Favorite bread on a cruise

lenquixote66

Used to be that Royal Caribbean had excellent breads, now not so much. It's such a shame that they went cheap, even on those recipes they kept. They made an Austrian Striezel (braided sweet dough with raisins) that was available at breakfast that was sublime, but is now barely decent. They no longer serve their good sourdough rolls at dinner either. 

We had some decent pretzel rolls and french bread in Chops, but it's a shame that the only decent bread was in an extra fee venue.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/20/2023 at 7:41 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

Used to be that Royal Caribbean had excellent breads, now not so much. It's such a shame that they went cheap, even on those recipes they kept. They made an Austrian Striezel (braided sweet dough with raisins) that was available at breakfast that was sublime, but is now barely decent. They no longer serve their good sourdough rolls at dinner either. 

We had some decent pretzel rolls and french bread in Chops, but it's a shame that the only decent bread was in an extra fee venue.

I'm not even sure RC makes there own bread in the MDR any more.   It's not the same

I did get good bread in Chops and Giovanni's.

1 hour ago, Seamus6 said:

I'm not even sure RC makes their own bread in the MDR anymore.   It's not the same.

I did get good bread in Chops and Giovanni's.

On our galley tour last fall on Vision, they were most definitely making all the breads, but with limited ingredients and equipment. The divider/rounder machine had failed, so they were having to cut and shape dinner rolls by hand. We saw batches of dough fermenting in the bakery, and had a nice talk from the bread baker.

On 4/1/2024 at 5:37 PM, Seamus6 said:

I used to go on a lot of galley tours, now it seems like they always charge fore them.

We were on a free galley tour on a HAL ship in 2010.We were traveling with a couple ,the wife an Author was doing a lecture on the cruise and she and her husband were offered the tour .They brought my wife and I with them.