TRANSPORT IN BARCELONA (taxi, metro, bus, etc... to the city, port and airport). All information and questions!!

alserrod

54 minutes ago, mrc1961 said:

I will be traveling from BCN Airport directly to Cruise terminal.This is September 1.  Arrival is 9:00 am Sunday morning on a direct international flight from the US. Royal Caribbean Oasis departs at 6 pm.  (I know same day arrivals are risky, but with work, family, and flight schedules this was the only option.)  I have been very fortunate (so far) with timeliness of overnight TATL flights.  

What is my most reliable option for getting out of airport quickly and and getting the most reliable transportation to the port?

1.) Use a car service and having someone tracking our flight and meeting us (with a sign) at the airport?

2.) Walking out to taxi stand and getting in line?

3.) Buy a transport package for the "bus service" provided by RCL?

Are there any services for purchase that offer a faster track through immigration at BCN - Something similar to global entry? 

Thanks in advance.

All three are fine but I'd choose #3 for overall certainty and coordination with cruise line.

Hi.  My husband and I will be arriving in Barcelona on September 11th. We will be going to Catalonia Plaza Cataluña hotel.  We are bringing 6 pieces of luggage, various sizes and two bags.  On top of that we are bringing my collasible wheelchair.  It is a lot of luggage.  I am wondering if it will be fine for us to just go to the taxi stand outside of the airport to get a taxi (no pre-reservation) to take us to the hotel.  We don't really need an accessible van as I can easily get in and out of a vehicle and the wheelchair collaspses.  I don't think everything will fit in a sedan type vehicle. Are there larger taxis and if yes do we just wit in the taxi line for one?  What is the best way to do this?  Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, CTGirl said:

Hi.  My husband and I will be arriving in Barcelona on September 11th. We will be going to Catalonia Plaza Cataluña hotel.  We are bringing 6 pieces of luggage, various sizes and two bags.  On top of that we are bringing my collasible wheelchair.  It is a lot of luggage.  I am wondering if it will be fine for us to just go to the taxi stand outside of the airport to get a taxi (no pre-reservation) to take us to the hotel.  We don't really need an accessible van as I can easily get in and out of a vehicle and the wheelchair collaspses.  I don't think everything will fit in a sedan type vehicle. Are there larger taxis and if yes do we just wit in the taxi line for one?  What is the best way to do this?  Thanks in advance.

With all that luggage, a collapsible wheelchair and, presumably, at least one person who has some difficulty betting around I think it would be best to pre-book a suitable transfer from the airport tomyour hotel.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2024 at 9:26 PM, mrc1961 said:

I will be traveling from BCN Airport directly to Cruise terminal.This is September 1.  Arrival is 9:00 am Sunday morning on a direct international flight from the US. Royal Caribbean Oasis departs at 6 pm.  (I know same day arrivals are risky, but with work, family, and flight schedules this was the only option.)  I have been very fortunate (so far) with timeliness of overnight TATL flights.  

What is my most reliable option for getting out of airport quickly and and getting the most reliable transportation to the port?

1.) Use a car service and having someone tracking our flight and meeting us (with a sign) at the airport?

2.) Walking out to taxi stand and getting in line?

3.) Buy a transport package for the "bus service" provided by RCL?

Are there any services for purchase that offer a faster track through immigration at BCN - Something similar to global entry? 

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, CTGirl said:

Hi, both of you

Best option remains a taxi. Just go out of the terminal and in the main Airport gate you will have the taxi stand. It is impossible not to see it.

I moved in June in a taxi where a wheelchair could stand on there.

We were 4 and had a lot of luggage for our cruise. We didn't need a wheelchair adapted taxi but it was the first in the queue. Taxi driver told me 10% of Barcelona taxis are adapted.

If you go to the taxi stand and first taxi is not adapted for wheelchairs, ask for it. If there's another one in the taxi queue, ask for it. If there's, ask taxi driver to call by radio for one. He will do.

About transfers, they aren't common in Barcelona. I bet you will find but I am absolutely sure you will not have a problem with the taxi.

About the fares, 45 euro airport to pier, with ALL included. 

Cheaper to city centre but it depends on day (weekday/weekend) distance, etc...

• Thanks 1

So, there you go... two very different opinions:  1.  Some guy in Ottawa who only ever uses the Aerobus, and 2. A Spanish citizen with recent experience taking a taxi at the airport with loads of luggage.

Probably boils down to the certainty of having a suitable vehicle waiting for you when you arrive in BCN and how important that is to you.

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

So, there you go... two very different opinions:  1.  Some guy in Ottawa who only ever uses the Aerobus, and 2. A Spanish citizen with recent experience taking a taxi at the airport with loads of luggage.

