Manaus Tender Port?

Queen of DaNile

The cruise ship dock was damaged by high flooding in 2021 and as of March 2023 was not rebuilt nor could we see any work being done.  The only cruise ship to dock at Port of Manaus was the local 150 guest river boat Iberostar Grand Amazon which we took for a 4 day cruise further up the river.  We arrived in Manaus on the Viking Sea which anchored.  A floating platform was attached to our ship and the local tour boats docked there to pick up guests for water based excursions.  Instead of using ships tenders to reach town, local boats also docked at the platform to ferry folks for land excursions and also to disembark to the airport or town at the end of the cruise.

Manus may not be open at all soon. Viking have just cancelled their next two Amazon cruises in December citing the low river levels making it too dangerous to navigate. It seems that the Azamara Quest is still planning to sail up the Amazon this week. It will be interesting to see what the next few cruises do: Holland Zaandam, Oceania Sirena and Regent Mariner. All are scheduled for December stops in Manus.

51 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Manus may not be open at all soon. Viking have just cancelled their next two Amazon cruises in December citing the low river levels making it too dangerous to navigate. It seems that the Azamara Quest is still planning to sail up the Amazon this week. It will be interesting to see what the next few cruises do: Holland Zaandam, Oceania Sirena and Regent Mariner. All are scheduled for December stops in Manus.

Thanks. Luckily we're not scheduled to go until 2024 so we have time to monitor conditions.

Where did you hear Viking cancelled?

Edited by Queen of DaNile

4 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Will be interested to hear what the river conditions are.

We are having some mechanical issues that affect our propulsion, and speed, which will result in a few hours delay in our reaching the mouth of the Amazon. Probably Tuesday evening now. There could be some further issues due to this problem, once a further inspection has been done. Time will tell. For now, we are just sailing along headed south, enjoying ourselves. 

• Like 1

We’re due to go on Regents Mariner for Xmas day in Manaus but the current amazon conditions will cease this cruise for pure safety reasons.

Have contacted and spoken with Regent UK office who indicate that they are awaiting management to make a decision as to what will transpire with the cruise and yet, I’ve heard Viking have cancelled two Xmas cruises in the Amazon but Regent are just dragging it out in making a decision.

I too am on the Mariner Xmas cruise up the Amazon. Azamara Quest is travelling up the Amazon today. She has propulsion problems that are resulting in itinerary changes. But the cruise looks like it is going all the way to Manaus. I have been watching water levels in Manaus and they have been going higher a few feet over the last 5 days. So maybe Regent is right to "wait and see" for a while. Fingers crossed.

15 hours ago, CJANDH said:

I too am on the Mariner Xmas cruise up the Amazon. Azamara Quest is travelling up the Amazon today. She has propulsion problems that are resulting in itinerary changes. But the cruise looks like it is going all the way to Manaus. I have been watching water levels in Manaus and they have been going higher a few feet over the last 5 days. So maybe Regent is right to "wait and see" for a while. Fingers crossed.

Onboard Quest now. We are due to arrive in Manaus at 1:30pm today, will overnight, and depart tomorrow at 10:00am. 

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

Onboard Quest now. We are due to arrive in Manaus at 1:30pm today, will overnight, and depart tomorrow at 10:00am. 

Enjoy. We would be interested in hearing about your docking/tendering experience in Manaus. 

On 11/24/2023 at 9:29 AM, Wehwalt said:

Enjoy. We would be interested in hearing about your docking/tendering experience in Manaus. 

We are sailing away from Manaus now. We tendered, and used local boats for the tender operation. They took us to a floating pier. Guests were then loaded onto shuttle buses at this lower pier area, and driven up a somewhat steep roadway to the bus parking lot just at the top of this lower pier area. They then boarded buses for their tours and went off, or if independent touring they boarded a shuttle bus for a very short ride to the cruise terminal. So - tender, shuttle bus up river bank, bus out of the port area. We chose to walk up the river bank road, as there weren’t many shuttle busses and lots of people. We then had to take the shuttle bus for independent touring to the cruise terminal, where we were dropped off. DH and I then took a walk to the market, up through town, past lots of street vendors, some street murals, interesting buildings, parks, churches, and so on. We strolled using a route I had mapped out for about 2.5 miles. The city is gritty and worn, with some poverty, but also with a few glimmers of interest. There is some criminal activity, so have your situational awareness on. You may see some fully naked people walking around. It was very hot with no breeze. Mostly, we just needed a good walk, so it worked. I’ll try to post photos of boats for tendering, and pier so you can see how low river levels are. 

IMG_7344.jpeg

IMG_7355.jpeg