Has anyone used the StockPerks app yet to apply for the shareholder benefits?

Ken the cruiser

24 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Agreed, if they are doing 1000s a day then that means they are giving away, potentially, $100,000 per day of revenue.  I doubt NCL is doing anywhere near that.  My guess would be if they do 100/week, that would be a busy week.

You’re correct. I just checked and NCL has 17 ships. If the average booking was 7 days in length, that would equate to 50 cruises per year per ship x 17 x an average of 1500 double occupancy-filled cabins on each cruise equating to roughly 1,275,000 bookings per year. Divide that by 2000 business days a year, that equals to an average of roughly 637 NCL bookings per day or around 3000 per week.

Now, as far as how many of those staterooms currently have at least one occupant that has seized the opportunity to purchase 100 shares of NCLH stock at its super cheap rate right now, I have no idea. But I am sure NCLH notices an upward trend.

But on top of that, there are also 7 Oceania and 6 Regent ships in the NCLH fleet, of which I would imagine most of their repeat cruisers have now purchased 100 shares of the much cheaper $13 a share NCLH stock.

But again, this is only a guess as I really have no clue.

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

If there are 3000 bookings per week, I would guess that the aforementioned 100 OBC requests per week would be about right.

Like I said, I have no clue. But on the outside chance NCLH decides to proceed with this online SHB submission option like Carnival Corp seems to be heading, you can now say you’ve heard about it. 😁

18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Good points. You got me there. But then so does our Travel Agency we book our cruises with. Like I said, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

But I know how my travel agent makes money.  How does StockPerks make money?  Who is their customer?

A phrase to keep in mind is "If you aren't paying for it, you are not the customer."  That can even apply to the CruiseCritic message board; we are not their customers, the advertisers are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

But I know how my travel agent makes money.  How does StockPerks make money?  Who is their customer?

A phrase to keep in mind is "If you aren't paying for it, you are not the customer."  That can even apply to the CruiseCritic message board; we are not their customers, the advertisers are.

Actually, I don’t really care. All I can say is that Carnival Corp is moving towards using this option is a big way with regards to directing applicable guests to use the StockPerks app to request SHB OBC. For us, we’re good with using it as long as I only have to provide my name and email address to register and use the “Alinea” option to manually upload the page of our brokerage statement that has our CC and NCLH share information. If NCLH chooses to continue to allocate their manpower to process SOBC requests received via email, that’s cool too. We’re good either way.

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, I don’t really care.

That is what you say. However, since actions speak louder than words, the fact that you even posted the thread, and the over-the-top advocating/selling you've been doing says otherwise.

If NCLH chooses to continue to allocate their manpower to process SOBC requests received via email, that’s cool too. We’re good either way.

I don't see how this matters. If I send my info to NCL, they have to process it. If I send my info to StockPerks, then StockPerks sends it to NCL, NCL still has to process it to award the OBC. The only thing StockPerks can do is the submission, and it doesn't help me since I have to submit it one way or the other.

• Like 1

As a NCL stockholder who has profited greatly from is what currently is, do I have a benefit to switch to this new thing? Granted, I've read through this quickly, and I'm a bit hazed. But can someone summarize for me, like:

Today A=B

What's the equation for the new thing?

9 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Great question.

The current model is:

Guest -->--(info)-->NCL-->(obc)-->Guest

The new model would be:

Guest -->--(info)-->StockPerks-->(info)-->NCL-->(obc)-->Guest

I still don't see the advantage. And we still don't know how StockPerks makes their money.

--Their money has to come from the guest (sorry, no), the cruise line (as a shareholder, sorry, no...I'd rather NCL give the money to ME), thru ads (sorry, no...I don't want to watch ads), or they sell the information (sorry, no).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IAcruising said:

As a NCL stockholder who has profited greatly from is what currently is, do I have a benefit to switch to this new thing? Granted, I've read through this quickly, and I'm a bit hazed. But can someone summarize for me, like:

Today A=B

Personally, I would wait until the next time you submit a future NCL SHB request, and NCL responds by suggesting you resubmit your request in some other fashion, such as by using the StockPerks online app, similar to what's currently going on with some of the Carnival Corp cruise lines, such as CCL and PCL and two of their other lines. The only reason I opened this thread was to see if NCL had started using this option. And from the responses I've received so far, the answer is no.

10 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

I don't see how this matters. If I send my info to NCL, they have to process it. If I send my info to StockPerks, then StockPerks sends it to NCL, NCL still has to process it to award the OBC. The only thing StockPerks can do is the submission, and it doesn't help me since I have to submit it one way or the other.

Again, this is only a guess from over here in the peanut gallery. But with regards to your above highlighted statements.

If I send my info to NCL, they have to process it.

Yes, I would imagine a variety NCL employees would have to perform the applicable daily functions, whatever they might be, to retrieve, evaluate, and then take the appropriate steps to approve or disapprove the SHB forms submitted in whatever format that is currently allowed, such as by email or possibly by fax or on rare occasion snail mail, before any SOBC is posted to an applicable booking.