Probably boils down to the certainty of having a suitable vehicle waiting for you when you arrive in BCN and how important that is to you.

Hi

Aerobus has pros and cons.

Cheaper but it just stop you in Plaza España. Surely you will need a taxi from there so.... why do not take a taxi from the airport?

From Terminal 2 there's a commuter (suburban train) direct to Passeig de Gracia in about 30 minutes (if you are in Terminal 1 there's a free shuttle bus)

This is, by far, the cheapest way to go from the airport to city centre (and if there's congestion, faster than a taxi). It is just one train, loudspeakers in English, place for luggage and just some stops. Impossible to get lost.

Another option (a bit more expensive, slower but you can go to almost any corner in the city) is the underground. There's one line direct to the airport and any passenger who has traveled in main cities surely will use with any problem.

I just said a taxi because it is the easiest with a reasonable price.... but if anyone wanna.... aerobus and specially commuter (called rodalies) are available too

3 minutes ago, alserrod said:

Hi

Aerobus has pros and cons.

Cheaper but it just stop you in Plaza España. Surely you will need a taxi from there so.... why do not take a taxi from the airport?

From Terminal 2 there's a commuter (suburban train) direct to Passeig de Gracia in about 30 minutes (if you are in Terminal 1 there's a free shuttle bus)

This is, by far, the cheapest way to go from the airport to city centre (and if there's congestion, faster than a taxi). It is just one train, loudspeakers in English, place for luggage and just some stops. Impossible to get lost.

Another option (a bit more expensive, slower but you can go to almost any corner in the city) is the underground. There's one line direct to the airport and any passenger who has traveled in main cities surely will use with any problem.

I just said a taxi because it is the easiest with a reasonable price.... but if anyone wanna.... aerobus and specially commuter (called rodalies) are available too

Oh, I wasn't suggesting CTGirl should even contemplate the Aerobus.... that's what I use!  Your experience with taxis at BCN is superior to mine and should figure prominently in CTGirl's strategy.

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Oh, I wasn't suggesting CTGirl should even contemplate the Aerobus.... that's what I use!  Your experience with taxis at BCN is superior to mine and should figure prominently in CTGirl's strategy.

Hi....

Again

Aerobus is a GOOD OPTION

Just to know it is very easy to take it, easy to transport luggage and affordable (cheaper than a taxi)

Another option is commuter.

Aerobus stops you just in Plaza España. A taxi is required from there (or an underground)

Commuter stops you in Sants station and in P.de Gracia. With a single free transfer also in Plaza Cataluña. A taxi is required from there too

After reading a lot of posts, most travelers are looking for a hotel near P.de Gracia or Plaza Cataluña so aerobus doesn't fit (it fits with a taxi for a short distance).

That's why I recommend taxi..... but depending on situation, aerobus (and commuter!!!!) could be very good options too

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2024 at 10:59 PM, catspaw1 said:

Is it easy to get a car from cabify or Uber in Barcelona? I prefer to know in advance how much the trip is & have it paid directly by credit card. If you do take a cab, do they give change?

Hi

Uber operates in Barcelona but it has few cars. Cabify is another company like Uber and has a greater number.

If you ask for a taxi and you pay in cash they will give you change (I do not know if there's a maximum for changes... this is, do not expect to pay 20 euro with a 100 euro bank note and receive change because security reasons in the taxi)

In this thread I have posted Barcelona taxi fares

- airport to port and vv has a fixed fare, all supplements included

- for other destinations you can calculate according to destination (and consider a little plus about traffic lights, jams and other stops).

- You are entitled to decide not only destination but the way to follow. In case of longer trips, maybe taxi driver would ask you if you prefer shortest in time or cheapest (if he takes a longer journey by motorway or any other avenue you will save time but if distance is longer, it will be more expensive).

In any case, you can look for the route in google maps and ask to follow it before departing

But taxi drivers in Barcelona do not have a bad reputation for ripping tourists

How about from the train station? Is the commuter train easy to take with luggage & no steps? Or how much would a taxi be near to the plaza Cataluyna? Muchas gracias para su ayudar!

13 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

How about from the train station? Is the commuter train easy to take with luggage & no steps? Or how much would a taxi be near to the plaza Cataluyna? Muchas gracias para su ayudar!

Excuse me, about what train station are you asking about?

Sants?

We arrive in Barcelona on Thursday 19th Sept on the Oosterdam (HA). On that day, per Cruise Mapper, there will be four ships arriving/departing; Oosterdam is the earliest (7:00am); then two at 8am, and 1 at 9am. 

