Explora 17 November - 6 December

uktog

On 11/22/2023 at 3:37 AM, travelwide said:

I am sure if someone does not like sauce, you can ask for it on the side. I will soon find out!

Exactly......it's not a problem.   On the side is as close as it gets to my plates.  I order for the underlying product and expect no sauce required.   Especially anything fishy.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 10:28 AM, edgee said:

Our recent 16 night cruise on Vista was our 8th on Oceania. Food was very very good!

14 minutes ago, English Tim said:

Thanks for your comprehensive report. We are joining in May, but have Oceania Vista to experience first.

Hi Tim

Was on EJ in October and it was great. Will be on Vista in January  hope to hear how you like Oceania Vista

After yesterday’s delayed departure due to missing fresh food containers we have arrived at Dominica (Roseau). We are in a rather ugly container port

IMG_2689.thumb.jpeg.93d354b2a74c5d6eff7844d4c504d963.jpeg

and it’s not yet evident if walk up tours exist however the ship is laying on shuttle to town. The proper berth at the cruise terminal has gone to Tui maybe because we were late. 
IMG_2690.thumb.jpeg.2c0fe125fa291a8fe218c5e387bb1b1d.jpeg
Last night we saw a container ship arrive in front of us and start to unload. We certainly saw one container brought over to our ship however we thought there was to be more We left at 1015 not midnight as rescheduled to. Did this mean we left containers behind / who knows! Time will tell 

We are going on a basic drive round trip as we’ve credit to use. Look forward to seeing what we discover 

• Like 4

Our Easy Dominica tour through the ship cost us 85 euros each and lasted just over three hours. Could we have done better privately- possibly but with obc to use and our changed arrival time it worked well. There were 16 of us in a 24 seater minibus. I’m glad we were mid bus this was certainly not a trip to be upfront unless you had a strong constitution- steep hills up and down, blind corners, hairpin bends but such interesting scenery and a reasonable guide helped. 

Our first stop was Jacko Falls. We had 30 mins there and could have gone down the rather steep stairs to the base. That was a challenge not for me, so I relied on views from the top 

IMG_2694.thumb.jpeg.0140ec1ffa6569fdbad00c4162ae16dd.jpeg

IMG_2697.thumb.jpeg.6830ec2c63b9d8f8178449c64446a797.jpeg

and loved picturing the wild and beautiful flowers. 
IMG_2699.thumb.jpeg.67ca4e3b7aa4ebe69f1d42055d8a58c0.jpeg

IMG_2702.thumb.jpeg.caf6b35351eef3331c3572768e05334c.jpeg

IMG_2704.thumb.jpeg.bcfb2f2c3432a91dd7eb36b61440487e.jpeg

IMG_2706.thumb.jpeg.947fec2e891eb0638d9ac220401aee8c.jpeg

They served a rum punch there that blew your head off. I’m surprised I saw any more of the sights!  

Then it was on to the Botanic Gardens - this is more about trees than flowers so I’m glad I took the flower pics earlier and is something to bear in mind.
IMG_2710.thumb.jpeg.af9061ffd8c555e9f6429ffd6abc80bf.jpeg

The one site they show is the memorial to Hurricane David where this brand new school bus fortunately empty was crushed in the carpark and has been kept untouched since

IMG_2724.thumb.jpeg.e7526acd2674571dacfdeeb3ac3af9f0.jpeg

Finally a stop on top of Monse Bruce for a view over the city and the ship in the distance cut short as the rain blasted in with typical tropical liquid sunshine. We heard that at the falls they get 360 inches of rain a year but only (I quote) 100 in town. 
IMG_2735.thumb.jpeg.1ac7d2c810d178bf2d82e63cbf7d544c.jpeg

No wonder Dominica is such a green and colourful island. 

All in all a fair trip and it was less stress than diy. 

• Like 5

Highly recommend the Whale and Dolphin watching trip we did this afternoon. Booking onboard was cheaper than independently and was a great fun packed two and half hours. We both dolphins and whales which was breathtaking and the final “fly past” of the Roseau shoreline was an adrenaline rush.

IMG_3819.jpeg

IMG_3822.jpeg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Corriegr said:

Highly recommend the Whale and Dolphin watching trip we did this afternoon. Booking onboard was cheaper than independently and was a great fun packed two and half hours. We both dolphins and whales which was breathtaking and the final “fly past” of the Roseau shoreline was an adrenaline rush.

IMG_3819.jpeg

IMG_3822.jpeg

Looks a great trip unfortunately DH doesn’t do adrenaline!

• Like 1

Today will be a very lazy sea day. Unfortunately the speakers repeat last week but we’ve plenty books with us

The pool roof is open and there’s plenty cabanas available all around as well as beds, loungers,sofas and individual chairs . No one can pre reserve them which is fine. 
The Helios pool will not be open as it’s got a long term design issue (it empties its contents over the whole deck as soon as there’s a wobble - a case of a land designer not understanding the brief I fear). However for now there’s so few children the adult experience prevails all around. 
We have contractors working all over the ship dealing with items - none have impacted our experience at all and it’s clear the general manager has them working through her long to do list. So they know what they have to fix and that includes entertainment and the whole “shorex” experience as some of the issues they’ve had to face with content and contracts set up shoreside has made things very difficult 😥 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Corriegr said:

We both dolphins and whales which was breathtaking and the final “fly past” of the Roseau shoreline was an adrenaline rush.

