Meraviglia 11/13-11/19 Bermuda YC Review Live

burdcats

17 hours ago, jcpc said:

but they definitely decided to err on the side of caution and not have you guys deal with the higher waves and wind going from Bermuda to NYC.

So this is where Meraviglia is being reported to be right now (right smack in the middle of 44kt wind gusts) on its way from Bahamas to NYC...  Meanwhile, the path from Bermuda to NYC appears to be......... I dunno, as I'm not a meteorologist... 

image.png.a61b30ad719050d6699375149b69436a.png

13 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

What has happened to the live has it gone to memorex?

images.jpeg

We got off the ship in Nassau and flew home. Wednesday night was bad and we were watching the storm system that Mera will sail through all the way home. We weren’t interested in continuing so we broke voyage. They didn’t seem surprised, nor did it seem we were the first people to do so. Flight home had some turbulence as we passed over the storm, but overall uneventful and we slept like babies in a bed without a gap in the middle 😂 

54 minutes ago, buffet24 said:

So this is where Meraviglia is being reported to be right now (right smack in the middle of 44kt wind gusts) on its way from Bahamas to NYC...  Meanwhile, the path from Bermuda to NYC appears to be......... I dunno, as I'm not a meteorologist... 

image.png.a61b30ad719050d6699375149b69436a.png

Yep. This is why we broke voyage. Trip insurance may cover some of the fees, but if not I don’t really care. We are safe and comfortable.

5 minutes ago, burdcats said:

Yep. This is why we broke voyage. Trip insurance may cover some of the fees, but if not I don’t really care. We are safe and comfortable.

When you guys went Radio Silent... I kinda had a feelin' that's what you guys might have done.  Good for you guys.   I feel a bit woozie just looking at the Wind Map above...  Can't imagine going through that for 2 more days...  What a strange, head-scratcher of a decision on the ship's diversion for this voyage...  It almost seems as if the ship is chasing after the bad winds... Sleep well and rest up for your next planned voyage!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Pretty sure know who you are talking about.  Runs around constantly but can't recall something more than five minutes out.

Chewy filet, yep, I stopped ordering after four of seven like rubber.  It had been my go to.

He was so odd. Very high strung and absolutely a nightmare to deal with after. He overcompensated so much we didn’t even get food in our mouth before someone else was bothering us. The last day before we broke voyage they straight up served us bread in our room (not GF) and them put croutons on our salads. Non celiac people got to eat, but the three of us with celiac just heated up some noodles we brought with us and didn’t eat anything. Too afraid they would gluten us and we would be puking on the flight home. 

It's not bad, simple roll. I have been on much worse. There are no sick bags placed  out. Nothing is falling off tables, I am not falling out of my bed.. It's November in the Atlantic and we are following a low up the coast. Heck we even saw two rainbows and then went straight into a rain squall.

Now when we hit those whales and there is a loud bang with a shake now that's scary.

Edited by Brighton Line
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2023 at 11:06 AM, burdcats said:

Forgot to post yesterday. Had a negative experience with a head staff member in the Yacht club, but he fixed it rather quickly and was very professional. He did however make me cry, but I think that was due to the Gala night stress and a misunderstanding on his part. I meant to let him know of an issue and he thought I was angry so was overly defensive. He made up for it this morning being super accommodating and kind. He also apologized. Humanity has emotions, and he seems to be on the better side of humanity. 

Just have to ask...what did he do that made you cry?

Anyway, glad you made the decision to abort......rolling around isn't fun.  Been there....done that...don't like it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Just have to ask...what did he do that made you cry?

Anyway, glad you made the decision to abort......rolling around isn't fun.  Been there....done that...don't like it.

he told me that it was my fault that my son got gluten. He said that because we sat at a different table it was our fault. They sat the kids over in the corner, so me and my husband could have a date night at our own table. We cleared it with the head waiter during our breakfast that day they were the ones that seated us at the tables they did. Then he told me that he was going to call the medical area because if my son was sick, we needed to be confined. I told him that just because he fed my son gluten doesn’t mean my son is sick it just means that they fed him gluten , he was just arguing to make himself look good and make me look bad. He also had a very aggressive tone and was very loud. He was also standing a few inches from my face. 