Looking at the Barcelona cruise terminal map - I see two 'T' marks for 'Taxi' - 

image.thumb.png.62691c357cbf00e8af32b47690da0e6f.png

I presume we will be arriving at one of the docks A, B, C etc and then there will be some sort of shuttle that will take us to the area at the bottom left of the image, near to where the left-most 'T' is marked.  Is that true? Will there be a huge line of passengers trying to get taxis? I'm assuming it will be in our interest to get to the taxi line asap before the other three ships arrive and unload. 

From what I'm reading here, Barcelona taxis are not noted for 'issues' (unlike Rome taxis). We only need a short ride to Gran Via (about 15 mins). Are the fares fixed or regulated? 

Not for this journey in particular, but does the "FreeNow" taxi app work in Barcelona? I prefer in general to pay through an app, as well as defining my destination (this question is for later in the visit). 

Edited by Steerpike58

Hi

It doesn't matter in which Terminal you will be. All buses and taxis must go until a roundabout located between Terminal B and Terminal C and later, keep on or back to Terminal A and B.

There's a bus service (not included for any other transport ticket) from all terminals to Barcelona world trade centre (600m ahead of nearest metro station).

There are taxi stands in front of all terminals. You will find always enough taxis. Do not worry in that way. I was in Barcelona pier in June and my waiting time was under 1 minute. Just arrive to the stand and go.

Just in case there aren't taxis, call any taxi phone and say where you are. Taxis are used to appear in the morning when the ship arrives, people has a disembark or wanna visit Barcelona. For the rest of the day they will appear with embarking passengers or with people that comes back to the ship (and will get passengers who wanna go to city centre). So, if all have dissappeared, just call a taxi phone and you will not wait for a long time.

There's a fixed fee from the harbour to the airport. For other destinations it is a variable fee (airport fee was calculated for highest possible fare, all supplements, etc.... and really it is not a bargain).

Do not worry about variable fee. Taxi drivers in Barcelona do not have a bad reputation for scamming. First of all, their best business is to drive you as fast as possible to destination, collect money and get another passenger asap (they will earn more money than scamming you doing detours).

You are entitled to ask not only destination but the route to follow too. You can point in your mobile and show driver before departing but really..... do not worry. If you do not ask anything to them, they will try to follow the fastest route (sometimes it can be a bit more expensive than cheapest route). I always let them to choose. They know streets and avenues better than me by far.

There's a way to prepay a journey but it really is not worth at all. Just regular fares, trust them and pay at the end.

You can pay with a credit card if you want. Visa and Mastercard only. Other ones like Diners aren't welcome.

9 hours ago, alserrod said:

It doesn't matter in which Terminal you will be. All buses and taxis must go until a roundabout located between Terminal B and Terminal C and later, keep on or back to Terminal A and B.

There are taxi stands in front of all terminals. You will find always enough taxis. Do not worry in that way. I was in Barcelona pier in June and my waiting time was under 1 minute. Just arrive to the stand and go. 

Thanks for the info.  So the taxis are allowed to drive all the way in to the different ship terminals? That's a surprise. Normally, for security purposes, they can't get near the ships in big ports. Very good. 

Not sure of the relevance of the Roundabout between T-A and T-B, if the taxis can go to all the terminals. 

With 4,000 people arriving at once, I can't imagine how all this works, but - we'll see it soon enough! 

Do not worry about variable fee. Taxi drivers in Barcelona do not have a bad reputation for scamming. First of all, their best business is to drive you as fast as possible to destination, collect money and get another passenger asap (they will earn more money than scamming you doing detours).

There's a way to prepay a journey but it really is not worth at all. Just regular fares, trust them and pay at the end.

You can pay with a credit card if you want. Visa and Mastercard only. Other ones like Diners aren't welcome.

That's great to hear. My previous bad experiences have mostly a) been in Italy, and b) before the standardization on Euro. I have a good sense of the 'value' when stated in Euros.  The biggest concern is probably that they will tell a story about not needing a meter, then dream up a high charge on arrival at hotel. This has happened to me more times than I care to count.  Another issue I've had is that the driver will punch in an extra zero on the credit card charge machine, so 10 becomes 100....  That's why an 'App' is welcomed - takes away all the mystery and anxiety.  Again - not for this journey specifically, but for all the other times we may need a taxi in town. So - does the FreeNow app work in Barcelona? 

Edit To Add - just saw this post in the Barcelona general forum - "There is a taxi stand right outside the terminal.  We were there in Sept.  The line was pretty long when we got in it.  It took about 20 to 30 minutes to get into taxi."