If I send my info to StockPerks, then StockPerks sends it to NCL, NCL still has to process it to award the OBC.

Yes, but with certain checks already performed, some manual and some automated, before the SHB request was forwarded to the cruise line. For example, StockPerks would first verify the applicant owned at least 100 shares of NCLH stock and that the request was submitted within the allotted time frame; otherwise, the applicant's request would be rejected at that point. For example, NCL might only be accepting SHB requests for sailings on or before a certain date (e.g., July 31, 2024). StockPerks would then accumulate that verified data and then submit the requests in bulk format to the applicable cruise line, possibly at the end of each business day.

Note: StockPerks actually informed us it would take 5 business days once our validated "request" was submitted to PCL before any SHB OBC would be posted to our account.

Once the cruise line receives the listing of validated requests, it would only require one employee to post the appropriate SOBC to the applicable bookings.

The only thing StockPerks can do is the submission, and it doesn't help me since I have to submit it one way or the other.

True. But my guess from a big picture viewpoint is this third-party service might provide the cruise Companies (e.g., NCLH, Carnival, and possibly RCG) with a means to significantly reduce their overhead costs associated with handling the daily SHB request process associated with the applicable cruise lines under their control when compared to the compensation the third-party vendor is asking for.

But as I said before, this is only my guess from over here in the peanut gallery.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Again, this is only a guess from over here in the peanut gallery. But with regards to your above highlighted statements.

If I send my info to NCL, they have to process it.

Yes, I would imagine a variety NCL employees would have to perform the applicable daily functions, whatever they might be, to retrieve, evaluate, and then take the appropriate steps to approve or disapprove the SHB forms submitted in whatever format that is currently allowed, such as by email or possibly by fax or on rare occasion snail mail, before any SOBC is posted to an applicable booking.

If I send my info to StockPerks, then StockPerks sends it to NCL, NCL still has to process it to award the OBC.

Yes, but with certain checks already performed, some manual and some automated, before the SHB request was forwarded to the cruise line. For example, StockPerks would first verify the applicant owned at least 100 shares of NCLH stock and that the request was submitted within the allotted time frame; otherwise, the applicant's request would be rejected at that point. For example, NCL might only be accepting SHB requests for sailings on or before a certain date (e.g., July 31, 2024). StockPerks would then accumulate that verified data and then submit the requests in bulk format to the applicable cruise line, possibly at the end of each business day.

Note: StockPerks actually informed us it would take 5 business days once our validated "request" was submitted to PCL before any SHB OBC would be posted to our account.

Once the cruise line receives the listing of validated requests, it would only require one employee to post the appropriate SOBC to the applicable bookings.

The only thing StockPerks can do is the submission, and it doesn't help me since I have to submit it one way or the other.

True. But my guess from a big picture viewpoint is this third-party service might provide the cruise Companies (e.g., NCLH, Carnival, and possibly RCG) with a means to significantly reduce their overhead costs associated with handling the daily SHB request process associated with the applicable cruise lines under their control when compared to the compensation the third-party vendor is asking for.

But as I said before, this is only my guess from over here in the peanut gallery.

Not even close (IMHO).

I recently submitted a request and had my OBC within a day...NCL's process is way more streamlined than the scenario you are trying to construct.

What you miss is that the NCL employee has access to the computer system that contains the names of ALL NCLH SHAREHOLDERS so they can instantly verify stock ownership. The same employee also has access to the computer system that posts the OBC to the shareholder's account. StockPerks will have neither, thus cannot save NCL any appreciable time.

5 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Not even close (IMHO).

I recently submitted a request and had my OBC within a day...NCL's process is way more streamlined than the scenario you are trying to construct.

What you miss is that the NCL employee has access to the computer system that contains the names of ALL NCLH SHAREHOLDERS so they can instantly verify stock ownership. The same employee also has access to the computer system that posts the OBC to the shareholder's account. StockPerks will have neither, thus cannot save NCL any appreciable time.

Sounds good. I guess NCL we remain status quo for the foreseeable future. 

On 11/10/2023 at 12:55 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

equating to roughly 1,275,000 bookings per year. Divide that by 2000 business days a year, that equals to an average of roughly 637 NCL bookings per day or around 3000 per week.

I think you meant 200 business days a year not 2000. Changes the numbers significantly! 

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same dilemma as Carnival is refusing to process Shareholder OBC UNLESS this 3rd party app is used. Also remember it is an app and not a website. They are also encouraging me to share my brokerage account login and claiming that the app will not store this information once I log off. Is this even legal to force customers to use 3rd party apps and share sensitive personally identifiable and financial information with such 3rd parties that can use one's data for marketing and other purposes? No problems getting Shareholder OBC's with other cruise lines such as Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Carnival Corporation seems to be the problem child promoting and forcing such illegal requirements. I am open to using a website but to download an app on my phone is something I am not comfortable with and believe it is potentially unsafe and illegal. 

On 11/11/2023 at 12:58 PM, Capitan Obvious said:

Not even close (IMHO).

