Seward - Timing of Kenia Fjords tour with limited time

Pones86

Hi All. I am looking for thoughts on our very short time in Seward.

We are on the 6:45am train arriving Seward 11:20am on Day 1.

Our Cruise Celebrity Summit departs the following day at 8pm.

We have booked a night at Breeze Inn (Very close to train / Cruise Ship) 3pm Check In, 11:00am Check out.

Looking to do the Kenia Fjords Boat tour either;

Option 1 - Day 1 – 6 Hours Tour 11:30am straight off the train (is this possible?) (Bag storage?)

Option 2 - Day 1 – 5 Hour Dinner Cruise at 3pm – This might be annoying to wait around for with no hotel room and not be able to check in till be get back. Saw a video blog of this and didn’t seem much more impressive than a standard tour.

Option 3 - Day 2 – 6 Hours Cruise 8am

Option 4 - Day 2 – 6 Hour Cruise at 11:30am (Will this put us under stress of getting on our Cruise Ship)

Whichever way we chose to go – the other spare time will be used to visit Harding Ice Field and potentially walk to Top of the Cliffs lookout. Also may want to go into Alaska Sea life Centre.

Happy to hear any thoughts.

Edited by Pones86
Layout

Option 3 would be my choice. Start your holiday on Day 1 with a relaxed schedule, no rushing or worrying about making connections. When you first arrive, head to the hotel and drop your bags. Then go and have a nice leisurely lunch until check-in. Once you have your room and taken your bags up, you have the rest of the day and evening to do as you want.

We’ve done Option 1 a couple of times.  The train depot in Seward is close to where you get on the Kenai Fjords cruise.  It’s a quick 10-15 minute walk,  the company will store your luggage for you (we like to use Major Marine) until you get back.  Lunch is available on the cruise—make a dinner reservation for that night.

With one full day in Seward, you can do a number of things:  there are shuttles to Exit Glacier (I think it’s about $20 pp), visit the Sea Life Center, kayak on Resurrection Bay, visit an Iditarod dog kennel.

(I would not stress about making the Kenai Fjord cruise—there will be numerous folks who will also be going.  The tour companies know and in fact work with Alaska Railroad in providing these tours.  They will wait.)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 8:34 PM, disneyochem said:

We’ve done Option 1 a couple of times.  The train depot in Seward is close to where you get on the Kenai Fjords cruise.  It’s a quick 10-15 minute walk,  the company will store your luggage for you (we like to use Major Marine) until you get back.  Lunch is available on the cruise—make a dinner reservation for that night.

With one full day in Seward, you can do a number of things:  there are shuttles to Exit Glacier (I think it’s about $20 pp), visit the Sea Life Center, kayak on Resurrection Bay, visit an Iditarod dog kennel.

(I would not stress about making the Kenai Fjord cruise—there will be numerous folks who will also be going.  The tour companies know and in fact work with Alaska Railroad in providing these tours.  They will wait.)

We are doing Option 1 and staying at Harbor 360 Hotel.  We did the tour and hotel package where they give you a discount on the tour.  We will get off the train and go directly to Harbor 360 Hotel to get on the tour.  We were told that we didn't have to worry about our luggage as long as we tag our luggage with the Harbor 360 Hotel tags before we get on the train.  They will bring our luggage to the hotel.

I'd like to make dinner reservations when we are done.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!