TRANSPORT IN BARCELONA (taxi, metro, bus, etc... to the city, port and airport). All information and questions!!

alserrod

===========================
          TAXI in BARCELONA
===========================

Price of a tour according to official rates

** From the port OR from the airport to any point in the city
>> 4.6 euro + 1.21 euro/km (working days until 8:00 p.m.)
>> 4.6 euro + 1.45 euro/km (weekend and from 8:00 p.m.)

(it is enough that you calculate on Google maps the distance to travel by taxi and know the approximate cost)

>> Taxi Port >> Airport 39 euro with all supplements included

More information in
https://taxi.amb.cat/es/usuari/tarifes

- Barcelona hotels do not have a transfer to the airport. However, at the airport you will have no difficulty finding a taxi and at hotels you can order one from the reception desk.
- In Spain it is not common to tip the taxi driver. If you do it, always in euros!
- All taxis accept Visa and Mastercard cards (by regulation they must accept cards and they are the most common). However, you can ask before boarding. American Express and Diners are rarely accepted.
- If there are several route alternatives, you can choose between the fastest or the cheapest or the one you prefer.

=========================
SHUTTLE TO THE DOCK
=========================

There is a bus line that runs from near Plaza Colon to all cruise terminals. The initial stop is in front of the WTC-Barcelona. From there, both La Rambla and the metro (Drassanes) are very close

This line is not included in other transport passes and is paid separately.

Price: 3 euro/passenger
Round trip: 4.5 euro/passenger

You can buy online but it is not necessary. You can pay when you get on the bus.

It does not have fixed hours. It is a shuttle that goes from Plaza Colón to the passenger terminals and returns from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. without fixed schedules.

=====================
Barcelona METRO
=====================

Barcelona has an extensive metro network with several lines and stations for transfers. Any traveler who has used the subway in other large cities should have no problem getting on and using it.

Some relevant stops:
- Drassanes, next to the port
- Liceu, on the Rambla
- Jaume I, near the Born neighborhood and the Cathedral
- Barceloneta, near Santa María del Mar and the port
- Pl. Catalunya,
- Ps Gracia, next to Gaudí's Art Nouveau
- Diagonal, next to Gaudí's Art Nouveau
- Lesseps, near Park Güell
- Poble Sec & Pl Espanya, to go to Montjuich
- Av Tibidabo to get on the old tram and cable car
- Sants estacio, for the railway station

and of course
- Sacred Family

Prices:
- single ticket: 2.40 euro
- 10 ticket voucher: 11.35 euro
- metro to the airport: 5.15 euro
They can be purchased at automatic machines by paying with a card and selecting the language you want.

- There are different transport zones in the Barcelona area. For all destinations (except the airport), always select "Zone 1"
- The single ticket includes transfers between the different metro lines to reach the destination
- The 10-ticket voucher also includes a free bus transfer

==========================
HOW TO GO TO THE AIRPORT
==========================

>> Taxi.

- From the Port, 39 euros with all supplements included
- From the city center, approx. 30 euro on a weekday, 35 on a weekend

- From the airport, there are taxi ranks. You will have to wait in line to catch one. Don't worry if the line is very long because it moves very quickly.

- Travel time: Plaza Catalunya >> Airport, 30 minutes

>> Metro
There are two different stations for T1 and T2

- 5.15 euro from any metro station in Barcelona to the airport

- Travel time: Plaza Catalunya >> Airport, 45 minutes

>> Rodalies (Commuter train)
Only from Airport Terminal 2. The stop is next to the metro, impossible to miss.

Commuter train to the center of Barcelona. It stops at Sants Estacio, Pl Catalunya, Ps Gracia and other very central places.

There is a train every 30 minutes. It takes 20 minutes from the airport to Sants station and 24 to Ps de Gracia.

TAKES LESS THAN A TAXI

Price:
Single ticket: 2.40 euro/passenger
10 trip voucher: 10.25 euro/passenger

If you are in Terminal 2 (or you have to go to Terminal 2) and you want to go downtown, it leaves from the same place as the subway, it is much faster and cheaper. To keep in mind, it happens every 30 minutes

THE PAYOUT IS IN ENGLISH AND THE TRAIN IS PREPARED FOR A LOT OF LUGGAGE.

>> Aerobus

It is an official service of the Barcelona transport system.

They are buses that leave from Pl Catalunya, have some intermediate stops and arrive directly at the airport.

It works every day approximately every 5 minutes. (10 in the morning and night)

Price: 8.5 euro/passenger

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mar1987 said:

You can also use a private transportation company similar to Uber called "Cabify" (cabify.com), unloading their App. They are available in the main spanish towns.