No NCL employee has a listing of all NCLH shareholders and their holding. This is a untrue statement. Do your realize how stupid that statement of yours is? The NCL employee has access to the cruise booking of the guest to post the OBC and that's it. Please do not spread fake news and make statements that are simply false and a figment of your imagination.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rajraj said:

I am in the same dilemma as Carnival is refusing to process Shareholder OBC UNLESS this 3rd party app is used. Also remember it is an app and not a website. They are also encouraging me to share my brokerage account login and claiming that the app will not store this information once I log off. Is this even legal to force customers to use 3rd party apps and share sensitive personally identifiable and financial information with such 3rd parties that can use one's data for marketing and other purposes? No problems getting Shareholder OBC's with other cruise lines such as Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Carnival Corporation seems to be the problem child promoting and forcing such illegal requirements. I am open to using a website but to download an app on my phone is something I am not comfortable with and believe it is potentially unsafe and illegal. 

You can avoid the brokerage login process by selecting the ALIVEA option rather than the default PLAID.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 8:49 AM, alanstarr said:

Which is exactly what I sent via the app as well. A PDF of my account with numbers redacted. No need to give them anything more than that. 

And "potentially dangerous" is such a broad statement; absolutely anything you do online is potentially dangerous to your privacy and finances. But there are such things as reasonable risks. 

I'm not trying to defend or be a fan-boy of the app. Just trying to tamper some of the knee-jerk resistance for those who haven't used it yet. 

"Potentially dangerous" is not a broad statement but a reasonable and conservative approach to manage risk. Just because of what you do online has a certain degree of inherent risks it does not mean that you stop using security protocols for things you do such as usernames and passwords, multi-factor authentication, firewalls, VPNs etc. It is not a knee-jerk reaction but a valid reaction when companies force others to download and use 3rd party apps. This should be the expected reaction to avoid potential abuse of data versus blindly following like cattle just because you believe everything you do online is risky.

You can avoid the brokerage login process by selecting the ALIVEA option rather than the default PLAID.

Hello Ken - I do not see these options at my end. Do you care elaborating what these options mean and where one can find them? Thanks

33 minutes ago, rajraj said:

Hello Ken - I do not see these options at my end. Do you care elaborating what these options mean and where one can find them? Thanks

This StockPerks subject has been discussed quite a bit over on the Princess forum. 

Basically, when you launch the StockPerks app, then click on Carnival Corp and plc (then the specific Carnival cruise line) or Norwegian Cruise Lines, if you go all the way to the bottom of the main corporation list.

IMG_5660.thumb.jpeg.a5e0dfee1bf390d981a8498557478778.jpeg

Then after clicking on “Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings - Onboard credit”, click on the blue “Validate” button.

IMG_5659.thumb.jpeg.e0738fe1e915e6c31765e23653843c6e.jpeg

Then click on the “Alinea” option, rather than the default Plaid option, to manually upload your brokerage statement when you are ready.

IMG_5661.thumb.jpeg.a7b95427ac1b6a1e6b39f8ec464c3848.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This StockPerks subject has been discussed quite a bit over on the Princess forum. 

Basically, when you launch the StockPerks app, then click on Carnival Corp and plc (then the specific Carnival cruise line) or Norwegian Cruise Lines, if you go all the way to the bottom of the main corporation list.

IMG_5660.thumb.jpeg.a5e0dfee1bf390d981a8498557478778.jpeg

Then after clicking on “Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings - Onboard credit”, click on the blue “Validate” button.

IMG_5659.thumb.jpeg.e0738fe1e915e6c31765e23653843c6e.jpeg

Then click on the “Alinea” option, rather than the default Plaid option, to manually upload your brokerage statement when you are ready.

IMG_5661.thumb.jpeg.a7b95427ac1b6a1e6b39f8ec464c3848.jpeg

Thanks. The App had since been updated and while you still follow the same steps to upload the brokerage statement you no longer have to choose Plaid, Alinea or any brokerage firm/option. This step has been removed and hence I had to ask you what you meant by Plaid/Alinea options. Additionally, to help all users you can completely skip entering personal and financial information in the pop-up screen that shows up asking for your annual income etc etc. All in all shame on Carnival for executing this change without proper communication or taking necessary steps to protect the financial information of its shareholders. 

15 minutes ago, rajraj said:

Thanks. The App had since been updated and while you still follow the same steps to upload the brokerage statement you no longer have to choose Plaid, Alinea or any brokerage firm/option. This step has been removed and hence I had to ask you what you meant by Plaid/Alinea options. Additionally, to help all users you can completely skip entering personal and financial information in the pop-up screen that shows up asking for your annual income etc etc. All in all shame on Carnival for executing this change without proper communication or taking necessary steps to protect the financial information of its shareholders. 

True, all the personal information when creating the StockPerks account is optional except for your name and email address. And, yes, it was weird Carnival Corp has not updated their shareholder benefits web page mentioning any of this yet, even though they are directing folks to use it instead of emailing in their SHB form.

• Like 1