Bringing dessert back to the cabin?

Mojito85

On 11/6/2023 at 6:50 PM, debenson0723 said:

I have always left my dishes from the buffet or room service in my cabin, and they were cleared out every day. I leave them stacked neatly in the same place, usually at the end of the desk. If it hadn't happened automatically, I would have mentioned to my room steward the first time they were left and asked them to be removed every day. 

Honestly if everyone did this, left a nice pile of clean organized plates stacked in the cabin, it probably wouldn't be so much of an issue.

People in general are disgusting.  Not us here on Cruise Critic of course but there are many who just leave uneaten plates of food all over the cabin or piled outside in the hallway.  I'm certain at one time we have all seen that randomly placed plate or glass throughout the ship.  I'm certain being in a toxicated state contributes to this.

I've seen a room or two as we walk by going down the hallway when the doors open and the rooms being cleaned and I feel bad for these stewards.  On one trip, after the ship went through some weather, we were walking down the hall and one steward was consoling another and we asked if she was okay and the Steward told us "The room is bad, very bad".  We didn't see the room but can only assume someone threw-up all over and it probably wasn't a pretty sight to see.

That brings up the issue when the ships do hit weather and you have people stacking dishes in rooms and hallways that have uneaten food it really does make a mess.  And the smell can linger even if it's steam cleaned.

Last - there is always the challenge of logistics.  As mentioned above with the wine glass.  If there isn't a system or process in place to get stacks of dishes from each cabin back to the dishwasher station on the ship, the steward has to figure out where to stack the plates, stop in their day and manage that process.  I can see with cutbacks that this may be more challenging than it has been in the past.  I believe this is the primary reason for the room service charge, to pay for the extra man hours of delivering and cleaning up food service in rooms.

My two cents - 

Im all for bringing a lite snack or dessert back to your room.  If you do bring food to your rooms, be respectful of the room steward.  Clean up after yourself. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wilmingtech said:

My two cents - 

Im all for bringing a lite snack or dessert back to your room.  If you do bring food to your rooms, be respectful of the room steward.  Clean up after yourself. 

Why some people may be told NO and others may just have a waiter “turn away” while they take it back could also be in part attitude. If your kind and respectful and a happy person who doesn’t cause trouble your much more likely to get those privileged exceptions. The person who never makes a mess and is kind to the waiter is more likely to not make a mess in their room and be kind to their steward.

11 hours ago, wilmingtech said:

Honestly if everyone did this, left a nice pile of clean organized plates stacked in the cabin, it probably wouldn't be so much of an issue.

People in general are disgusting.  Not us here on Cruise Critic of course but there are many who just leave uneaten plates of food all over the cabin or piled outside in the hallway.  I'm certain at one time we have all seen that randomly placed plate or glass throughout the ship.  I'm certain being in a toxicated state contributes to this.

I've seen a room or two as we walk by going down the hallway when the doors open and the rooms being cleaned and I feel bad for these stewards.  On one trip, after the ship went through some weather, we were walking down the hall and one steward was consoling another and we asked if she was okay and the Steward told us "The room is bad, very bad".  We didn't see the room but can only assume someone threw-up all over and it probably wasn't a pretty sight to see.

That brings up the issue when the ships do hit weather and you have people stacking dishes in rooms and hallways that have uneaten food it really does make a mess.  And the smell can linger even if it's steam cleaned.

Last - there is always the challenge of logistics.  As mentioned above with the wine glass.  If there isn't a system or process in place to get stacks of dishes from each cabin back to the dishwasher station on the ship, the steward has to figure out where to stack the plates, stop in their day and manage that process.  I can see with cutbacks that this may be more challenging than it has been in the past.  I believe this is the primary reason for the room service charge, to pay for the extra man hours of delivering and cleaning up food service in rooms.