You can use either Uber and Cabify

but I strongly bet everyone will ask for a taxi in the airport. 

Reason?

There's a "taxi stand" in the airport (several stands indeed). With so many traffic and people, it is quite easy to find a stand and hard to focus somewhere to book a Cabify/Uber

Conversely, through the airport, if anyone wants, he can ask for Cabify/Uber

Just remember prices.... no more than 32 euro from city centre and 39 euro from the pier (if it is more expensive, please, ask for taxi)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Great info on here. We are taking our first cruise out of Barcelona next year, and read that the cruise ships will now have to dock at  Moll d’Adossat pier. Does this info still apply or is it that much farther out?

Hi

it still applies

"Moll adossat" are two words in Catalan that in English should be translated as "semi-detached dock".

Have a look to Barcelona port and you will find that cruise area isn't besides mainland, but isn't the breakwater area too, hence the name.

Nevertheless, fares are so clear in this case

This is official English page about Barcelona transports

Fare number 4, airport to "Moll addosat"

https://taxi.amb.cat/en/usuari/tarifes

8 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Do you have a suggestion for someone traveling solo who cannot stand in a taxi line?  I do have wheelchair assistance from the plane, to luggage, and to the curb.  I can't imagine a wheelchair pusher would push me through a taxi line.  I've used reserved services in other European locations but haven't found anything for Barcelona that comes highly recommended, or even sort of recommended.  Thanks.

Hello

For assistance in Barcelona airport you may have a look to this page  (AENA webpage English version)

https://www.aena.es/en/josep-tarradellas-barcelona-el-prat/airport-services/barrier-free-assistance-service.html

AENA (public airport network in Spain) will provide assistance to you up to a the meeting point you request within the airport (Taxi stand in INSIDE airport area)

Ask them to call a specific taxi for disabled. There are some taxis for disabled people. Wheelchairs (or trolleys or whatever) must entry using taxi back door. They are locked inside and they have a specific safety belt too.

Here you are a picture about those taxis (there are just someones, not all, but they can call for one in the airport).

Taxi fare for disabled is the same than regular taxis.

Hope this helps

taxiadaptadobarcelona.jpg

On 12/16/2023 at 5:37 PM, alserrod said:

Hi

it still applies

"Moll adossat" are two words in Catalan that in English should be translated as "semi-detached dock".

Have a look to Barcelona port and you will find that cruise area isn't besides mainland, but isn't the breakwater area too, hence the name.

Nevertheless, fares are so clear in this case

This is official English page about Barcelona transports

Fare number 4, airport to "Moll addosat"

https://taxi.amb.cat/en/usuari/tarifes

Very helpful info! We (husband and me) have an early flight out of BCN when we arrive back in port on 21/12 - yes, this Thursday.

No checked luggage, just a carry-on backpack each (we are minimalists when it comes to packing!) and we have little choice for getting back to Canada (flight is only every 2nd day), so 9:25 am it is. We were given 645am for walking off unassisted, and am wondering if taxis will be available at the port this early, or if we will have to call for one.

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, starmoras said:

Very helpful info! We (husband and me) have an early flight out of BCN when we arrive back in port on 21/12 - yes, this Thursday.

No checked luggage, just a carry-on backpack each (we are minimalists when it comes to packing!) and we have little choice for getting back to Canada (flight is only every 2nd day), so 9:25 am it is. We were given 645am for walking off unassisted, and am wondering if taxis will be available at the port this early, or if we will have to call for one.

Thanks so much!

Hi

If I had to make a bet I would say there will not be waiting taxis.

Reason is clear, a taxi driver is a self employee. So much they drive, so much they earn. They will wait at a taxi stand in case they are sure they will have a customer quite soon.

So, surely, you will have waiting taxis in the stand in peak hours but not so sure at 6:45

But.... do not worry. Here you are some taxi union phones where you can call.

Never mind which one. They are just taxi unions, the service is the same and the fare is the same.

For Spain, always +34

+34 933 033 033

https://radiotaxi033.com/

+34 935 160 027

https://www.taxi24bcn.com/

Hope it helps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alserrod said:

Hi

If I had to make a bet I would say there will not be waiting taxis.

Reason is clear, a taxi driver is a self employee. So much they drive, so much they earn. They will wait at a taxi stand in case they are sure they will have a customer quite soon.

So, surely, you will have waiting taxis in the stand in peak hours but not so sure at 6:45

But.... do not worry. Here you are some taxi union phones where you can call.

