Trip Cancellation Insurance

Smitheroo

Is it possible to buy just trip cancellation/interruption insurance without medical? I really like GeoBlue which is a medical only policy. As someone on Medicare with several pre-existing conditions it seems like a good deal. The Norwegian Cruise LIne Mastercard does not have this feature. (trip cancellation insurance0  My chase card does.  I'm trying to figure out if I should charge trip related expenses on my Chase card  and forego the points on my NCL card.  

Do you get travel points or cashback on your Chase card? Unless it is important for you to get to a certain level on your NCL card as quickly as possible, I'd go with the Chase card and get the insurance.

• Like 1

I would just make sure you understand the credit card's travel insurance coverage very well.   I have had good luck cancelling 2 cruises when I had 3rd party travel insurance, I got everything back I was owed.   However, with a "free" benefit on a credit card I would be suspicious.  Travel insurance can get very complicated in terms of what is covered and what is not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAcruising said:

Do you get travel points or cashback on your Chase card? Unless it is important for you to get to a certain level on your NCL card as quickly as possible, I'd go with the Chase card and get the insurance.

Ok thanks, I figured that would be the answer

1 hour ago, IAcruising said:

thank you that makes sense

On 10/31/2023 at 5:04 PM, Smitheroo said:

Is it possible to buy just trip cancellation/interruption insurance without medical? I really like GeoBlue which is a medical only policy. As someone on Medicare with several pre-existing conditions it seems like a good deal. The Norwegian Cruise LIne Mastercard does not have this feature. (trip cancellation insurance0  My chase card does.  I'm trying to figure out if I should charge trip related expenses on my Chase card  and forego the points on my NCL card.  

Hi Smitheroo,

There are aren't any trip cancellation/interruption insurance plans without medical.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Smitheroo,

There are aren't any trip cancellation/interruption insurance plans without medical.

Steve Dasseos

What about policies with minimal medical coverage such that the cost for that is also minimal.

Do those exist?

Thanks.

GC

7 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What about policies with minimal medical coverage such that the cost for that is also minimal.

Do those exist?

Thanks.

GC

That is what I am looking for.  If medical coverage is minimal you would think the price of the policy wouldnt be that great.  Apparently not how it is!   While looking for trip cancellation insurance *only* I've found policies for that with minimal medical that cost as much as a policy with robust medical coverage.  For someone with Medicare (and not relying on the minimal coverage provided by Medicare supplements) you need robust coverage ( i.e. 1,000,000 medical, 500,000 evac)  I can get this from GeoBlue for about the same amount of money as a policy that includes trip cancellation and minimal medical from another company.  This doesnt make sense ( I guess its a mistake to assume it will make sense)   GeoBlue has some travel interruption coverage in their single trip plan but I'm not sure about cancellation from the start. WIll have to do more research.  I would appreciate any advice from personal experience.    

On 11/1/2023 at 11:06 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Do those exist?

Thanks.

GC

Hi GC,

Yes, there are plans that have low medical limits. Some don't cover pre-existing conditions.

Steve

On 10/31/2023 at 6:04 PM, Smitheroo said:

43 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi GC,

Yes, there are plans that have low medical limits. Some don't cover pre-existing conditions.

Steve

It seems that for those like Smitheroo, who are *not* looking for any medical coverage at all, a "low limit" (of any aspect of a medical plan) or "no coverage" of some conditions

would not be any problem... if it allowed the policy to be significantly less expensive than a policy that does include medical more generally.

Thanks.

GC

On 11/3/2023 at 2:14 PM, GeezerCouple said:

It seems that for those like Smitheroo, who are *not* looking for any medical coverage at all, a "low limit" (of any aspect of a medical plan) or "no coverage" of some conditions

would not be any problem... if it allowed the policy to be significantly less expensive than a policy that does include medical more generally.

Thanks.

GC

I was wrong when I said that GeoBlue does not include any of the trip cancellation type features. It didnt seem to include cancellation but did include interruption  etc.  I really dont get this.  Yes, there are policies that cover these problems with low medical expense coverage but in my opinion the price of them is not low enough for what they do cover.  Why does trip cancellation for 1 person for $1500 cost almost $200?  (Allianz)  Is it because of my age (73) ? and if so, what does age have to do with the likelihood of having to cancel travel plans.  If you're elderly a greater chance you or your spouse will become ill or die?  Yes there is a small amount of medical expense coverage with this policy but for just a little more I can get 1,000,000 with GeoBlue and some of the other coverage as well (this is found under "additional benefits" )