Using E*trade to buy stock

Candy Apple 12

With the stock price dropping, I’m thinking of biting the bullet and finally buying stock to get the OBC for my two upcoming cruises. Does anyone have any experience with using E*trade to buy stock? This might be the easiest way to do it. Any negatives? It looks like it takes three business days to find your account, though. Hopefully the price stays low until then and goes up afterwards. 

Edited by Candy Apple 12
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

With the stock price dropping, I’m thinking of biting the bullet and finally buying stock to get the OBC for my two upcoming cruises. Does anyone have any experience with using E*trade to buy stock? This might be the easiest way to do it. Any negatives? It looks like it takes three business days to find your account, though. Hopefully the price stays low until then and goes up afterwards. 

Sure, while I don't have experience with them, E-Trade is as good as any brokerage, especially if it's just a small account with 100 shares of NCLH.  I don't believe they charge commission.  For different reasons, I have accounts with Fidelity and Schwab; I know those are commission free.  Both are easy to setup and use.

When you book your next cruise, you'll print out the form on the NCL website, send a copy of your brokerage statement showing the NCLH holding (blacking account your account number), and you're on your way.

Edited by phillygwm

15 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Sure, while I don't have experience with them, E-Trade is as good as any brokerage, especially if it's just a small account with 100 shares of NCLH.  I don't believe they charge commission.  For different reasons, I have accounts with Fidelity and Schwab; I know those are commission free.  Both are easy to setup and use.

When you book your next cruise, you'll print out the form on the NCL website, send a copy of your brokerage statement showing the NCLH holding (blacking account your account number), and you're on your way.

Thanks for mentioning Fidelity and Schwab. I was not aware of that they were commission free, as is E*Trade. Good to have options.

Do you live in the US? I assume you do since you are interested in an eTrade account. 

Do you have any retirement savings accounts through an employer such as a 401k, 403b or 457b or an IRA?  If so, you may be able to trade shares from funds within the account to purchase 100 shares of NCL. This would mean that you wouldn’t have to create a new brokerage account just for NCL. 

My NCL shares are in a retirement account. 

I purchased mine via trade about 1 year ago.  Easy to set up the purchase.  I think it took about 2 days for it to appear in my online portfolio.  Easy to print out proof of ownership statement that you send to NCL for the OBC ( just follow the instructions on the NCL website)

6 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Do you live in the US? I assume you do since you are interested in an eTrade account. 

Do you have any retirement savings accounts through an employer such as a 401k, 403b or 457b or an IRA?  If so, you may be able to trade shares from funds within the account to purchase 100 shares of NCL. This would mean that you wouldn’t have to create a new brokerage account just for NCL. 

Exactly what I did 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

It was  E*trade with whom I first bought NCL stock with. But any brokerage company will do

7 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

I looked into this, but it’s not feasible right now. Thank you for the suggestion. 

There a many online trading companies where you can by stocks commission free. Just do a little research

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

(i.e. Fidelity, Schwab or Vanguard).  Which one is best? 

these are all good.

ETrade, which was independent but now owned by Morgan Stanley, is an excellent brokerage platform and it's website and app are easy to use. Absolutely NO DRAWBACKs and they even have a good premium savings account that's currently paying 4.25%

Edited by kwokpot

18 hours ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

That's what we have.

SUPER easy & free. 

You send in a  screenshot of your 100 shares to get the OBC.

23 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

ETrade, which was independent but now owned by Morgan Stanley, is an excellent brokerage platform and it's website and app are easy to use. Absolutely NO DRAWBACKs and they even have a good premium savings account that's currently paying 4.25%

4.25% for a savings account? Wow! What’s the minimum deposit?

32 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

4.25% for a savings account? Wow! What’s the minimum deposit?

Ally is also offering 4.25%, no minimum deposit. Great way to earn interest on your money for your next cruise.

I used Schwab. They have many physical locations, which is a plus for me, just in case. Many money market funds you can buy with high rates. Or, easy to buy treasury bills (few days to 1 year) to get +5.40%, but more work to keep invested.

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

4-week T bills on auto-roll at Fidelity and chill. 

Current yield curve = 5.53% 😎

No work at all.

Farther you go out, the higher the yield. 4 week rolls works to minimize watching it.

Edited by richmke