That seems to contradict much of the info above ... 'outside the terminal...'? 

Edited by Steerpike58

1 hour ago, Steerpike58 said:

Thanks for the info.  So the taxis are allowed to drive all the way in to the different ship terminals? That's a surprise. Normally, for security purposes, they can't get near the ships in big ports. Very good. 

Not sure of the relevance of the Roundabout between T-A and T-B, if the taxis can go to all the terminals. 

With 4,000 people arriving at once, I can't imagine how all this works, but - we'll see it soon enough! 

That's great to hear. My previous bad experiences have mostly a) been in Italy, and b) before the standardization on Euro. I have a good sense of the 'value' when stated in Euros.  The biggest concern is probably that they will tell a story about not needing a meter, then dream up a high charge on arrival at hotel. This has happened to me more times than I care to count.  Another issue I've had is that the driver will punch in an extra zero on the credit card charge machine, so 10 becomes 100....  That's why an 'App' is welcomed - takes away all the mystery and anxiety.  Again - not for this journey specifically, but for all the other times we may need a taxi in town. So - does the FreeNow app work in Barcelona? 

Edit To Add - just saw this post in the Barcelona general forum - "There is a taxi stand right outside the terminal.  We were there in Sept.  The line was pretty long when we got in it.  It took about 20 to 30 minutes to get into taxi."

That seems to contradict much of the info above ... 'outside the terminal...'? 

Hi

This is the street from the city to terminals

First one is Terminal A. As you see, the road is "over" terminals. Somewhere, it goes down, there's a control about cars allowed to enter into terminals (all taxis are allowed) and a roundabout to all terminals.

terminal1.thumb.jpg.8e90c725e973b0bb187b3c64e8b64883.jpg

But that roundabout is just for port control. It doesn't matter for a passenger.

Now... this is Terminal A (And the ship is the MSC Seaview indeed!!!!!)

Be awared in Barcelona you will get into the ship through deck 6 (not through deck 4 as usual). There are some ramps for passengers and it is more comfortable.

Waves-roof building is the "Terminal A"

Bar-parking is for buses

Taxi stand is located in the right  (and obviously "out of the terminal" if we consider Terminal = Building)

terminal2.thumb.jpg.dbcd9fa95127a1decdc267df84de958c.jpg

I do not use app for taxi in Barcelona. When I arrived I just got the first one in the train station and payed with my credit card. When I finished my cruise, again I got the first one available out of the terminal and payed again with my credit card.

I haven't ever had any problems with decimals when paying

54 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

We are planning to get from Sagrada Familia to Park Guell circa 6pm on a Friday.  This website suggests taking L5 then L3 metro to Vallcarca Metro station, then walking to the park.  Vallcarca seems an 'overshoot' relative to 'Lesseps' station, but - my guess is, Vallcarca is preferred because it cuts out some hill-climbing? 

If we go to Vallcarca metro, then it would appear we will be entering the park at a 'side entrance', and it's not clear there's a ticket-office there (from google streetview).  Will we be able to purchase an entry ticket there, and if we have pre-purchased a ticket already (very likely), then will we be able to use / redeem that ticket at this 'side entrance'?   Assuming we enter at this 'side entrance', are we still going to be best-served by walking all the way to the main entrance, which appears to be the one located on C. d'Olot? Is that where the main bulk of interesting stuff is?  And once done, should we return to Vallcarca or would we be better served by returning to the "Lesseps' station, it being downhill (the Park's official website seems to be recommending Lesseps rather than Vallcarca). 

This is a google maps image of the area in question:

image.thumb.png.b9124fd7a991ab0196422cd3abf59e40.png

Hi

A taxi shouldn't be very expensive. They are just 2,5 km.

But if you wanna use metro (IMHO it is another way to know more about a city) I would use Valcarca station.

I do not know why Lesseps it is indicated. A looong time ago it was last station in line 3 so it was really the only available for Parc Güell but I bet they should had updated info in these decades (lol!!!)

you will find more info about underground in this thread

Not just transport related, but what's the general consensus on these 'travel cards' or 'visit Barcelona' cards?  Are they officially sanctioned, or a tourist rip-off?  We plan to use a lot of Public Transit (esp. Metro), and visit several 'mainstream attractions' (Sagrada F, Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, etc) and are generally interested in pre-booking to avoid lines 'on the day'.  There seem to be several 'packages' that include unlimited use of transit, plus entry to various attractions, and/or discounts for attractions. 

