Almost Live …. NCL Bliss through the Panama Canal (Dec 4 to 19) Miami to LA

EganFire

Getting close now!

High on our packing list?  Plastic or reusable straws!  On our last cruise all of the straws were paper, which doesn’t work too well in a Pina Colada.  Our suggestion is to bring along some plastic straws or a reusable straw to avoid the soggy paper straw.  (One gal bought a box of plastic straws in port and made a lot of new friends later that day during Happy Hour!)

Also, Ziploc bags in various sizes, which can be used for:

-          transporting damp bathing suits from the hotel or on the way home

-          snacks (that ½ a muffin or cookies or ?) so they stay fresh for later

-          keeping similar/small things together (i.e., various chargers, writing utensils)

-          placing ID in the safe so things are not accidentally left behind

A couple of variations on your list:

At night, we use battery-operated tea lights in the bathroom and on the bathroom sill (takes a while to get used to that step!). 

In addition to magnetic hooks (which I read on another post are also great for stringing a long extension cord along the ceiling if you have a c-pap), we also bring magnetic bulldog clips for excursion tickets, itineraries, notes, and, yes, that highlighted FreeStyle Daily

Safe travels!

Lita

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruiser1961 said:

Getting close now!

High on our packing list?  Plastic or reusable straws!  On our last cruise all of the straws were paper, which doesn’t work too well in a Pina Colada.  Our suggestion is to bring along some plastic straws or a reusable straw to avoid the soggy paper straw.  (One gal bought a box of plastic straws in port and made a lot of new friends later that day during Happy Hour!)

Also, Ziploc bags in various sizes, which can be used for:

-          transporting damp bathing suits from the hotel or on the way home

-          snacks (that ½ a muffin or cookies or ?) so they stay fresh for later

-          keeping similar/small things together (i.e., various chargers, writing utensils)

-          placing ID in the safe so things are not accidentally left behind

A couple of variations on your list:

At night, we use battery-operated tea lights in the bathroom and on the bathroom sill (takes a while to get used to that step!). 

In addition to magnetic hooks (which I read on another post are also great for stringing a long extension cord along the ceiling if you have a c-pap), we also bring magnetic bulldog clips for excursion tickets, itineraries, notes, and, yes, that highlighted FreeStyle Daily

Safe travels!

Lita

On our 2 NCL cruises this year, they use straws made of...straw.  Or 80% straw and some other materials that biodegrade much faster than plastic.  Much better than paper straws as long as you don't chew on them. They tend to crack if you do that. 

Edited by Panhandle Couple

Some great pointers here. We will be on the 12/4 PC cruise and can’t wait. We’re a retired couple living aboard our sailboat, coincidentally named “Bliss”. Most of the year we cruise on our own boat along the US east coast and Bahamas, but we decided to take a break from cruising and go…cruising. 😁  It would be fun to have a Cruise Critic “meetup” sometime early in the itinerary. It’s been about 10 years since I was on a cruise, but I’ve been on about a dozen over the last few decades. We both need to study up on what to do/avoid, so threads like this are very helpful. Interestingly, my first cruise was with NCL back in the mid ‘80s. 

6 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

On our 2 NCL cruises this year, they use straws made of...straw.  Or 80% straw and some other materials that biodegrade much faster than plastic.  Much better than paper straws as long as you don't chew on them. They tend to crack if you do that. 

I think they said they were made of bamboo? I could be wrong but eco friendly, with a plastic one use cup (around the pool areas) lol 😜

They felt just like plastic straws, just a light brown/beige colour, don’t go mushy like the paper straws. 

10 hours ago, SV_Bliss said:

Some great pointers here. We will be on the 12/4 PC cruise and can’t wait. We’re a retired couple living aboard our sailboat, coincidentally named “Bliss”. Most of the year we cruise on our own boat along the US east coast and Bahamas, but we decided to take a break from cruising and go…cruising. 😁  It would be fun to have a Cruise Critic “meetup” sometime early in the itinerary. It’s been about 10 years since I was on a cruise, but I’ve been on about a dozen over the last few decades. We both need to study up on what to do/avoid, so threads like this are very helpful. Interestingly, my first cruise was with NCL back in the mid ‘80s. 

See the roll call thread.  43 pages and growing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruiser1961 said:

Also, Ziploc bags in various sizes....

I do bring ziploc bags, but I never thought of the magnetic clips... that is great and will be added to my bag (if I can find room) for this cruise. Thank you. Excellent idea. 

Pre-Booked Entertainment - well ... some if it anyway

This is my first NCL cruise where I pre-booked entertainment for the cruise. I was told for the Bliss this feature opened 26 days pre-cruise for me; however, it did not open until 19 days out. I found out on the CC Roll Call that it was open, and by the time I logged in the options were limited. I do not recall this option of pre-booking entertainment being available on other cruises, I may have missed that. 

Two Broadway styles shows are currently on the Bliss. ‘Six’ and ‘Jersey Boys’. I booked a 9:30 PM show for both and I am looking forward to seeing both: 

Six’ - the six wives of Henry VIII take to the mic to tell their tales. I am sure they have some stories to share. I understand that NCL has decided to end this show on the Bliss February 24, 2024. 

