Medical coverage on cruise from Montreal to Boston.

muffin

Considering 7 day trip as above. We leave from Canada, have several stops in Canadian ports and Canadian trip on St Lawence River. Then have three days in USA in Maine and Boston. Coming home immediately. Our credit card will cover three days trip to US anytime. I am not worried about needing medical help on the ship as I  could get off in Canada and get treatment.I am just wondering if somehow or other this whole trip is considered American and I would not be covered? Anybody know.? Also. If we reversed trip, is it an American trip all the way? Even though we are in Canadian ports?  Thx. 

22 minutes ago, muffin said:

Considering 7 day trip as above. We leave from Canada, have several stops in Canadian ports and Canadian trip on St Lawence River. Then have three days in USA in Maine and Boston. Coming home immediately. Our credit card will cover three days trip to US anytime. I am not worried about needing medical help on the ship as I  could get off in Canada and get treatment.I am just wondering if somehow or other this whole trip is considered American and I would not be covered? Anybody know.? Also. If we reversed trip, is it an American trip all the way? Even though we are in Canadian ports?  Thx. 

Once you board the ship, you are no longer "in" any country, but are considered "on foreign soil".  Medical expenses onboard ships are typically charged to your onboard account.  If you seek medical care while in port, you will be charged whatever their costs are on the spot.

As a ppast travel consultant, and as a Canadian, you need travel insurance anytime you leave your province. Some provinces will give you SOME coverage but usually not. We did this cruise in September....Montreal to Boston by way of newfoundland. Bought full coverage for all 11 days. It's not cheap but well worth the peace of mind.

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Keep in mind your provincial MSP doesn't count outside of BC even in Canada. Get the appropriate trip insurance. If you can afford the cruise, make a point of affording the insurance.

14 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Once you board the ship, you are no longer "in" any country, but are considered "on foreign soil".  Medical expenses onboard ships are typically charged to your onboard account.  If you seek medical care while in port, you will be charged whatever their costs are on the spot.

Actually, not true. Your provincial coverage will cover you in any province for whatever you are covered fir in your home province and bill you anything you don’t get covered at home. I know this from experience. You can buy inexpensive Canadian coverage to cover you for everything else in Canada. The us portion won’t be cheap, however

what I would double check is 1. Does the whole trip have to be paid for by this credit card in order for coverage to apply.  2. Are you still covered if you are over 65. This is the cutoff for most of these types of “free” coverage and 3. Will it cover you and your spouse/partner or just the holder of the credit card.

Edited by superoma
Correct
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all! Excellent comments and questions. Think the prudent thing  is just to bite the bullet and pay as if it were any other cruise we have ever taken. Just hoped it might be different.  Cheers.