My two cents - 

You have reminded me about the reason why I tip my room steward extr which is to thank her (its always been females so far) for be willing to do the work that she does.  I can imagine what they have to deal with it.  

hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how bringing a plate or glass back to your room is any different that ordering room service.  Isn't clearing these part of the cabin cleaning?   I've only had one room steward not take away dishes everyday as part of the cleaning.  She would let them stack up for a few days before removing them.  And this was back when continental breakfast was free and I would order each morning.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how bringing a plate or glass back to your room is any different that ordering room service.  Isn't clearing these part of the cabin cleaning?   I've only had one room steward not take away dishes everyday as part of the cleaning.  She would let them stack up for a few days before removing them.  And this was back when continental breakfast was free and I would order each morning.  

I would consider that as sub-par service.

9 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

that is bizarre. I wonder what her reasoning was.  I would think dirty dishes would be the first thing to be removed to get them out of the way. In this case i would leave a note asking her to please remove the dishes each day. Maybe it was expected then to put them in the hallway?  Still, she shouldnt have just ignored them as in "not my job"   Leaving used dishes in the hall outside your door used to be the custom. I'm remember from the 1960's. And they often didnt disappear very quickly.   I remember thinking the practice was odd

17 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

that is bizarre. I wonder what her reasoning was.  I would think dirty dishes would be the first thing to be removed to get them out of the way. In this case i would leave a note asking her to please remove the dishes each day. Maybe it was expected then to put them in the hallway?  Still, she shouldnt have just ignored them as in "not my job"   Leaving used dishes in the hall outside your door used to be the custom. I'm remember from the 1960's. And they often didnt disappear very quickly.   I remember thinking the practice was odd

This was just a one time thing for me.  Never had that problem with anyone else.  

Based on what I've read over the Carnival threads, it seems they ask you to place dishes in the hallway as they have someone wander the halls looking for stray dishes and forks to take to the dishwasher. On Norwegian, I've seen this some wandering the halls myself. I'm not looking for stray dishes, but do see it. It doesn't bother me, especially when I see an open door and peer into the extremely small interior and balcony rooms. There is no room to put a tray and the dishes that come with room service. I'd leave them in the hallway too. Stacked neatly, but still, in the hallway. 

Perhaps one of the wayward room stewards who no longer has a job due to cutbacks could be rehired to push a cart down the halls collecting food scraps and dirty dishes like they do on Carnival. Or would that be too high brow for Norwegian? 

Far as I'm concerned though, leave your dishes in the hallway. Nothing wrong with it at all! 

21 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Based on what I've read over the Carnival threads, it seems they ask you to place dishes in the hallway as they have someone wander the halls looking for stray dishes and forks to take to the dishwasher. On Norwegian, I've seen this some wandering the halls myself. I'm not looking for stray dishes, but do see it. It doesn't bother me, especially when I see an open door and peer into the extremely small interior and balcony rooms. There is no room to put a tray and the dishes that come with room service. I'd leave them in the hallway too. Stacked neatly, but still, in the hallway. 

Perhaps one of the wayward room stewards who no longer has a job due to cutbacks could be rehired to push a cart down the halls collecting food scraps and dirty dishes like they do on Carnival. Or would that be too high brow for Norwegian? 

Far as I'm concerned though, leave your dishes in the hallway. Nothing wrong with it at all! 

If the cart is around and there is space I would put my dishes in that space on the cart.  I think I read something that said not to put your dishes outside your door? 

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

And I'm the opposite! OK, if it was relatively clean dishes neatly stacked I might accept it. But when it's half-eaten food and it's there in the hallway for hour(s) I find it disgusting! (My last two cruises were on deck 5 on Star if that makes a difference. Dishes could be in the halway for LONG times!)
Having said that, I do understand it since there may be little to no space to put it in the room. I would appreciate some place, maybe a trolley or something, where people could put their dirty dishes instead of just putting them on the floor. One can dream...

46 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

The problem with dishes in the hallway is accessibility. Dishes on both sides make it hard or even impossible for wheelchairs, scooters, and strollers to get through the hallway.