20 minutes ago, uktog said:

Today will be a very lazy sea day.  😥

I’ve just learned that the bars only open at 10 am - the humanity of it all!

You’re welcome - had I gone on the whale watching, you would have been lucky to see a minnow!  They always stay away from us….

Feel free to say hello to the guy in the Star Wars themed shirt 👕!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, uktog said:

The Helios pool will not be open as it’s got a long term design issue (it empties its contents over the whole deck as soon as there’s a wobble - a case of a land designer not understanding the brief I fear). However for now there’s so few children the adult experience prevails all around. 

The Helios Pool was my preferred sunning spot. With the pool design issues it’s very quiet up there. Besides Daryl runs the best bar on the ship IMO.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

The Helios Pool was my preferred sunning spot. With the pool design issues it’s very quiet up there. Besides Daryl runs the best bar on the ship IMO.

You can still walk right around there and the bar, loungers and cabanas are all open. Currently sat just along from there in a cabana drinking a lovely Mimosa from the Helios bar with a very generous alcohol to juice ratio. 😍

@uktog did you see the children again? I went to the solos dinner last night (drinks in the Astern lounge followed by dinner at The Med Yacht club) and the hosts were very intrigued as they are convinced that the youngest guest on the ship is 18 years old. Maybe we have stowaways?!? 😂 Although they did say that crew are sometimes allowed family and friends to stay and so they wondered if the children are a guest of someone rather than a passenger per se.  

My beach day excursion yesterday was cancelled (I think due to low numbers) and tomorrow’s is looking sketchy due to low numbers again.  This is literally the only downside i can find of having such a quiet ship.  

I must give a recommendation for the daily port talks at 5.15pm in the Astern lounge.  The luminary speaker isn’t employed by the excursions team and gives advice on the best things to do, and how to do independently as well as on any tours.  She stays afterwards for people to chat to and answer questions and I’ve found her incredibly helpful. 

I’ve been saving the daily programmes if anyone wants me to post them.  And if there’s anything anyone wants to know or me to check for them, just shout. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alethers said:

must give a recommendation for the daily port talks at 5.15pm in the Astern lounge.  The luminary speaker isn’t employed by the excursions team and gives advice on the best things to do, and how to do independently as well as on any tours.  She stays afterwards for people to chat to and answer questions and I’ve found her incredibly helpful. 

I’ve been saving the daily programmes if anyone wants me to post them.  And if there’s anything anyone wants to know or me to check for them, just shout. 

This is the first mention I’ve heard of independent port advice onboard. Is it a regular feature onboard, sounds incredibly useful

13 minutes ago, gymfreak said:

This is the first mention I’ve heard of independent port advice onboard. Is it a regular feature onboard, sounds incredibly useful

Her name is Karen and it’s every day at 5.15pm in the Astern lounge (although I think she skips one evening as we are in Curacao for two days.  Last night she was talking about Bonaire and was giving advice on taxis, hiring a car, how to see the bioluminescence if not doing the ship tour.  Although  she also has info on the ship tours too if that’s what people prefer.  

She’s written for loads of publications including National Geographic and ASTA. https://cruiseshipkaren.com/

Edited by Alethers
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I just ran into Heike, the General Manager, who was at the Helios pool.  She said that to rectify the problem they are looking to increase the plastic part that runs across the front of the pool….so at least they don’t need to rebuild it!

I tried to take a photo to show but not sure it’s obvious.  There’s a clear plastic section to the slight left of the middle of the photo.  That will need to be extended right around the pool.

IMG_0901.jpeg

2 hours ago, gymfreak said:

It’s good advice. Unbelievably Karen comes from my home town in Scotland and her parents live in the next village to my son 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alethers said:

I just ran into Heike, the General Manager, who was at the Helios pool.  She said that to rectify the problem they are looking to increase the plastic part that runs across the front of the pool….so at least they don’t need to rebuild it!

I tried to take a photo to show but not sure it’s obvious.  There’s a clear plastic section to the slight left of the middle of the photo.  That will need to be extended right around the pool.

IMG_0901.jpeg

Yes the issue is it’s a raised pool so the first rock or roll and it all spills out the front 

44 minutes ago, uktog said:

It’s good advice. Unbelievably Karen comes from my home town in Scotland and her parents live in the next village to my son 

Did Karen previously work for Celebrity?   

You'll be pleased to hear that you are missing snow in your village today as well.  

What happens when an excursion is being cancelled? Does the amount paid appear as onboard credit, which would not be ideal, or do they transfer the amount back to the credit card It was paid with? 
I would be hesitant to book expensive excursions, if the money, paid before departure , would not be credited back to a creditcard, since I would have no use for it as credit on my onboard bill. 

1 hour ago, Lotus Girl said:

Did Karen previously work for Celebrity?   

You'll be pleased to hear that you are missing snow in your village today as well.  

I know I was checking the cameras earlier and it looked fun 

46 minutes ago, mike@sea said:

What happens when an excursion is being cancelled? Does the amount paid appear as onboard credit, which would not be ideal, or do they transfer the amount back to the credit card It was paid with? 
I would be hesitant to book expensive excursions, if the money, paid before departure , would not be credited back to a creditcard, since I would have no use for it as credit on my onboard bill. 

Mine came back as onboard credit however it was refundable BUT they cannot refund credit cards. The only way they could close out last cruise so I did not lose it was to give me cash and it had to be euros. Funny we had this issue once before on MSC. For us we can use euros in the next couple of months so that’s kinda ok but I can imagine others from the US would not be happy 

• Like 1