Can I access APP on ship without wifi package?

Jayhoaps

Hello everyone, setting sail for my cruise on Monday and I a really excited.

Question, can I access the Princess App on the ship without WIFI package?

I would like to check the journey activities, make reservations for dining room, so I was just wondering if I can use the app on the ship without WIFI package. Thanks in advance. 

29 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

Question, can I access the Princess App on the ship without WIFI package?

I would like to check the journey activities, make reservations for dining room, so I was just wondering if I can use the app on the ship without WIFI package. Thanks in advance. 

Yes, you have full Intranet access in the App or on a notebook / tablet without Wifi package. The only thing you don't have in Internet access.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Yes, you have full Intranet access in the App or on a notebook / tablet without Wifi package. The only thing you don't have in Internet access.

Thanks so much, that has eased my mind. 

Would you know if I can message a fellow guest on the ship via the app as well? 

3 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Yes, no problem.

Thanks so much, that's so amazing. That's  a relief! 

Would you know in the app, do they post the menu in the main dining room or in the bars?

At present, it doesn't show on the app when I check it. 

7 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

Would you know in the app, do they post the menu in the main dining room or in the bars?

Yes, once onboard it shows the MDR menus for the day. And from around 10 pm for the next day .

No bar menus tho. You can also see the menus on your stateroom TV.

8 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

At present, it doesn't show on the app when I check it. 

I've never seen this work as long as you are not onboard.

4 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Yes, once onboard it shows the MDR menus for the day. And from around 10 pm for the next day .

Thanks so much, I greatly appreciate it. The information you have shared is so helpful. 

32 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

Would you know if I can message a fellow guest on the ship via the app as well? 

Just be aware that there is no automatic notification to your fellow guest that a message has been sent - they will only see your message by checking their app.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kamelia said:

Just be aware that there is no automatic notification to your fellow guest that a message has been sent - they will only see your message by checking their app.  

Thanks so much, I greatly appreciate it. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Keep in mind the app menus are not always the same as what the MDR menu shows that evening, so don't get your taste buds set for any one thing.

3 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Keep in mind the app menus are not always the same as what the MDR menu shows that evening, so don't get your taste buds set for any one thing.

Aww I see, so it's subject to change. I understand they don't show the menus for the bars? Do they have the menu at the actual bar though, would you know?

41 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

Aww I see, so it's subject to change. I understand they don't show the menus for the bars? Do they have the menu at the actual bar though, would you know?

I for the life of me can not remember any bars that serve food, but they do have the drink menus there. You can usually see the evening MDR's menus after lunch just outside the entrance doors to each dinning room each day. 

Not having an auditable alert when using their app is a big drawback. I've used it a number of times & view it as worthless.

If you have an internet connection, WhatsApp is a better choice.  

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Not having an auditable alert when using their app is a big drawback. I've used it a number of times & view it as worthless.

If you have an internet connection, WhatsApp is a better choice.  

And there are some indications that WhatsApp works even if one is not connected to the ship's Internet. Same for iMessages on the iPhones. The crew almost exclusively uses WhatsApp messaging.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

And there are some indications that WhatsApp works even if one is not connected to the ship's Internet. Same for iMessages on the iPhones. The crew almost exclusively uses WhatsApp messaging.

I don't believe it'll work when only using the intranet but I'll check it next week since I won't have an intranet. 

Check out https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2020/02/princess-to-roll-out-free-whatsapp-for-crew/

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The WhatsApp troubleshooting page specifically says that you must have internet. 

I intercepted that to mean, in order to make outside calls using WhatsApp you obviously have to access to the internet.

I'm still wondering if calls to another individual on that wi-fi system could be contacted via the intranet using WhatsApp?

Wishful thinking I suppose. 😄