you have a wonderful RELAXING time:)

Harley girl: beautiful dress. Love the details and the contrasting fabrics.

Sue: what a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing! You've been through so much and I am so happy you found a dress that makes you feel like a princess!

The two different pics sound like a fun idea!

Have fun and enjoy!

~e

Harleygirl: The dress is gorgeous....enjoy wearing it.

Sue: Please post pictures of your dream dress. Enjoy it and your upcoming cruise. I am a 15 yr survivor and have enjoyed many cruises since I had to cancel one at the last minute 15 yrs ago. Keep that upbeat attitude and you will do well. Best wishes and good luck.

Hi Sue, I was just reading your reply and wanted to wish

you only good things:)

I am glad you decided to buy the dress....maybe it will help

(somewhat) and make you feel a little better. And I agree with

Jane, it was so nice of them to drop the price!!!!

I hope the chemo goes well.....as well as it can....

Many years ago my Mom went through it.....you will probably get

cravings for different foods as it affects your taste buds.

I remember my Mom would get cravings for hamburgers....so Dad

would make her small patties.

I hope your hubby and daughter are a good support system for you:)

And I know the folks on here will always be glad to give you

a shoulder should you need it.

When is your cruise? Hope you have a wonderful RELAXING time:)

Thanks for your kind words & thoughts Lois. We're cruising on my favourite ship - the beautiful Radiance of the Seas on April 23rd. We're cruising with dear friends who we originally met right here on cruise critic.

No food cravings for me - I don't have any appetite, but if you put a plate of anything in front of me, I'll eat it.:)

My husband & daughter are "the best" - I'm truly blessed to have the both of them. We've experienced a number of major crisises together - always with lots of love & laughter. This is just another hurdle and I'm confident we'll get through this well as we have done in the past.

I promise to post pics of "the dress" - with me modelling it in my new do, next week.

Thanks again,

Sue

The dress is absolutely stunning - by all means go for it!!!

I too found my dream dress this week. I am sooooooooooo excited about this dress.

Here is the wonderful story about the dress. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. We've had our Panama Canal cruise planned for almost a year, and while initially thought we'd have to cancel, I am feeling OK, albeit somewhat tired, so sailing we will go. Anyway, my Mom came to visit and help out last week. One day, my 20 year-old daughter and my Mom had a glorious day shopping etc. We popped into a bridal/formal wear store just for fun and we were just ready to head out when my Mom spotted the dress. What a delicious dress it is - spaghetti straps with low-cut fitted top. The dress itself is verry fitted and in wild colors - turquoise blue, hot pink, lime green & white. So upbeat & fun. On a lark I tried it on - the dress looked "fab" and I felt like a million dollars. Asked the saleswoman the price and after not being able to find the tag, she looked it up in the catalogue. My heart sank when she told me it was $565. Sadly, I said the price was far too high as I only had one occassion to wear it. I explained about our upcoming cruise and that hopefully if the chemo was successful, I would be having a masectomy in 5 months. This is definetely a dress that you need a good pair of boobs! :D She made a phone call to the owner of the shop and enquired if $225 was a better price for me. Well, $225 is still exhorbitant for a dress I will probably only wear once, but . . . . I feel like a princess in it and I know it will knock my husband's socks off when he sees me in it. I took about 5 seconds to make up my mind, much to the delight of my mom and daughter.

My hair fell out Friday, so I'm now sporting a new brunette do - which according to "everyone" makes me look younger. With my weight loss I'm now a tiny size 2 (down from a 10) I'm looking better than I have in a long time. The dress will be a surprise for my husband. On formal nights he usually dresses first and we meet in the Champagne Bar. I can hardly wait to see his face when I walk into the bar.

I've promised formal pics for our daughter - one with me in my dress and wig and another with her Dad & I sporting our matching bald heads.

My daughter is coming with me to the dress shop this week for my fitting. I will get her to snap a picture of me wearing the dress and I'll attempt to post it.

This is the best $225 I've spent in ages. I've been giddy with excitement these past few days. I hope your beautiful dress (which is almost as pretty as mine:) ) brings you as much pleasure.

Sue, I am so happy for you. Please post pics. Your story is inspiring (both in terms of your bravery and positive attitude in dealing with your cancer and bargains!) :D

Enjoy EVERYTHING!

My brother and I had planned a family cruise last December and 6 weeks prior to our departure, he was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Unfortunately, we had to cancel because of his chemotherapy regimen but we got the good news last month that he is in REMISSION! We rebooked for this coming December.

I can attest to the fact that a positive attitude aids in recovery. At one point, my brother felt good, only to find out he needed a blood transfusion. He didn't let anything get him down! He's now adorable and bald with a tiny moustache coming in. He looks about 17!

Kamloopscruiser: Your story is great, I'm sure your DH will love the dress. had lunch with a friend who is having chemo for breast ca last week, she is doing well enough to travel to Europe next month. Hope both of you girls have wonderful trips.

To OP: your dress is a knock out. The colours are stunning, Please report after cruise.

I love this dress! My daughter actually tried it on in green and it looked great. I think you should buy it and wear it with pride. The colors are great for a cruise. Just for the fun of it and I don't know what size you are, I did a search on Ebay, (gotta love Ebay) and there is one listed on there for $15.50 right now and has 3 days left. You might want to check it out at http://cgi.ebay.com/La-Femme-2006-prom-formal-dress-7159-sz-4-beautiful_W0QQitemZ5482077932QQcategoryZ63861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well I could just wear "a little black dress" and be just like everyone else! I've gotten enough positive comments on it that I'm getting it, but thanks for your opinion also, as I did ask for everyone's thoughts on the dress.

Archived