NCL used Hotels in Venice

jkbec101

For those who've used NCL to book your hotel in Venice, can you please tell me which hotel they used.  

We're not going to use NCL, but I am trying to get an idea about quality, location, etc.  

We're book on the Breakaway out of Trieste, but plan on staying in Venice for two nights pre-cruise.

15 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

but I am trying to get an idea about quality, location, etc.  

i am guessing that this would be a first visit and the reply below assumes that.  If not your first visit you can stop reading now......😀

Many many previous threads about Venice hotels and you could try searching for them using the search tool which means not having to back page.  And do refer to the excellent VENICE FOR VISITORS WEBSITE  where you should find info on just about everything which would be helpful to you for your first visit.

Ideally you would want to be on or very close to Piazzale Roma, the last point at which land based transport  can be used and with easy connections to both the train station and the airport.  Amongst all the other info,the website above has a section on hotels in that area with descriptions and shown on a map.  Should you want a different location (and if a first visit you may not know this) you will be restricted to walking with your luggage or using the public vaporettos (which can be really crowded so challenging with luggage)or hiring a private water taxi which can be costly. You would also need to check if your chosen hotel has a private dock  for a water taxi or is close to a public vaporetto stop from where you could walk.  And do count the number of bridges between your stop and your hotel as you will need to carry your luggage up, across and down each bridge as they are mostly stepped.  Another option is to store your main  luggage at one of the left luggage storage facilities and carry only a small bag with your requirements for a couple of days.

There really are many previous threads you would find helpful to read and you could search under different headings, eg Venice Hotels, Venice left luggage, Venice public transportation etc etc. but the website V for V will cover much of that too.

A few to help you get started

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=venice hotels&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Edited by edinburgher

Oceania uses the St. Regis which used to be the Westin Europa/Regina. It is a lovely hotel with its own dock for water taxis. The Gritti Palace, expensive but worth it, also has its own dock. Both are near each other and walking distance to St. Marks and near vaporetto stops, the best way to get around Venice! 
spend the money for a water taxi to get to your hotel, so much easier

• 3 weeks later...

Had NCL book an after cruise hotel in Venice, one was a 3 star in St Marks square, but I went with Crowne Plaza East Quarto D'altino.  For one I prefer outside of Venice proper, and also IHG member.

Its a 10 minute train ride in, and next to a train stop.

On 11/15/2023 at 8:23 PM, Mkdvmz said:

Oceania uses the St. Regis which used to be the Westin Europa/Regina. It is a lovely hotel with its own dock for water taxis. The Gritti Palace, expensive but worth it, also has its own dock. Both are near each other and walking distance to St. Marks and near vaporetto stops, the best way to get around Venice! 

Both can be wildly expensive (upwards of $1500 a night for an entry level room) but both are part of Marriott Bonvoy and are a magnificent use of Bonvoy points if you can find the availability. The St Regis is more modern-- wouldn't be my first choice but its a spectacular hotel. The Gritti Palace is old Venice at it's best and I would consider to be a bucket list hotel in the city to stay in.

If talking about hotels of this caliber its also worth mentioning The Danieli. It used to be part of Marriott but is now undergoing a renovation to become the new Four Seasons. It is open during the renovation (they are doing one of the three palazzos that make up the hotel at a time so it shouldn't be a big disruption) so you have a chance to stay basically at a Four Seasons for less in the meantime. When it opens as a full Four Seasons I'm sure the rates will double. 

The St Regis and Gritti Palace are both wonderful hotels but just know what you are getting into and that there are ways to stay at both for less or even nothing.