Itinerary changes that worked out better

DT1304

7 hours ago, Ondine said:

I guess that if you have flown from Tassie to Sydney to board the ship and you find yourself back in Tassie it is a bummer.

Reminds me of that other trip some years ago that was meant to go to the Islands and ended up in Tassie.  Problems of people dressing for a hot holiday and ending up in a cold place without jumpers.  Think that was a P&O cruise and a cyclone got in the way.

Yes I REMEMBER THAT CRUISE .  When we visit Tassie bi annually we freeze in mid summer.  Our winter clothes aren't warm enough so I end up buying heavier winter sweatshirts at the Markets with Tasmania on them.  When I travel overseas in winter I wear them and people ask me about Tasmania.  It takes me awhile to realise they have seen Tassie on my jumper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It was one of the options, there were others. The morning of was bad form, but a few days prior would be fine for most people.

Squeaky wheels always get more grease.

The article I read interviewed one of the affected couples and they only found out after they tried to hand over their luggage at the dock and were told they weren't on the manifest. And that was at 2pm!

He ended up being the squeaky wheel who was finally offered a refund, a free cruise and a premium beverage package, which I think is appropriate. They didn't even arrange a hotel for the poor suckers, just offered to call them a taxi!

I wonder how RCI picked the unlucky cruise losers? Yes, guaranteed cabins apparently but maybe they had local addresses? Maybe last minute bookings? Maybe just happened to be in a batch of cabins that went unserviceable or were otherwise required? I'd love to know 🤔.

26 minutes ago, mum and son said:

The article I read interviewed one of the affected couples and they only found out after they tried to hand over their luggage at the dock and were told they weren't on the manifest. And that was at 2pm!

He ended up being the squeaky wheel who was finally offered a refund, a free cruise and a premium beverage package, which I think is appropriate. They didn't even arrange a hotel for the poor suckers, just offered to call them a taxi!

I wonder how RCI picked the unlucky cruise losers? Yes, guaranteed cabins apparently but maybe they had local addresses? Maybe last minute bookings? Maybe just happened to be in a batch of cabins that went unserviceable or were otherwise required? I'd love to know 🤔.

I have never heard of such a thing happening on the wharf. We got our guarantee cabin number on the wharf. I was such an innocent.  Agree local bookings might have been the selection method otherwise they'd have to pay accomodation and flights as well as refund the cruse fare.

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I have never heard of such a thing happening on the wharf. We got our guarantee cabin number on the wharf. I was such an innocent.  Agree local bookings might have been the selection method otherwise they'd have to pay accomodation and flights as well as refund the cruse fare.

I'd never heard of it much before either, other than the odd one off, and that was usually at least a few days or a week prior to the departure. There are rumours about requiring the cabins for isolating staff or something but not sure if there's any truth to that. There were apparently 13 couples told they didn't have a cabin, all standing at the port. In this day and age, with all of us carrying mobile phones, why weren't people notified earlier? It all seems very strange.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mum and son said:

I'd never heard of it much before either, other than the odd one off, and that was usually at least a few days or a week prior to the departure. There are rumours about requiring the cabins for isolating staff or something but not sure if there's any truth to that. There were apparently 13 couples told they didn't have a cabin, all standing at the port. In this day and age, with all of us carrying mobile phones, why weren't people notified earlier? It all seems very strange.

I can see a class action pending.  What is the name of that infamous coy? I hope the Federal Govt is on to it.  

I've crossed Inside Cabins off my list since Covid.  Do I now have to cross off "guarantee".  I got offered an upgrade to a number of higher decks yesterday.  I said "No thanks, I like lower decks in rough seas (Tasman across the ditch).  Did I see the poor passengers changed itinerary from NZ to Tassie had rough seas to add to their misery.  I was thinking how would I feel?  MAD as I visit Tassie bi-annually.  It has been long awhile since I did a NZ Cruise.  Although I've done car trips. 

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I can see a class action pending.  What is the name of that infamous coy? I hope the Federal Govt is on to it.  

I've crossed Inside Cabins off my list since Covid.  Do I now have to cross off "guarantee".  I got offered an upgrade to a number of higher decks yesterday.  I said "No thanks, I like lower decks in rough seas (Tasman across the ditch).  Did I see the poor passengers changed itinerary from NZ to Tassie had rough seas to add to their misery.  I was thinking how would I feel?  MAD as I visit Tassie bi-annually.  It has been long awhile since I did a NZ Cruise.  Although I've done car trips. 

I doubt there is enough people for a class action, and why would the Federal Government get involved, unless you mean the Ombudsman.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:12 AM, DT1304 said:

Hi all,

Just a fun topic to chat about. After my post in the other thread about Ovation I got thinking about what experiences people have had with itinerary changes that worked out even better for them.

My experience was on my first ever cruise to South Pacific out of Sydney over New Years. When we got to the ship we were told there was a cyclone and we could not sail. We were given the option of a full refund and go home, or a 25% refund in OBC and can board the ship to enjoy the facilities and we will sail when we can.

I took option 2 as am not from Sydney so couldn't just go home, and had a great time on the ship. We stayed in the middle of Sydney Harbour for the New Years Eve fireworks, and then set sail at 2am on January 1st.

And to top it all off, we were forced to miss one of the ports and change it to Champagne Bay. What an amazing beach!!!!

This was on Radiance of the Seas and was the start of my cruising addiction.

Did any of you have any forced itinerary changes that turened out better for you?

Yes remember that one. Me and my family were on that cruise. Unforgettable NYE (No crowds, no having to jostle to get public transport home etc etc) which will never happen again. We had news helicopters flying around us all afternoon and of course lots of complaints from harbour residents that this big ship blocked their view of the festivities. 

We had a wonderful day in Champagne Bay as well, a port that is no longer welcoming cruise ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Why is Champagne Bay not welcoming cruise ships now?

I believe the Vanuatu govt. has banned large cruise ships from there for the time being. Reasoning is the damage to marine environment. Plus I think some of the weather they have had over the last few years has led to damage of the pier the ships used for tendering. 

1 hour ago, tangogulf said:

I believe the Vanuatu govt. has banned large cruise ships from there for the time being. Reasoning is the damage to marine environment. Plus I think some of the weather they have had over the last few years has led to damage of the pier the ships used for tendering. 

Thanks, that's sad but understandable, it is a very beautiful, had a very long walk along the coast, it has some amazing flowers, crystal clear waters, one of the few places in our travels I have actually gone swimming.

It was a port that was swapped out due to Mystery Island being missed because of unsuitable seas.

Don't know what Mystery Island is like, but found Champagne an excellent alternative.

33 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Thanks, that's sad but understandable, it is a very beautiful, had a very long walk along the coast, it has some amazing flowers, crystal clear waters, one of the few places in our travels I have actually gone swimming.

It was a port that was swapped out due to Mystery Island being missed because of unsuitable seas.

Don't know what Mystery Island is like, but found Champagne an excellent alternative.

Mystery Island is a great stop, but nothing beats Champagne Bay imo.

• Like 2