Transportation from LHR to Port of Southampton

Lindagop

We have just paid our return (both directions) transfers from LHR  to Southampton for 2 using National Express Coaches. Great price at 92 pound. The wealth of information we received in response to our question  is amazing . Thank you once again

• Like 4

On 11/23/2023 at 11:21 AM, safarigal said:

There is a Cunard coach from Heathrow to the ship.

We use TMR Chauffeurs (https://www.tmrchauffeurs.co.uk). They may not be the cheapest, but they have always been very reliable for us, and we use them for day trips if we are staying on the ship in Southampton on back to back cruises.

This is a great tip, now that Smith's for Airports is no longer in business.  I will try to remember...

• Like 1

Question from America…Are Ubers popular in the UK?  I just priced out an Uber from LHR to the Mayflower Terminal and it’s between 105-130£. As mentioned, I used Ubers during the past summer and found them excellent and worth the up-charge over public transport, especially for two people. 
Has anyone just taken an Uber from LHR or Central London to the docks in S’hampton?

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tv24 said:

This is a great tip, now that Smith's for Airports is no longer in business.  I will try to remember...

We had always used Smiths - loved them, we were sad to see them go. However, we have always found TMR to be good 🙂

• Like 1

Uber?  They exist in London but you can't be sure any London driver will want to accept a trip that will have them away from their local area for three to four hours.

When you priced the trip, that's just the Uber algorithm giving you an estimated cost, it is not guaranteeing that any driver would accept that trip.

If you want certainty, book one of the car services that get recomended.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:

Uber?  They exist in London but you can't be sure any London driver will want to accept a trip that will have them away from their local area for three to four hours.

When you priced the trip, that's just the Uber algorithm giving you an estimated cost, it is not guaranteeing that any driver would accept that trip.

If you want certainty, book one of the car services that get recomended.

I thought of the same issue and did ask the driver if he took a risk going from Westminster to Bath and he said he’ll probably get a fare from Bath to LHR. He didn’t seem too concerned about getting another round of business.
He was a charming driver from Africa and he gave me tips on how to drive in the UK and brought our suitcases right up the stairs to the B&B. He was well tipped. 
Point is, with all the angst of train travel, Uber/Car service is a very viable alternative to get to Southhampton. 

41 minutes ago, NE John said:

I thought of the same issue and did ask the driver if he took a risk going from Westminster to Bath and he said he’ll probably get a fare from Bath to LHR. He didn’t seem too concerned about getting another round of business.
He was a charming driver from Africa and he gave me tips on how to drive in the UK and brought our suitcases right up the stairs to the B&B. He was well tipped. 
Point is, with all the angst of train travel, Uber/Car service is a very viable alternative to get to Southhampton. 

Until there is a major holdup on the M3, which is not in the least unknown. As the strike days are signalled well in advance, I’d say the trains are more predictable.

Most of the local pre booked taxi services in the Southampton area charge about the same as Uber. We used Aero Taxis Southampton last time and paid £120 each way between Heathrow T5 and Southampton. West Quay Cars seem to be one of the bigger companies.

We used a local firm as we booked 3 trips; LHR to hotel in Southampton, hotel to Mayflower Terminal and Mayflower to Heathrow. Many of the limo companies wouldn't do the local trip.

Aero Taxis seemed to have better reviews on Google than most others. Assuming the reviews are genuine of course!  We were happy with the service and would use them again.

• Like 3