QM2, 2 - 9 June, 2024 - Complete Change of Itinerary

Kynance

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Goodness, that must have been quite unusual. Was she a nurse?

No she was in the WAAF as an Administrator.  After Algeria she was posted to Cairo where she stayed until the war ended. She then stayed on travelling around Egypt, trying to find all those who had gone AWOL over the years. She eventually was lucky to get one of the first places at a Teacher Training College when they eventually opened up. Ex service personnel had first priority. She then went on to teach for over 30 years. She had amazing stories to tell of her time in North Africa. 

• Like 6

Many ports are trying to reduce cruise ship calls.

Local news sites here often have articles on the subject.

Marseille are concerned about pollution.

Monaco don't want big mass market ships. They want to target ships carrying fewer passengers of high net worth that will spend fortunes in their high end boutiques. The article was very clear that they didn't want thousands of folk arriving and only buying a few pizzas and ice cream.

Cannes is a tender port but again there are moans about thousands of folk coming ashore and not spending enough.

Nice can only accommodate smaller ships but the residents of the port area are regularly complaining about the soot on their balconies from the ferries that call there serving the Corsica routes. They only dock for about half an hour.

We're quite happy where we are, but if I had an apartment at the port in Nice I'd regard all the ship calls as a big attraction to living there.

9 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

Of course. But it still amounts to Cunard selling a product that it knew it could not fulfil if it has waited until it had a replacement itinerary before announcing the change. 

Did Olden Adventures supply you with an appropriate child restraint? I'll have my 2 year old and I'm not keen on taking her on vehicles without a car seat. 

We took a 2 year old and he loved Norway!  He's 8 now, so you should contact them directly to see what they are using now but back then they used a large bus.  If you do the troll car at the Briskdal Glacier, you might want to ask them if it is possible to get a longer time before you need to return (they give you a time to get back to meet the troll car).  My 2 year old slowly but steadily walked all the way to the glacier but it would have been less stressful if I'd thought to try to delay the return time.  I had nearly turned around when we almost reached the glacier and was glad we were able to make it since it was a lovely, peaceful spot.   

We went to Geiranger, Olden and Flam, so if you are doing those ports you might want to look at the  review in my signature line to see what we did.   

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1