Jersey Boys’ - goes behind the music of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons and follows four blue-collar kids working their way from the streets of Newark to the heights of stardom.

I think I saw part of Jersey Boys before on a previous Bliss cruise, and I know I have not seen Six - so I look forward to experiencing this before it comes to an end on NCL. 

Other entertainment will be available to choose from once I am on board. I always enjoy seeing the other acts throughout the ship. (Bands, comedians, magicians, ventriloquists, jugglers, etc..)

On the Bliss, I also really like going to listen to the piano player in the District Brewhouse. He or She usually has the place singing along to songs and will throw in some dry comedy occasionally as well. If you are looking for a quiet night cap, this is not the best place for you. 

Off topic for this cruise; however, totally worth the shout out. For anyone who plans to cruise on Encore or Escape - go see ‘Choir of Man’. Let me say it again… GO SEE ‘CHOIR OF MAN’. 

In my opinion, it is the best show at sea.  Arrive 30 minutes before the show - sit towards the front, and you are welcome, as you will for sure say “we should thank that random guy who suggested this to us” after the show.  

Cheers!

• Like 6

Car to Train – Train to Car – Car to Ship – ........ and then to the Bar and the Buffett 

Well, that’s the plan anyway… I have an Uber planned for ‘way too early in the day’, before the sun wakes up, to take me from my house to the train station - the train station happens to be in the middle of the airport. 

When cruising out of Miami, I usually drive down the day before and use a hotel with the ‘stay and park’ option. This package includes a room, parking for the length of the cruise, and a shuttle to the port. This package is great for many reasons. First, the vacation starts a day early. Second, there is no rush to get through Florida traffic when trying to get on a ship. You are still on your own to get back to the hotel after the cruise, but that Uber ride is usually cheap.  

However, for this trip I will be taking the brand new Brightline train into Miami and then using their car service to the Port. I want to try this experience as this is a one-way cruise and I do not want my car to be 4.5 hours from home when I get back. It is also a brand-new service that I want to try out.

The port is 1.8 miles from the train station in Miami. Doing some quick math, in Miami driving time it should take roughly 43-48 minutes to get to the port. Give or take a minute or two depending on the lights. Seriously, Miami traffic is ugly, but hopefully it will not be too bad. This Uber trip is also free with the type of ticket I purchased on Brightline

In case others are considering using Brightline, check back here later, I will certainly provide some insight into the use of Brightline for this trip when I am on board, as it has high speed Wi-Fi included.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/1/2023 at 9:34 AM, EganFire said:

Doing some quick math, in Miami driving time it should take roughly 43-48 minutes to get to the port.

/s right?

It's like a 10 minute drive depending on when you get in and whatever else might be going on in the port that day. I certainly hope it's not 45 minutes for you that day!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 1:16 PM, EganFire said:

Two Broadway styles shows are currently on the Bliss. ‘Six’ and ‘Jersey Boys’. I booked a 9:30 PM show for both and I am looking forward to seeing both:

SIX is fabulous. We fell in love with it two years ago on the Breakaway, and went back to see it again the next night. We’ve since seen it twice in theatres on land, including in London, which was very special. It’s a fun, high energy show, and we’ve left each time smiling and dancing. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

On 11/27/2023 at 11:44 AM, EganFire said:

I do bring ziploc bags, but I never thought of the magnetic clips... that is great and will be added to my bag (if I can find room) for this cruise. Thank you. Excellent idea. 

Reading along with great interest.

Planning on bringing assorted zips (first time for a sail) to stash snacks or take along light lunch for the few tours spanning the middle of the day. Maybe for disembarkation - airplane lunch instead of on of those airport quick mart sandwiches.

Thinking about magnetic hooks/clips.

We're on the reverse sailing from LA on 1/12. Identical to yours less the stop in Mazatlan.

Have the same Acapulco tour as you do. If...

Well, today started early, and travel is going well; however, technology has failed me. My phone SIM went corrupt and I can't access some apps and cell service. I have an Uber reservation waiting to pick me up at the train station and I hope I can talk the driver into changing the destination to the phone store, that is if I can even find my driver. That is one of the apps failing me. 

This vacation WILL be awesome, just get me to the store, then to the ship. The Vibe is calling my name loudly. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bssc said:

A $250 fine if you took it or veggies or fruits off the ship.  Forget which port.

Many ports have a fine. 

28 minutes ago, EganFire said:

Well, today started early, and travel is going well; however, technology has failed me. My phone SIM went corrupt and I can't access some apps and cell service. I have an Uber reservation waiting to pick me up at the train station and I hope I can talk the driver into changing the destination to the phone store, that is if I can even find my driver. That is one of the apps failing me. 

This vacation WILL be awesome, just get me to the store, then to the ship. The Vibe is calling my name loudly. 

Good luck! We don’t want to sail without you!

UPDATE:  thanks to Osvaldo my Uber driver and 9th grade Spanish as Osvaldo spoke as much English as I speak Spanish; I made it to the phone store and then to the port. Cash bribes not needed but awarded non the less. 

I will give a full day 1 summary later. Now off to complete my “once I get onboard list”

• Like 4