Behind the scenes tour

ston

14 minutes ago, 2cwatkins2 said:

The current highlights info from the celebrity site, which I purchased, says no video or camera shots are allowed. But thanks, I just reconfirmed.

Thank you for pointing that out.  We have this booked for our Solstice cruise in April which was why I was asking earlier.  I went to my Cruise Planner to look at the language (below).  It says that photos and videos are "restricted" which doesn't necessarily mean prohibited--at least that is my interpretation.  But I could very well be wrong.

We've taken this tour one other time 2 years ago and I cannot remember what the language was in the Cruise Planner for that back then (to see if it changed).  However I did post the onboard instructions in Post #9 which prohibited videos in the Engine Control Room.

I guess I will wait to read what other people's experiences are going forward.

image.png.f07dca690da3b650bec45a5ed5cafcb2.png

6 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Thank you for pointing that out.  We have this booked for our Solstice cruise in April which was why I was asking earlier.  I went to my Cruise Planner to look at the language (below).  It says that photos and videos are "restricted" which doesn't necessarily mean prohibited--at least that is my interpretation.  But I could very well be wrong.

We've taken this tour one other time 2 years ago and I cannot remember what the language was in the Cruise Planner for that back then (to see if it changed).  However I did post the onboard instructions in Post #9 which prohibited videos in the Engine Control Room.

I guess I will wait to read what other people's experiences are going forward.

image.png.f07dca690da3b650bec45a5ed5cafcb2.png

You will see the recycling center, the meat room, storage, laundry, crew bar, engine room, kitchen, and "I95" etc. 

We have noted that they're now offering two somewhat different tours, but they appear to have a fair bit of overlap (Bridge and Engineering areas):

Inside Access: Behind-the-Scenes Ship Tour (2 hr) ($155 list price)

vs

Behind the Scenes: Engineering and Navigational Operations (1 hr 20 min) ($199 list price)

While shorter, the latter is at significantly higher cost.  Anyone familiar with this one?  Worth the discussion of lifeboat operation?

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

You will see the recycling center, the meat room, storage, laundry, crew bar, engine room, kitchen, and "I95" etc. 

Thank you.  We've done this tour once before and it also included the bridge.  There are two security screens you have to pass on the tour--one to go to the engine control room and one before you are allowed on the bridge.

I did the behind the scenes tour on the Solstice in August. Good tour, got a discount by reserving early. To answer an old question, we got the lanyard and a picture of us on the bridge that was complimentary (just go to the photo place to "order" it and pick it up). As for pictures, we were told no pictures on the bridge, but that we could take pictures of locations we went, but not I-95 walking between locations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dctravel said:

I did the behind the scenes tour on the Solstice in August. Good tour, got a discount by reserving early. To answer an old question, we got the lanyard and a picture of us on the bridge that was complimentary (just go to the photo place to "order" it and pick it up). As for pictures, we were told no pictures on the bridge, but that we could take pictures of locations we went, but not I-95 walking between locations.

Guess it's a good thing I've got the bridge photos from other days, then.  That's new since 2022 which is the last time we took bridge photos (didn't have any from Reflection at the time). 

Of particular interest to me are the maneuvering charts that demonstrate the sea trialed testing of certain maneuvers (e.g., a Williamson turn) and the distances involved in performing them.  Typically posted somewhere on the aft bulkhead of the bridge area.

36 minutes ago, BV0 said:

Does Celebrity offer a quick basic tour of the galley or something for free, or is everything pay now? I have not cruised Celebrity for years, but though there was a basic free tour available. 

Celebrity used to offer a free galley tour usually in the morning of the first sea day.  I have not seen that since cruising has restarted after Covid.  The screenshot  below was from a cruise in Dec 2019.

There still is a Captains Club Backstage Tour offered to Select members and above.

image.png.feef82fc3d4b3f9fa15b17b5b03956d6.png

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Celebrity used to offer a free galley tour usually in the morning of the first sea day.  I have not seen that since cruising has restarted after Covid.  The screenshot  below was from a cruise in Dec 2019.

There still is a Captains Club Backstage Tour offered to Select members and above.

image.png.feef82fc3d4b3f9fa15b17b5b03956d6.png

I can't blame them for eliminating the free one when people are willing to pay big dollars. I would like to take a tour but not at over $100.

4 minutes ago, BV0 said:

I can't blame them for eliminating the free one when people are willing to pay big dollars. I would like to take a tour but not at over $100.

I agree with you.  It has escalated quite a bit.  For our Apr 9 Solstice sailing, I bought it for $89.99 person during a 35% off Cyber Sale so the list price was $138.45 at the time.  Now the sale price is $138.99 (list is $155.10)!!  There are 9 different sea days that this tour is available during our trans-Pacific sailing.

image.png.22b5586b20afaff82c3f0b3150edd2c2.png

I signed up to do the tour on my upcoming November Summit cruise.  I have never seen it for free in all my years cruising (never been on Celebrity though).  I signed up for it right after I booked the cruise because I thought it would sell out immediately like my other cruises.  It's still available today 3 weeks from the cruise!  I'm super excited for it, it crosses off a bucket list experience.

8 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I agree with you.  It has escalated quite a bit.  For our Apr 9 Solstice sailing, I bought it for $89.99 person during a 35% off Cyber Sale so the list price was $138.45 at the time.  Now the sale price is $138.99 (list is $155.10)!!  There are 9 different sea days that this tour is available during our trans-Pacific sailing.

image.png.22b5586b20afaff82c3f0b3150edd2c2.png

There must be a lot non price sensitive people will to pay for the tours. 

Just now, mahdnc said:

Price insensitivity extends to more than just tours. 

I live in Las Vegas and see the outrages prices people pay for things and post their receipts online as a badge of honor.

I personally feel the regular Celebrity Cruise prices are high but not crazy. Their other items such as drinks, shore excursions, gratuutes, and of course specialty restaurants are quite high in my opinion. I try not spend extra on the cruise besides gratuities.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2024 at 8:12 PM, BV0 said:

I think the other reason the free galley tours are gone is that Celebrity is now marketing this which includes a galley tour which is showing in my Cruise Planner for our Solstice sailing next April.  The tour description even uses the "heartbeat of our operation" moniker that was used to advertise the free galley tour.

image.thumb.png.2aef858628eec47b51f9be542bc653d9.png