Grand Cayman Dolphin and Stingray Encounter

jeb_bud

We're cruising Los Angeles to Miami on the Grandeur in January.  We just got notified that the excursion we had booked in Grand Cayman has been canceled so we need to pick something else.  We are zeroing in on a dolphin and stingray encounter excursion.  One of our choices is all wading with both the dolphins and stingrays while the other includes actual swimming with the dolphins.  

In my youth I was a diver but age and health issues have made that harder.  I can still paddle around with a mask and snorkel but I think serious diving with fins is beyond me now.  My question is for anyone who has been on the Dolphin Swim & Stingray Sandbar excursion.  How much swimming is there and what equipment is needed?  The description mentions wearing a snorkeling mask for increased visibility.  Is that a mask and snorkel?  And how intense is the activity?

One last thing.  The Dolphin Swim and Dolphin Encounter(wading) are both five-hour excursions and both start at the same time.  It makes me wonder if the excursions take place in parallel but with different dolphin experiences.  I would be happy with low intensity snorkeling but DW doesn't snorkel. We want to go together but separating for the dolphin segment would be easy enough if we got back together for the stingrays.

Any (helpful) input appreciated.

Here are two links to YouTube videos of both the tours.   They will show you what to expect.  But as you'll see, on the Dolphin Encounter you'll be standing on a platform, and the Dolphin swim you'll be wearing life vests.  Stingray Sandbar is only waist deep, so no swimming required at either event, and no snorkels or masks. 

I would think that one group will go to the Stingray Sandbar while the other group is at the Dolphin Cove.  Otherwise I would think it'd be too crowded at the Dolphin Cove.  But don't know for sure. 

Edited by papaflamingo

I’ll just chime in to add that while you *can* use a mask and snorkel at Stingray City Sandbar where the excursions will stop, you won’t need it.  You can easily see the stingrays and interact with them without putting your head or face in the water at all.

The government’s marine rules for the area forbid the use of fins or water shoes of any kind.  You could wear water shoes on the boat, but you’d have to take them off before getting in the water.

Thanks for the replies. The videos were very helpful. As I read the excursion descriptions I was envisioning more of an open water experience. Seeing the videos relieved some uneasiness and helped us choose the dolphin swim. 

• Like 2