Meet & Mingle

snaver

20 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Does that make a difference?! People are people. 

I agree however I get FangedRose opinion, there are lots of get together's onboard for all sorts of people and in this day and age probably unwise to exclude anyone, we had a similar discussion about the gay community and friends of Bill meetings on here not so long ago. However people just going to these get together's just because they can does seem a bit petty. The other thing is that when people make a fuss about something that doesn't affect them the outcome can be that it gets stopped.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Because it is a meeting specifically for those travelling alone. If you are not travelling alone you are not a solo traveller.

I tend to agree. I’ve been to one where a husband and wife attended every day it was held.
For those who may feel alone thru a loss of a partner or feeling lonely for whatever reason then the travelling alone group is to help them feel that there are others on board in a similar situation to theirs - to have a couple attend to talk about what they have done together on board is not always helpful, however lovely that couple may be.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Does that make a difference?! People are people. 

Of course they are people. But they are not alone people. The meet up is for those who are travelling alone. Not for those who have family or friends with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I tend to agree. I’ve been to one where a husband and wife attended every day it was held.
For those who may feel alone thru a loss of a partner or feeling lonely for whatever reason then the travelling alone group is to help them feel that there are others on board in a similar situation to theirs - to have a couple attend to talk about what they have done together on board is not always helpful, however lovely that couple may be.

I can see that such a situation would be insensitive, but that’s just down to the couple you mention. 
Otherwise, I really can’t see a problem if travelling companions, not couples as such, want to attend. I mean, they might not want to do everything together, or one might not be as mobile, hence the other one looking for companions for port visits.