So are these rip-offs or a good deal?  Assuming they are legitimate, how do they work in regards to making actual timed reservations?  That is - if they include entry to an attraction, do you still have to stand in line at said attraction to get the entry ticket on the day (at a discount)?   The alternative is to just buy each ticket online ahead of time, missing out on any discounts from these cards (but getting the time-slot and avoiding lines on the day)

This is an image of a typical set of 'bundles'.  Are these 'city sponsored' or 'city sanctioned'? Are there many different vendors of these, or is it one official card that many vendors try to sell? 

image.png.061bbe2b0981d4ca37e295a3a08daa52.png

Hi.

I do not know about those cards but....

Hola Barcelona appears in the official Barcelona transport website

https://www.tmb.cat/es/tarifas-metro-bus-barcelona/billetes-visita-barcelona/abono-por-dias-hola-bcn/2-dias

so it must belong to the own public transport  system.

Just a hint to know if a webpage belongs to a public administration or a private company...

- if it is a public administration webpage, it is mandatory to have a Catalan version

- if it is a private company, surely it will not have that version

Have a look and holabarcelona.com  has a Catalan version of its webpage.

About saving money.... it is matter of discussion, of course.

I have saved a lot, lot, lot of money in Paris with those cards

and I will not buy for London.

I just took a calculator and took a decission

Anyway, I have searched the email for questions you could have

info@barcelonaturisme.com

It is the official Tourism desk email

https://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/es/page/38/puntos-de-informacion-turistica.html

Our port time at Barcelona is 8AM-11PM on Thursday 9/19. We plan to visit Palau de la Música Catalana and Dali theater museum and stop by at Girona. Because the music hall closes at 3:30PM, it has to be visited in the morning. However there is no fast train from Barcelona between 9:10 and 12:45PM. So if we take the 12:45PM train to Figueres, and still want to stop at Girona on our way back, the earliest train to Barcelona would be 7:24PM departing from Girona and arriving at Barcelona Sants at 8:03PM. And there will be another train 30 min later.

I am wonder if that's too risky? If there is any significant delays (is that often and where I can find statistics) then we are stuck 100 kms away. Technically we can still call a taxi from Girona if there is no train but I am afraid of "rolling delays" which gives you false hope until it's too late. I also found the Renfe/s rating on the tripadvisor isn't good. 

Edited by tc-cruise

Hello:

Renfe was very, very punctual. So much so that it offered part of the refund just for arriving 15 minutes late (they have eliminated this refund commitment)
Now it is not so punctual. It is one of the most punctual in Europe but it no longer has the reputation it once had.

Obviously, when it comes to delays, you never know. They can have several days of maximum punctuality and then there may be a delay... on your train.

I have reviewed my last train trips. Both trips to/from Barcelona and trips to other destinations but where the train left or arrived in Barcelona. There have been very few delays. The longest was 30 minutes, others only 10 and many many have been totally punctual.

In any case, and before taking a taxi, you have a "plan B".
Between Gerona and Barcelona, in addition to the high-speed trains (reservation is essential) there are also regional trains. Some make four intermediate stops, in the larger towns. Others make more than ten stops. They take a little longer than the high-speed trains, but they also connect Girona and Barcelona.
And one important thing: although they leave and arrive at the same stations, the tracks are completely different (a technical detail: the high-speed tracks have the same width as in the rest of the world, but the regional train tracks are wider for a historical reason. The trains run independently on one track or another). What does this mean? Well, a delay on a high-speed train or track does not affect a regional train (and vice versa).

These are the timetables.
I hope you don't have to use them, but if you do, in Barcelona get off at the "Barcelona - Paseo de Gracia" stop (just in front of Casa Batllo). It saves you five minutes compared to getting to Sants station and it's a little closer to the port.

If you go by high-speed train, at the moment the only stop is Sants

R11.pdf

Thank you so much @alserrod! Good to know the regional trains run on a completely different track. 

One more question, how do I find the prices for those regional trains? Renfe.com only says those tickets can't be bought online. 

Edited by tc-cruise

21 hours ago, tc-cruise said:

Thank you so much @alserrod! Good to know the regional trains run on a completely different track. 

One more question, how do I find the prices for those regional trains? Renfe.com only says those tickets can't be bought online. 

8,40 euro/ticket

It is a suburban train that joins Figueras, Gerona and some other towns with Barcelona.

High speed train is faster and more comfortable.... but this one is not bad for a 1h15 journey

• 2 weeks later...

We will be group of 11 with luggage disembarking Norwegian Breakaway.  Notes state 5am disembark but I know that is not when we leave.  Looking to book 11am flight back to US from Barcelona airport and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for private van service pickup to airport from port. 

I figured may be cheaper or same price vs lining up for taxis which I presume we will need 3-4 taxis  Thanks in advance for suggestions.