Just now, burdcats said:

he told me that it was my fault that my son got gluten. He said that because we sat at a different table it was our fault. They sat the kids over in the corner, so me and my husband could have a date night at our own table. We cleared it with the head waiter during our breakfast that day they were the ones that seated us at the tables they did. Then he told me that he was going to call the medical area because if my son was sick, we needed to be confined. I told him that just because he fed my son gluten doesn’t mean my son is sick it just means that they fed him gluten , he was just arguing to make himself look good and make me look bad. He also had a very aggressive tone and was very loud. He was also standing a few inches from my face. 

There was apparently someone from corporate on the cruise inspecting the kitchens that night and he was very agitated before we said anything. Understandably so, but still not an appropriate reaction to have to a customer. She did a great job of calming him down and de-escalating the situation. He was very apologetic afterwards and the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, burdcats said:

Wow...he's certainly not a diplomat.

I imagine it's hard to travel when there are food sensitivites, especially a child with sensativities. 

It doesn't matter what the age of the child (or adult for that matter) is; in YC I'd assume there's better communications than the MDR.

On the first post, you were going to decide if you're "a cruising family".  About the movement of the ship....it's a ship, it moves.  As I said earlier, YC is located in the worst part of the ship if the ocean is rough. Next time, if there is a next time....book the lowest cabin in the middle for a smoother sail.  

5 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Wow...he's certainly not a diplomat.

I imagine it's hard to travel when there are food sensitivites, especially a child with sensativities. 

It doesn't matter what the age of the child (or adult for that matter) is; in YC I'd assume there's better communications than the MDR.

On the first post, you were going to decide if you're "a cruising family".  About the movement of the ship....it's a ship, it moves.  As I said earlier, YC is located in the worst part of the ship if the ocean is rough. Next time, if there is a next time....book the lowest cabin in the middle for a smoother sail.  

We are not a cruising family. This was our fifth cruise, and three out of the five have had bad weather. The two that were good were so good, which is why we continued, but I just don’t think this is the right vacation for us. And this was the first time we’ve actually booked a high-level suite. Usually we are on the fifth floor with a balcony in the middle. 

Nervous about booking such a high level on the ship, especially towards the front of the ship. It certainly wasn’t ideal, and the movement was greatly exaggerated. I just don’t think I like having to put my food safety in someone else’s hands and hoping for the best. Unfortunately, when gluten is introduced into the diet, not only are the three of us sick for the night, puking and such, but we are sick for about two weeks afterwards as well. it causes a lot of inflammation as well that exacerbates other issues. I think I would rather just go on a vacation and eat at restaurants that are dedicated gluten-free. There are always good options for that when we visit various cities and countries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So sorry for your experience, OP. We were on the same cruise and did enjoy it. It helped that we have been to Bermuda already on multiple cruises. We had been to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas before also, but found some different things to do this time.

We were not bothered by any "turbulence" as we have been on much worse, but this certainly varies by the individual. We take a Bonine over-the-counter tablet daily on a cruise and it seemed to do the trick in this case as well. 

We had not been on MSC before and really enjoyed the diversity of musical entertainment and many other features on the ship. We did the Aurea experience and were on deck 12 mid-ship.

Our only negative part of the cruise really was the buffet due to it's rectangular design and "linear" approach. It was a bit of a zoo, particularly for breakfast, so we went to the MDR for breakfast for the last few days. 

We loved the anytime dining experience for dinner. We were immediately brought to a window table .... typically had dinner around 7 - 7:30pm. 

Glad you got home safely and wish you happier cruises ahead.

• Like 1

We went over to Cocoa Village (a town no where near Cocoa Beach). It was about a 15 minute Uber ride. Nice town with lots of shops and restaurants and a river walk area. We had lunch there. 

We have already been to NASA and Disney independent of cruising. We also have been to Cocoa Beach and Ron Jon.  

The weather was not good for the beach anyway, so this worked out great. I think my husband had read about the town in Southern Living magazine. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, buffet24 said:

What did you guys end up doing at Port Canaveral?

Stayed on the ship.

In June did the 7 day to Port Canaveral and Nassau so it was Deja Vu all over again to quote Yogi

In June we took and Uber to Coco Beach and walked to Ron Jon's and then back to the ship to watch the dogs sniff the pallets as the ship provisions in Florida when it stops there.

• Haha 1