Attention to detail - Seabourn newbie just off Sojourn (long post)

dgannett

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

And not many people use the restaurant for breakfast or lunch even when they do open it.

Use it or lose it is what is happening on many lines.

Not much point staffing and empty restaurant.

There is not enough room in Colonnade to handle  the passengers load, especially when weather is not cooperating.  Therefore The Restaurant should be open to serve people who would like to eat in a timely and more importantly a civilized manner. If they want to be a Luxury Line, then be a Luxury Line. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, markham said:

A business school analysis would reveal all, and I’d bet a Seabourn “comfort food” themed Colonnade lunch buffet (which, believe it or not is a thing) that it’s about food budgets

On our Venture cruise we noticed that half (and sometimes more) of the 'Inspirations' appetizers were vegetarian almost every night. I wondered the same thing...is that a cost cutting measure hidden within the menu?

49 minutes ago, markandjie said:

On our Venture cruise we noticed that half (and sometimes more) of the 'Inspirations' appetizers were vegetarian almost every night. I wondered the same thing...is that a cost cutting measure hidden within the menu?

It may be a cost cutting measure, but I suspect it's a response to current dietary preferences. Good vege dishes can be more expensive and labor intensive.  Note I said "can be". 😃  I love meat, but find myself eating less of it.  Plant based diets with a smaller animal protein are becoming more prevalent. 

• Like 5

On 11/9/2023 at 3:28 PM, Mr Luxury said:

Don't forget the spa suites on the smaller ships were an add on and were not on the original build.

There were cabanas and chairs where you could book a massage in that area.

In reality this space was never used except for crew parties. 

Sesbourn decided to put four suites there.

They are lovely looking over the stern of the ship but are a bit of a pain getting to them via the wooden staircase.

I wouldn't think that it was great for those who are not that mobile or fit.

Or for special dinners for invited guests as we once had.  It was a great experience and then a year or two later converted, as you said to Spa Suites.  Never stayed in one as heard potential for lots of soot but once sailed thru part of the Panama Canal drinking very good champagne with friends who were in a Spa Suite and agree great views.

16 hours ago, markham said:

“If you build it they will come”.

I am not concerned with Seabourn’s excuses re usage as to why they don’t bother with breakfast and lunch service in the MDR. And given that all they do offer is the cafeteria Colonnade or poolside then. Oh, and Sushi on 2/5 ships at lunchtime.

We all know other true luxury lines. For fun try comparing the extensive lunch menus of the 5 restaurants on Silver Dawn or the Queens or Princess Grill restaurants of QM2 to those of the Seabourn classic ships. And let’s be honest: who wants to go to an occasionally-open Seabourn MDR lunch with only 3 appetizer courses and 3 main courses? That’s it!

The fact of the matter is that Seabourn did not build in the luxury concept that luxury lines embrace and they don’t want to do so - or presumably you would be getting it by now. Too bad, then.

A business school analysis would reveal all, and I’d bet a Seabourn “comfort food” themed Colonnade lunch buffet (which, believe it or not is a thing) that it’s about food budgets, provisioning organization, ships’ staffing levels and storage/prep capacities.

How about a turnaround in 2024?

Happy and healthy sailing!

Try Regent Markham always sit down service available at at least 1 resturant for lunch and if a sea day 2 options.  At least on the newest ships.  Sailed on Splendor and will be on Grandeur in 3 weeks.  A bit larger than SB E class but many more options for dining and bars. And Obs bar so much more spacious.  BTW have not yet experienced SS but from your posts you obviously love it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, saminina said:

Why keep harping about food?   SB customers tend to be happy with the "we had a good time anyway" motto.    Much of the quality crew of a few years ago figured out what loyal passengers have not.  

Unfortunately many of "the quality crew of a few years ago" are no longer with Seabourn. I have sailed with Scenic ocean 3 times and I know more crew on Scenic when I board that are ex-Seabourn than when I board Seabourn now who I know from a prior Seabourn cruise.  Years ago first day on a Seabourn ship we'd see 15+ crew we knew from prior cruises.  Last July there were maybe 10 crew we saw the entire 21 days who we knew from the past.  Sad.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, highplanesdrifters said:

It may be a cost cutting measure, but I suspect it's a response to current dietary preferences. Good vege dishes can be more expensive and labor intensive.  Note I said "can be". 😃  I love meat, but find myself eating less of it.  Plant based diets with a smaller animal protein are becoming more prevalent. 

My dietary preference is definitely light and healthy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mauzac said:

So is mine!  (Doesn't mean to say it always happens though!  I love a napa burger but limit myself to one a week!)

We love the Napa burgers too--or even the regular burgers.  I will admit to having maybe two a week--lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Is it correct to assume the Napa burger will be gone when the TK Grille exits? 

I have no way of knowing, but would assume if they are a Thomas Keller product, they will not be available.  Quick frankly, I have found the regular Seabourn hamburgers to be just as good.  

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Is it correct to assume the Napa burger will be gone when the TK Grille exits? 

Seabourn owns all the TK recipes, so ultimately it will be Seabourn which will decide whether to keep or do away with the Napa burger etc.