Food questions

Cruisin'allovertheworld

Hi,

I'm going to be onboard Queen Elizabeth from the 22nd of Jan to the 1st of Feb.

I am wondering if there is any way to see current or future menus? I've seen the sample ones on the website but I'm interested in accurate information!

I have a few allergies/sensitivities and would love opinions on how to handle that whilst onboard.

When booking the relevant information was provided but my previous cruise experiences (with Holland America Line and Royal Caribbean) have shown that can have little to no impact on what is actually available to me- more than once I've had to go to the buffet to ensure I'd actually eaten something!

What makes any of the additional-charge restaurants worth it? (I'm more looking for statements regarding a better experience, service, range of options etc, rather than specifics of if you like them or not- food itself is so subjective!)

Thanks,

Kathleen

Cunard seem to be very good at handling allergies. When you are on board, they will give you the next day’s menu the night before so you can choose and make any necessary adjustments. The menus on the website are accurate, but only a sample.

I have eaten in various additional charge restaurants, as a freebie, and enjoyed them all except the rather snooty Verandah, but I don’t think I’d pay to eat in any of them.

• Like 1

Also, on embarkation day, make sure you see the M d’h. If you are in the Grills, they will be there at lunch, otherwise there is a time they are available in the afternoon. This will give you the chance to make sure they are fully apprised of your requirements and to sort of what you want that evening.

• Like 1

See the Maitre'd as soon as possible when you board. If in Britannia then this would be in the afternoon or if that's not possible, as you go into dinner. If not let your waiter know about your allergies as soon as you get to the table. The first night they will do their best to get you something suitable but after that you will be given the next days menus so you can choose something which will be made specifically for you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

Hi,

I'm going to be onboard Queen Elizabeth from the 22nd of Jan to the 1st of Feb.

I am wondering if there is any way to see current or future menus? I've seen the sample ones on the website but I'm interested in accurate information!

I have a few allergies/sensitivities and would love opinions on how to handle that whilst onboard.

When booking the relevant information was provided but my previous cruise experiences (with Holland America Line and Royal Caribbean) have shown that can have little to no impact on what is actually available to me- more than once I've had to go to the buffet to ensure I'd actually eaten something!

What makes any of the additional-charge restaurants worth it? (I'm more looking for statements regarding a better experience, service, range of options etc, rather than specifics of if you like them or not- food itself is so subjective!)

Thanks,

Kathleen

I posted the QV PG menus Dinner and Lunch on my blog from last month's Greek Islands cruise (I think lunch is the same menu in the Grills and Britannia) Lunch HERE...  &  Dinner HERE...

• Like 1

You should be absolutely fine. If it's a strict allergy, email them beforehand and confirm with the maitre'd on embarkation day (2-4pm were Britannia maitre'd hours on recent QE cruise), so the galley has time to prepare. 

If you need something more specific, they outline what they can try and cover if told in advance: https://my.cunard.com/en-gb/mycruise/articles/special-requirements)

I'm vegetarian and was on Queen Elizabeth earlier this month. We got the menu for that evening in advance, and then again every night for the day after, and could order off the vegetarian 'always available' menu if needed.

All menus are accurately labelled with gluten-free/vegan etc (see examples).

My experience of speciality dining (Lido pop-up restaurant) was brilliant. We went one evening (8 or 9pm I think?) to see the menu and asked the maitre'd if if was possible to get a fully vegetarian menu from the Bamboo offering. They bent over backwards without us asking - the executive chef came out to chat through our requirements, and then did us a chef special of the Coriander (Indian) starter with Bamboo (pan-Asian) main the next day! 

However, I can also highly recommend the Indian dinner in the normal Lido buffet - the staff will tell you which night that is if you ask.

IMG_20231012_210142.jpg

IMG_20231011_193955.jpg

IMG_20231011_194002.jpg

• Like 2

On QM2 I just informed the Maitre'D on the first night (shellfish anaphylaxis allergy) and like said above they gave me next night's menu with the shellfish dishes marked to make them easy to avoid.