What size are the wine pours?

Hobar

Two observations:

On Oosterdam, last October, we were seated in Anytime Dining at a table with servers we hadn’t had before.  I had a good quality bottle of wine on the table which had been brought over from our PG dining earlier that day.  The server had poured it into a dishwasher-safe white wine glass and then disappeared.  The Dining Room Manager happened to be walking by, stopped, turned back and came up the steps to the raised dining area we were seated in.  He reappeared with a proper red wine glass, made the switch, and said not to let them do that again.  I didn’t take note of the glassware brand but it appeared to be closely on par with Riedel, which I use at home.

On the Nieuw Statendam, in June, it was the last night in Club Orange and I still had the free specialty mariner drink ticket.  I asked our server if I could trade it in for a glass of wine and he said yes.  The wine was brought in a single serving (measured) wine carafe and then poured into the glass.

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Good point,  We have always thought that HAL was being ridiculous when including non-alcholic beverages as part of the limit.  DW and I never had an issue as we are fine drinking ice tea and tap water for most non-alcohol drinks.  Interesting that Princess only includes alcohol in their daily 15 drink limit.  To be honest, after our last 6b week HAL cruise, DW and I decided not to book anymore HAL voyages until they get their act together on many issues (the drink package was the least of our problems).  But including things like canned water in their drink package limit is symbolic of the cut-back mentality that seems to guide HAL thinking.

Hank

I originally panicked concerning the standard drink package in the HIA group.  15 drinks of all types just sounded stupid to me, as I was used to other lines' limits.  Fortunately, I never came close to 15 drinks a day. I am not sure if I just wasn't as thirsty as I usually am or if I was subconsciously trying to NOT get close to the 15 limit.  Also, I was always served a full can of soda, my drink of choice.  NCL and Princess do not do this.  It wasn't until later that we were told we were being silly and we should just pick up the unused portion at night from any bar or the Neptune Lounge and keep it on our cabin fridge for later use.  

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.  Have not yet read all the responses, but I I am sure I will enjoy doing so, especially the ones that are tongue-in-cheek.  Suffice to say, I am very much looking forward to a fun and fabulous girls’ trip with my mom and sister in March 2024.  And I am sure I will find and enjoy whatever is available in whatever stemware (maybe even plastic 🙂 ) in which the drinks are served.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iluvzbeach said:

I’m surprised to read that HAL doesn’t use Riedel glasses for wine & champagne/prosecco. We were on Princess in September and every glass we received was Riedel. 

I'm a bit confused here.  I don't know which Princess ship you were on but we have been on four different Princess ships since the end of the pandemic and we have not seen ONE Riedel glass.  I am a certified sommelier and I do know a Riedel glass when I see one 😉  We have not seen a Riedel glass in any dining room, nor at Vines, nor at the Chef's Table nor at the Winemaker's dinners.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

I'm a bit confused here.  I don't know which Princess ship you were on but we have been on four different Princess ships since the end of the pandemic and we have not seen ONE Riedel glass.  I am a certified sommelier and I do know a Riedel glass when I see one 😉  We have not seen a Riedel glass in any dining room, nor at Vines, nor at the Chef's Table nor at the Winemaker's dinners.

In 2016 or so we did a Riedel wine tasting on a Princess cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago. I recall tasting each wine in a standard glass and a Riedel glass. Big difference. I don’t recall if they used Riedel glasses beyond this. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bruinboy said:

In 2016 or so we did a Riedel wine tasting on a Princess cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago. I recall tasting each wine in a standard glass and a Riedel glass. Big difference. I don’t recall if they used Riedel glasses beyond this. 

You are right.  I do recall seeing some on board pre-pandemic.  Since the restart, I have not seen any.  They do have some better quality glasses at Vines and the Crown Grill and some special dinners but the main dining rooms have all gone to a much lower quality of very thick and small wine glass.  We actually get two crystal glasses at Vines on the first day and have them kept in the dining room for us and return them to Vines on the last day.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:09 PM, Hobar said:

Which brings me to my next question.  Does HAL have Riedel glasses on board, and if so, are they only for the premium wines, AND which Riedel collection?  What glassware is used for non-premium wine?  (I actually think Zwiesel is perfectly fine for daily wine on a cruise so I would be happy with that.)

Hmmm I cant say for certain if they were Riedel….. on the Noordam in the Pinnacle, as I was leaving with my unfinished glass of wine, the hostess stopped me and swapped out the Pinnacle glass for a regular glass.

36 minutes ago, RD64 said:

as I was leaving with my unfinished glass of wine, the hostess stopped me and swapped out the Pinnacle glass for a regular glass.

Ditto in the MDR....On our Oosterdam March 2023 cruise, the waiter would switch out my wine glass as he topped off my "regular" wine "to go" glass....I guess there is a difference in the wine glasses but I swear the wine tastes great no matter the glassware I am using. 

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1