Not even a thought in my mind. Why? I'd love to see someone in a wheelchair/scooter/etc. pass by the large housekeeping carts. Heck, I can barely fit by those things (yea, I'm a tubby).  

A few dishes on the side of the road isn't going to impact anything compared to those!

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

If the cart is around and there is space I would put my dishes in that space on the cart.  I think I read something that said not to put your dishes outside your door? 

You may have read something like that. I vaguely remember it. Norwegian needs to figure it out. It's not the passengers fault the rooms are itsy bitsy. Be like Carnival and send a crew member through every couple hours to collect dishes. Boom. Done. We can all be civilized! 

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

Having said that, I do understand it since there may be little to no space to put it in the room. I would appreciate some place, maybe a trolley or something, where people could put their dirty dishes instead of just putting them on the floor. One can dream...

I'm with you! A cart would be grand! Or, sacrifice some revenue. Turn a room into a hallway collection zone. A place to throw garbage, dishes, that still half drunk fling from the night before. Heck, turn it into a closet where guests can get their own towels. Won't need stateroom stewards at all! Hey NCL, I just found you more cost cutting! Do I get a free cruise? 🤠

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not even a thought in my mind. Why? I'd love to see someone in a wheelchair/scooter/etc. pass by the large housekeeping carts. Heck, I can barely fit by those things (yea, I'm a tubby).  

A few dishes on the side of the road isn't going to impact anything compared to those!

You may have read something like that. I vaguely remember it. Norwegian needs to figure it out. It's not the passengers fault the rooms are itsy bitsy. Be like Carnival and send a crew member through every couple hours to collect dishes. Boom. Done. We can all be civilized! 

I'm with you! A cart would be grand! Or, sacrifice some revenue. Turn a room into a hallway collection zone. A place to throw garbage, dishes, that still half drunk fling from the night before. Heck, turn it into a closet where guests can get their own towels. Won't need stateroom stewards at all! Hey NCL, I just found you more cost cutting! Do I get a free cruise? 🤠

But the cart has wheels and there should be a steward nearby that can move it if needed. Unfortunately not so with dishes. In my opinion it should be hallway but that they get cleared more often. 

49 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

thinking about it the corridors on the Encore I went down the rooms were all on one side of it. PRobably different in different areas of the ship. Most of the trays of dishes I saw on the floor were in the identations that the room came off of. Still unsightly but not as much of a hazard

16 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Cabin stewards that I have asked have told me that clearing dishes is the room service responsibility, not the cabin steward responsibilty.  (Hence, why I leave them neatly stacked against my door in the hall. Room service then picks them up when they make rounds.   As for accessibility, I set it into the recessed area, not the main hallway.)  There isn't really a system in place for the cabin stewards to easily deal with them, they can't just toss them in their cart like they do towels and linens. 

It would be nice if cruiselines just make it clear what passengers SHOULD do. It is extremely common for people to bring buffet food to their room, not just room service, and drinks as they walk around, so dishes are an issue for a lot of cabins.

Edited by skittl1321
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Cabin stewards that I have asked have told me that clearing dishes is the room service responsibility, not the cabin steward responsibilty.  (Hence, why I leave them neatly stacked against my door in the hall. Room service then picks them up when they make rounds.   As for accessibility, I set it into the recessed area, not the main hallway.)  There isn't really a system in place for the cabin stewards to easily deal with them, they can't just toss them in their cart like they do towels and linens. 

It would be nice if cruiselines just make it clear what passengers SHOULD do. It is extremely common for people to bring buffet food to their room, not just room service, and drinks as they walk around, so dishes are an issue for a lot of cabins.

I learned something from your comment- I didnt realize that it was the responsibility of Room Service to pick them up.  I knew you can call Room Service and ask them to pick them up but I didnt know they made rounds.  I never order room service and dont plant to so dont know much about how that works.