Volendam, Panama 3 weeks

SeaGypsy1

We are sailing on the Volendam in April:) . Just wondering, any things not to be missed, tips, treasures, hints, Neptune lounge, etc. Who might be the Captain, Hotel Manager and Guest Relations Manager, Maitre D'? We would appreciate any suggestions. Anyone wish to send a greeting to any staff member? How about the Panama, any particular thing to see or do? Thank you, in advance for your helpful suggestions.

I have not done this cruise in eight years. I would advise you not to stay out for too long. The heat and humidity of Panama can be quite oppressive. The canal is a wonder of the world and to go all the way through it is a memorable cruise.

Himself

Thank you for the advice. I will heed it as I am fair skinned. We are really looking forward to this cruise, our first on the Volendam and first canal crossing. If you think of anything else, I am listening.

SeaGypsy - These were the key officers on our cruise:

Captain - Pieter Visser

Hotel Manager Theo Hannen

Cruise Director - Jack Chambers

I can't speak to the others you asked about as I didn't meet them and their names are not on or in any of the information we got while on the ship. Of course the three I have named may or may not be on the ship for your sailing as I don't know about rotations and/or vacation time for any of them.

You asked about the Neptune Lounge so I'm assuming you'll be in the PS or one of the S category suites. It's a great place to drop by for information, help, and an occasional nibble. Regina is the concierge, or at least was for our cruise, and a pure delight. Please say hell-o from Randy and Carey for us. Her husband Reggie works in the lounges as a waiter, he was in the Crow's Nest for our cruise, but they rotate around the ship so no telling where he'll be for your cruise. Both of them should be on the ship as they were not too far into their present contracts and I don't believe they had a break until later this year.

Passage through the Panama Canal is fantastic. We did it last year on Celebrity's Galaxy (actually just a partial passage, not all the way from the Atlantic to the Pacific) and really enjoyed the experience. I don't know when you'll be starting into the canal but we started around 5:30 AM. Yes, we got up and did it.....that's why we took the cruise so we weren't going to miss it. The best viewing is from aft on the Lido deck. Why? You can camp out at a table early in the morning and not have to stand for the whole transit. Secondly, breakfast....at least coffee for my wife that early.....is just a few steps away. There are a lot more viewing opportunities from the aft and it's a very pleasant way to experience the locks. The heat and sun shouldn't be a problem early in the morning and you can easily slip into the Lido Cafe or around the pool to get out of the sun if that becomes a problem.

Here's a picture of my wife, Regina and Reggie taken in the Neptune Lounge. (We just happened to catch Reggie in there and got this picture....he normally isn't there as there is no bar in the Neptune.)

Regina_CK_Reggie.jpg.74d7ad29b792f023d2888c3ece6f8ca5.jpg

Randy,

Thank you for answering my questions and the tip on viewing the Canal from aft on the Lido deck. We will do that. I will certainly say hello to Regina and Reggie. Thanks to you, your wife along with the well written review and beautiful photos, I feel we have had an introduction to the staff and the lovely Volendam. Excitement is soaring!:D

Not a problem. If there are any more questions just ask away. My wife and I were just musing about this past cruise and can't think of a cruise we've enjoyed more or a crew that we miss more than our Volendam friends. With only 6 cruises under our belts this is the very best, in almost every respect. We really looked to do the Volendam next year but we're still into collecting different ports and the itineraries for next year had too many repeats for us. It wasn't without some sadness that we moved on to another great HAL ship.

Sea Gypsy

I too am fair skinned but even if one is not the humidity can be oppressive. The time I went through On the Old Westerdam, we were blessed with a rainstorm that got it got the temp and humidity down so it wasn't too bad. But boy, going into those locks the Heat was about 96 farinheight and the humidity just as high.

It can be dangerous so be wise and prudent. The sun down there is also very intense.

Himself

Don't miss the Bridge of the Americas and the other, newer bridge on the Pacific side. Drink LOTS of water!

If you have to get up early, the locks are really the most interesting part. You can always take a break ( or a nap) while the ship is transiting Gatun Lake, and return for the remainder of the locks.

Have fun!

Beth

One thing to add. Mrs. K and I got up and did the early transit through the Gatun Locks and then went back to the cabin and slept for a few hours. On the return trip.....much later in the day.....it was hot and humid so we camped out in what would be the equivalent of the Crow's Nest. Very comfortable, out of the heat and we could still enjoy the transit.

Archived