Hotel and parking at LA World cruise center

splinkaone

Hi, I can’t figure out how to search the boards. So, we’re cruising out of LA in February and are looking for a reasonable priced hotel near the port. We’re driving so we also need parking for the duration of the cruise. I know there’s parking at the port ($20 day), but wondering if there’s a better park, stay, and cruise deal. All suggestions/tips appreciated.

44 minutes ago, splinkaone said:

Hi, I can’t figure out how to search the boards. So, we’re cruising out of LA in February and are looking for a reasonable priced hotel near the port. We’re driving so we also need parking for the duration of the cruise. I know there’s parking at the port ($20 day), but wondering if there’s a better park, stay, and cruise deal. All suggestions/tips appreciated.

Hello @splinkaone and welcome back to Cruise Critic! I see it has been a while since you have posted.

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns cruising out of LA and is off topic there.

To help you out your new thread has been moved to the West Coast Departures forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed from there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and the message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are glad to see you posting again! Please feel free to browse the message board categories list for all our various forums. Click here Cruise Critic Community. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

There are only two hotels I recommend in San Pedro--the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree.  Both offer "Park and Cruise" rates--but that rate depends a lot n how early you book.  We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza on a "Park and Cruise" for as low as $149 for a one night stay with free parking for the duration of our cruise--like paying for parking and getting a free room for the night.  Of course, for that, we booked it very early.  It all works on supply and demand, so, as time moves closer to the cruise, those rates go up.

The Crowne Plaza is VERY convenient--about three blocks to the pier (though they also have a shuttle) and very close to a lot of good restaurant choices.  The parking is under the hotel.  The Doubletree is a bit more picturesque, in a quiet neighborhood by the small craft marina, a couple miles from the pier--but they will shuttle you to area restaurants and also to the pier.  The parking is in an open lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, splinkaone said:

We're driving over from Phoenix,  are there any hotels farther away from the port you recommend?  We can always park at the Cruise Center. 

It's a BIG city.  Lots of hotels I recommend...but, it all depends on several assorted criteria--How long you are wanting to stay, what you are looking to do during your time here, your budget and expectations, etc.

If your intent is to merely get in the day prior to your cruise and stay one night with no plans on sightseeing, then I strongly urge staying that one night in San Pedro at one of those hotels.  Prices there are usually fairly reasonable compared to many other decent options...and you cannot improve on the convenience. 

If you have a small bit of extra time and wish to visit the Queen Mary and/or the Aquarium of the Pacific, then Long Beach--about 6-8 miles away is a good option.  In Long Beach, look at the Hyatt Centric at the Pike, the Hyatt Regency, the Renaissance and the Westin...possibly the Maya Doubletreem the Residence Inn Downtown or the Hilton.   

If you plan on several days in So Cal, my first choice would be Santa Monica--Loews, Le Merigot, Fairmont Miramar, Shutters on the Beach, Shangri-La, Georgian, Huntley, Casa del Mar...Best tourist area, most walkable, lots of restaurants and attractions, close to many So Cal attractions, hub for most tours.

There are a few other areas that work well depending on how you plan on spending your time--Marina del Rey, West Hollywood, Universal City, Redondo/Manhattan...

But, if budget is your concern, most of those areas will be even pricier than San Pedro.

Be VERY WARY of hotels or areas with apparent bargain hotels.  They are low cost for some very good reasons--usually BAD or inconvenient areas of town, run-down or poorly managed properties, sketchy clientele,  dangerous, etc.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, splinkaone said:

We're driving over from Phoenix,  are there any hotels farther away from the port you recommend?  We can always park at the Cruise Center. 

Nope.

Pick the Crowne Plaza or DoubleTree. In LA if a hotel is cheap that is a red flag.

• Like 3

We did the Doubletree Park & Stay and it's a real toss up as to saving money and/or parking at the cruise terminal.  We got to the hotel mid-afternoon prior to cruise day and the hotel shuttle was already sold out (it's first come first serve).  I had to scramble to get an UberXL to the port.  I did an UberXL RSVP for when we came back and I'm glad I did as there were people standing at the curb looking for their Uber they called 30 minutes ago.  If I did it again I would just park at the cruise port.  The lot is a short walk from the terminal and in a few minutes you are on the road home.  Otherwise you have to wait for your shuttle/Uber back to the hotel.  BTW: when you debark get a porter they will get you out of the terminal quicker than doing it on your own.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

23 hours ago, splinkaone said:

Thanks, we decided to book Best Western about 5 miles from the port and just pay to park at the port. Figured it would be easier when we get off the ship. 

It will be.  You will be in the car and on the road within 15 minutes of exiting the terminal.  Again, even faster if you snag a porter when you get to the terminal main floor.  We probably saved 30 minutes by using a porter.