Never mind which one. They are just taxi unions, the service is the same and the fare is the same.

For Spain, always +34

+34 933 033 033

https://radiotaxi033.com/

+34 935 160 027

https://www.taxi24bcn.com/

Hope it helps

thank you very much - I have noted both of the numbers and websites. My husband and I speak Spanish so I don't mind calling if there are no taxis...just trying not to stress, but we have no liquids in our carry ons, and our backpacks weigh less than 10kg each and will check in online tomorrow for Thursday. 

I appreciate the help!

21 minutes ago, starmoras said:

thank you very much - I have noted both of the numbers and websites. My husband and I speak Spanish so I don't mind calling if there are no taxis...just trying not to stress, but we have no liquids in our carry ons, and our backpacks weigh less than 10kg each and will check in online tomorrow for Thursday. 

I appreciate the help!

I hope you a peaceful return to home and.... next time book some days to visit Barcelona (and other cities in the nearbies).

Do not stress. 20-25 minutes from the pier to the airport. It is an outbound journey, thus no jams at that hour

39 euro with all supplements included in the taxi. They must accept credit card (usually only Masters Card and Visa. Barely Diners Club or AE)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alserrod said:

I hope you a peaceful return to home and.... next time book some days to visit Barcelona (and other cities in the nearbies).

Do not stress. 20-25 minutes from the pier to the airport. It is an outbound journey, thus no jams at that hour

39 euro with all supplements included in the taxi. They must accept credit card (usually only Masters Card and Visa. Barely Diners Club or AE)

Thank you - yes, last time I was in Barcelona, we rented a 3 bedroom apartment with amazing views of the Sagrada Familia for just over a week, it was wonderful and our children loved it too. This time, only a few days before the cruise, ending so close to Christmas has made the return home a bit more stressful, but we are all packed up and ready to go in the early morning. We have been to Sitges, Tarragona, and Girona in terms of a few of the cities closer to Barcelona, but can never get enough of Spain (this was my 12th trip to Spain)!

Thank you for your advice, it has been very helpful indeed!

• Like 1

I wanted to post an update in case it helps anyone. I am sitting at the gate in BCN waiting for my 925am flight to board.

We disembarked at 629 am (were given a time of 645, but boat was ready for those of us walking off with our bags)

There were lots of taxis (there was a last minute change to berth C at Moll Adossat) at 630am waiting.

I prebooked a taxi, just in case with Area Taxi (when I called the other taxis by "radio", they quoted an additional 6 euro charge for pre-booking). Area Taxi allowed me to book online at 3am, and they confirmed a taxi (and did not ask for credit card in advance, we paid at the end of the trip to the airport) within about 30min via email. I booked it for 640 am, the driver was there at 632 which was perfect.

It was 39 plus the same 6 euro fee for reserving it, but worth it for piece of mind, and we ended up having a very spacious minivan ride (6 seats facing each other for just 2 of us with carry on luggage. 

Great service, he knew exactly where the Air Canada area was (only one flight 3 times a week). And we were in the airport by 7am. we would use this service again - AreaTaxi Transfers

Security - we had fast pass as we travel a lot and have priority so that took 2 minutes but the regular lines did not look too bad.

Passport control - there was no line up, this took under 5 minutes using our non-EU passports (we usually use our EU ones, but one of our passports expired this fall, so we are travelling on our Canadian ones) --- this was what I was MOST concerned about as December 21 is a busy day for Christmas travel. So this was very simple.

We were through on the secure side by 706am

So just over 30 minutes total! We had to wait to get the gate number, lol, as they posted 2hrs to departure.

Just wanted to share so that others that have no choice but an early departure know it is doable, and alserrod was correct about the traffic - in the early morning it was about 20 minutes from terminal c at the cruise pier to terminal 1 at the airport.

Happy holidays! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi @starmoras

I hope you have had a peaceful flight returning home.

I'm glad about you could move to the airport without stress

I miss looking that booking a taxi has a fee (and according to regular fares it should be 7 instead of 6... they are posted in the link about taxis in the first post in this thread).

Just.... promise next time you visit Barcelona you will stay for several days and you will do a day visit to Zaragoza (just 1h30m by high-speed train)

My question pertains to Barcelona as a PORT STOP.  We port off the Oasis on a Sunday at 6am because a large portion of the passengers will be ending their cruise and disembarking. Those of us who boarded in Rome are merely heading out for just the day to enjoy Barcelona.

Conversely, a score of new passengers will be starting their cruise later that morning😳 So loads of passengers and  their luggage coming and going much of  the morning.

