Princess Plus when rebooking to higher fare cabin

Upper Bob

I'm trying to figure out where I stand when it comes to my current booking (Nov 2023) and the Princess Plus Package. I just spent a half hour trying to reason with a chat agent to no avail, and want to make sure I understand the facts. I originally booked a TA back in October of 2022 and then rebooked into a higher class cabin in February of 2023 (receiving a new email from Princess titled "Princess booking confirmation." I know that all bookings prior to December 16, 2022 included the old Princess Plus, but that any booking subsequent to that date would include the new Princess Plus and would be priced accordingly (with no option to select the old Plus package). The reason this came up is that I just noticed the $10 shipping charge for the medallions. Now the chat agent is telling me I do not receive the additional benefits such as casual dining, deserts, fitness, juice bar, etc. unless I pay the additional $10/day for each of us. I do not see how Princess (I used a phone agent back in February) could not have charged for the current fare at that time, which could have only included the newer Plus Package. There was no mention of pro-rating the fare since I would not receive the additional benefits, nor was there any mention of upgrading to the newer Plus.

46 minutes ago, Upper Bob said:

I'm trying to figure out where I stand when it comes to my current booking (Nov 2023) and the Princess Plus Package. I just spent a half hour trying to reason with a chat agent to no avail, and want to make sure I understand the facts. I originally booked a TA back in October of 2022 and then rebooked into a higher class cabin in February of 2023 (receiving a new email from Princess titled "Princess booking confirmation." I know that all bookings prior to December 16, 2022 included the old Princess Plus, but that any booking subsequent to that date would include the new Princess Plus and would be priced accordingly (with no option to select the old Plus package). The reason this came up is that I just noticed the $10 shipping charge for the medallions. Now the chat agent is telling me I do not receive the additional benefits such as casual dining, deserts, fitness, juice bar, etc. unless I pay the additional $10/day for each of us. I do not see how Princess (I used a phone agent back in February) could not have charged for the current fare at that time, which could have only included the newer Plus Package. There was no mention of pro-rating the fare since I would not receive the additional benefits, nor was there any mention of upgrading to the newer Plus.

Look at your travel summary (you can find this either on your personalizer on the Princess website but also now on the app) to find out what is included and what is not.  If you don’t have the premium desserts or fitness classes included, you are on the old package.  
I’ve found that the app will oftentimes charge you for the medallions even when you have the shipping included.  Instead, I love out and try back on a later date.  It’s a weird glitch but hasn’t bothered me much as it always catches up and we’ve gotten them shipped as included every time.  
if possible, come back here and let us know how it all worked out for you.  

• Like 1

@Upper Bob, from reading your posts, I get the impression you only upgraded your stateroom category and NOT the Plus package. You should be able to figure this out from the ‘costs’ you paid. Unless you are saying when you upgraded to the higher category it was also upgrading the plus 50 to the plus 60 fare, but this would be reflected in your travel summary of which package you booked.

I am assuming since you have been talking to Princess, you did not use a travel agent.

When you upgraded your cabin, I assume you know what you paid for the upgrade and were you looking at just the stateroom prices opposed to your new stateroom category with the ‘plus’ fare added which would have been at the new higher $60/day?

• Like 2

Yes, when I look at my travel summary, it only shows the three standard items. I should have followed up immediately upon receiving the new booking confirmation, but that time era back in February was not too long after the new packages were introduced and many people were posting of issues with their trip summaries reflecting inaccurate information. My point is that back in February (when the new packages were in place with new pricing) I was checking on availability and pricing on higher category cabins. I saw a cabin that was available and looked at the pricing for Premium Plus and then called Princess directly to change to that cabin. The cruise fare that I was charged at that time on the phone (and what showed on my new confirmation) was the exact same price I was seeing online when searching for a cabin using the newer Premium Plus option at $60/day. There was obviously no option to select a fare with the older Premium Plus package at $50/day. I will try and call Princess tomorrow and see if I have any better luck than I did with the chat agent. If not, I will just chalk it up to the continued problems from uninformed phone and chat representatives since Princess changed their call centers. Even with having to pay the additional funds for medallion shipping ($10), OceanNow onboard ordering ($15), and two casual dining charges ($30), It's still not worth the extra $150/ea that my wife and I would have to pay to be "current" with the Plus package for our upcoming 15 night voyage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upper Bob said:

Even with having to pay the additional funds for medallion shipping ($10), OceanNow onboard ordering ($15), and two casual dining charges ($30), It's still not worth the extra $150/ea that my wife and I would have to pay to be "current" with the Plus package for our upcoming 15 night voyage. 

I say you have Plus $60.  Did you compare the new Standard Fare to your new Plus Fare?  Did it work out to $60/pp/day?

Since you are booking directly with Princess, I'd try and seek out a good CVP there who can better stick-handle your reservation file.  A lot of the phone reps seem to be lacking in knowledge.  A decent rep should be able to look at your booking in POLAR and explain the history and what you have.

Another explanation is that your cabin was refared - a simpler process than a cancel/re-book.  That said, if you were charged based on the price showing if you were pretending to book the cruise new in Feb, then you have to have Plus-60. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I say you have Plus $60.  Did you compare the new Standard Fare to your new Plus Fare?  Did it work out to $60/pp/day?

Since you are booking directly with Princess, I'd try and seek out a good CVP there who can better stick-handle your reservation file.  A lot of the phone reps seem to be lacking in knowledge.  A decent rep should be able to look at your booking in POLAR and explain the history and what you have.

Another explanation is that your cabin was refared - a simpler process than a cancel/re-book.  That said, if you were charged based on the price showing if you were pretending to book the cruise new in Feb, then you have to have Plus-60. 

Tried two different times calling only to get representatives at the overseas call center who had absolutely no idea what I was asking. She confused onboard Medallion Net with the Medallion shipping and never quite understood what the Plus or Premier packages entailed. After being put on hold five consecutive times I had to hang up. I guess the only way to talk to a knowledgable Princess CVP these days is to already have the contact info for a specific individual. Since there is no longer a Captains Circle rep onboard the ships, my only option is to speak with GS once I board. We're just going to enjoy this cruise and not let it bother us anymore🍷🚢

14 minutes ago, Upper Bob said:

Tried two different times calling only to get representatives at the overseas call center who had absolutely no idea what I was asking. She confused onboard Medallion Net with the Medallion shipping and never quite understood what the Plus or Premier packages entailed. After being put on hold five consecutive times I had to hang up. I guess the only way to talk to a knowledgable Princess CVP these days is to already have the contact info for a specific individual. Since there is no longer a Captains Circle rep onboard the ships, my only option is to speak with GS once I board. We're just going to enjoy this cruise and not let it bother us anymore🍷🚢

Call in to get a CVP ir call in like you are making a new booking and you should get a US rep... at least it used to work.  I am pretty sure new sales goes to actual sales reps and not overseas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1