Will Celebrity deny boarding if passport less than 6 months before expiration?

DimSum

20 hours ago, DimSum said:

Hello

Not sure if this is the correct board to ask.  I'm working on my online check-in and realized that my passport expires within 6 months after my cruise.  I am cruising at the end of December 2023 and my passport expires end of April 2024.  Will Celebrity or the port agent deny me boarding if my passport is not more than 6 months after my cruise?  I'm currently looking into renewing my passport now that I realized that it expires next year.

Has anyone been denied boarding with a passport that is close to expiration?

It will depend on your nationality and itinerary. Have you checked the document requirements on your confirmation?

• Like 1

Thank you for all the comments and recommendations.

For clarification, (I guess I didn't think about writing that info when I first wrote my post), I am a US Citizen living in the US. 

When I had entered my passport info and the expiration date of the passport during check-in, the website "highly recommended" that my passport expire more than 6 months from the travel date.

After reviewing Celebrity's documentation requirements and options, I'm going to use my US Naturalization certificate and state driver's license. I'm so use to using my passport for traveling I didn't know I could use other forms of ID for a closed loop cruise.

I had same issue with cruise over Christmas and passport expiring in April.

I applied for renewal passport, paid the expedite fee, and sent via Post Office for $9.95.

Also paid for the fee to overnight back to me.

Passport was back in 3 weeks.

Our grandchilden applied for passports (first timers) with no expedite and received them within a month.

1 hour ago, DimSum said:

Thank you for all the comments and recommendations.

For clarification, (I guess I didn't think about writing that info when I first wrote my post), I am a US Citizen living in the US. 

When I had entered my passport info and the expiration date of the passport during check-in, the website "highly recommended" that my passport expire more than 6 months from the travel date.

After reviewing Celebrity's documentation requirements and options, I'm going to use my US Naturalization certificate and state driver's license. I'm so use to using my passport for traveling I didn't know I could use other forms of ID for a closed loop cruise.

You should be fine unless your itinerary includes Martinique or Guadeloupe. They require passports for US citizens and you’ll need to check their requirements about expiration dates.

In any case, I would use my passport for the purpose of proof of citizenship for the cruise. In case of emergency, you can absolutely use it to return to the US by air as long as it is valid.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

My daughter expedited her two children’s passports and got them in six weeks but it cost a total of $300 for two. Kids cost more as they are not considered renewals.

kids' passports cost more because they are only good for 5 years instead of 10 and because you must apply in person and pay the acceptance fee, but not because they are not considered renewals.

Adult Applicant:

Passport Book DS-82 $130

Child Applicants:

Product Form  Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book DS-11 $100 $35

Our adult passports took 8 weeks this summer without expediting.

@DimSum

We tried to be proactive and went to apply for our kid's passport last week but the USPS lady wanted to take DS's current passport and told us it'd be cancelled right away anyway. So, we kept his current passport expiring in January for our November closed loop cruise in 10 days, and we'll apply for a new passport when we come back.

10 hours ago, DimSum said:

just use your passport, and bring your naturalization certificate with you just in case. You cannot fly back with the naturalization certificate in case of an emergency, as it was already pointed out.

We are naturalized as well, but we never bring our certificates with us on a cruise. We cruise only closed loop Caribbean itineraries up to the expiration date of our passports and then apply for renewed passports.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

just use your passport, and bring your naturalization certificate with you just in case. You cannot fly back with the naturalization certificate in case of an emergency, as it was already pointed out.

We are naturalized as well, but we never bring our certificates with us on a cruise. We cruise only closed loop Caribbean itineraries up to the expiration date of our passports and then apply for renewed passports.

It seems like OP might have confused themselves into the wrong conclusion. Their passport is a much better document than naturalization papers. Apparently the word “recommended” is throwing them. Celebrity is not recommending using naturalization papers or birth certificates. Their recommendation on six months is to cover themselves as some itineraries could require six months. The closed loop cruise they are taking does not. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2