How to navigate San Juan with elderly parent

cmerrell

Hi everyone,

I am booked on the Caribbean Princess for Feb 2024, travelling with my mother who will be 85.  My mom has had both knees and one hip replaced in recent years.  She is able to walk but can't do long distances, lots of stairs or steep terrain.  Princess has no shore excursions for San Juan that are categorized as being 'easy'.  I know that Old Town is hilly in places, but we might be able to just stroll around as long as there are some benches for her to rest and we don't overdo it for her.   I've looked a bit into renting a car for the day, but don't want to contend with complicated logistics and I don't see many rental locations within easy walking distance of the port.

Any suggestions for setting up a nice day for my mom?   

Thanks!

1 hour ago, cmerrell said:

Hi everyone,

I am booked on the Caribbean Princess for Feb 2024, travelling with my mother who will be 85.  My mom has had both knees and one hip replaced in recent years.  She is able to walk but can't do long distances, lots of stairs or steep terrain.  Princess has no shore excursions for San Juan that are categorized as being 'easy'.  I know that Old Town is hilly in places, but we might be able to just stroll around as long as there are some benches for her to rest and we don't overdo it for her.   I've looked a bit into renting a car for the day, but don't want to contend with complicated logistics and I don't see many rental locations within easy walking distance of the port.

Any suggestions for setting up a nice day for my mom?   

Thanks!

Just an idea.

Book a car with a renter close to where one lives with a representation office/cars in San Juan.

Look to arrange for the car to be made available outside the port terminal area, then a timed collection. Possible for one to pass by the San Juan office, pickup a SJ driver, drive to the port. Then the SJ driver takes the car back.

Discuss with the rental company of choice, know they will assist if possible.

Good luck 

• 3 weeks later...

Uber is available in San Juan as well. I have not been yet, I am also going in February 2024, but it does seem that there are several stores close to the port and the Fuente Bahia Urbana seems to be a flat walking are near the cruise port. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in San Juan on Tuesday and there were plenty of taxis parked outside the port.  You might want to simply hire one for a local driving tour.  Walking is great for those who like to walk, but we walked over 3 miles just doing a short stroll through old town to El Moro and circuling back along the coast.  Too hilly and long for those with limitations.

Hank