What would be the best choice for passengers getting off the ship at about 9:00 to head out for their day in Barcelona. I’m guessing grabbing a taxi might be very difficult. Would the blue bus be a better option at least to get us to the WTC/Colombus Statue? We have been to Barcelona several  times…….another option was to book a BarcelonaDay Tours half day to Montserrat?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year.

1 minute ago, martyap said:

My question pertains to Barcelona as a PORT STOP.  We port off the Oasis on a Sunday at 6am because a large portion of the passengers will be ending their cruise and disembarking. Those of us who boarded in Rome are merely heading out for just the day to enjoy Barcelona.

Conversely, a score of new passengers will be starting their cruise later that morning😳 So loads of passengers and  their luggage coming and going much of  the morning.

What would be the best choice for passengers getting off the ship at about 9:00 to head out for their day in Barcelona. I’m guessing grabbing a taxi might be very difficult. Would the blue bus be a better option at least to get us to the WTC/Colombus Statue? We have been to Barcelona several  times…….another option was to book a BarcelonaDay Tours half day to Montserrat?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year.

First of all, there will be no problem asking a taxi but, if you need it, you can book a taxi or even call one taxi by phone. It will cost 7 euro plus but you have assured a taxi.

But no passenger has reported to have a problem for a taxi in Barcelona pier.

Secondly, do you mean ideas for a day-tour in Barcelona (after you have already been there)?

May I suggest a day trip to another city?

2 minutes ago, alserrod said:

First of all, there will be no problem asking a taxi but, if you need it, you can book a taxi or even call one taxi by phone. It will cost 7 euro plus but you have assured a taxi.

But no passenger has reported to have a problem for a taxi in Barcelona pier.

Secondly, do you mean ideas for a day-tour in Barcelona (after you have already been there)?

May I suggest a day trip to another city?

Thank you. Unfortunately it is a short port day. We must return to the ship by 17,00h

Appreciate any suggestions……….was not sure about Montserrat on a Sunday as we would not see the choir.

@martyap-

Have you been the the Hospital de Sant Pau?  It is an art Nouveau masterpiece by a contemporary of Gaudí.  It is well worth a visit.

https://santpaubarcelona.org/en/visites/

Another place would be the Palau Güell near the bottom of the Ramblas:

https://inici.palauguell.cat/en/

If you don't have BDT take you to Montserrat, they could give you a tour of both those places if you don't want to do them on your own.

On 12/29/2023 at 12:36 PM, martyap said:

Thank you. Unfortunately it is a short port day. We must return to the ship by 17,00h

Appreciate any suggestions……….was not sure about Montserrat on a Sunday as we would not see the choir.

Hello

I have posted a full day visit to Barcelona within Monjuic mountain just here

It is something different rather than gothic quarter and Sagrada Familia but I am sure you will enjoy it too much.

I will try to enlarge further information about all those items.

Please, post there all your questions about Monjuic and I will try to answer them

Hi, we disembark in Barcelona and have to get the airport. I was going to pre-book a car service, but I cant find any that don't contain reviews about drivers not picking them up! Our flight is at 11:25am, and the ship docks pretty early - 5 am. Should we just do the NCL transfers? It's $37.50pp. 

8 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

I read that there was a long walk to get to the taxis? I'm not sure if that was NCL specific or not. 

Hi,

Just grab a taxi.

In Europe it is, by far, easier to grab a taxi than to book a private transfer.

Taxis reach piers. I do not know where NCL will moor in Barcelona (pier is able for several ships at the same time). Perhaps it will be the only ship in Barcelona that day (you can search if it does) but all kind of transport is available to reach the pier (usually taxis, buses and trucks for freight but I know relatives who go with some friends by car and later, car is back).

It is for underground where you have to walk a lot (or take a shuttle)

Just in case, tell taxi operator the name of the ship. If there are two different ones, it will be besides your ship

On 1/2/2024 at 5:02 PM, alserrod said:

Yeah, but Bus 46 departs from Plaza de España (in front of Montjuic, western side).

My recommendation.

If you are leaving Barcelona from Terminal 2, get commuter train. It is as fast as taxi (or maybe faster enough).

If you are leaving Barcelona from Terminal 1, get the subway as I explained in the previous link

Putting this here as it is a better place. I saw bus 46 at Plaza Espanya on boarding day, that is why I thought to take it. But the commuter to the airport is also attractive, it is included in the T-casual, right? Where it stops in the town center?

Fast or slow is totally unimportant, I have more than enough time to kill 😄