Semi-live: Crown Princess, “Mexican Riviera” Dec 12 to Dec 22

mk-ultra

7 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

I more meant, if they know the berth isn't viable at the time, possibly planning ahead and using an alternate one.  And if none are available, having a plan like the Hyatt or another option in place and ready.

There are only 2 piers for cruise ships in SF and they are in the same general area. We will be taking the Crown to Mexico next month and will be interested in the tides

1 minute ago, memoak said:

There are only 2 piers for cruise ships in SF and they are in the same general area. We will be taking the Crown to Mexico next month and will be interested in the tides

Good to know, only been to the port once as a stop.  This will be our first time boarding there.

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

Used to live in the area so have sailed from there many times over the years

My wife and I would do so many more cruises if we lived in a port city.  Sadly, Ottawa, as great as it is, lacks cruise ships sailing up to it 🙂 

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

This was a very unusual event. I have cruised from SF at least 15 times and never seen this happen 

It's not unusual  The tides are charted out for a few years at a time.  NOAA has the tide charts available.  The draft of the crown Princess hasn't changed either.  If they (the Port) had noticed that there was silt building up, they should dredge it.  They just rolled the dice and had Princess take the hit.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, dweeb said:

How about dredging like every other world class port does so this doesn't happen?

I am not sure with certainty who this falls upon but I would imagine it is the Port of San Francisco.  Such a wonderful city but wow, they have mismanaged things for a number of years.  I will leave it at that!  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's record rains that caused this. Never happened before. 

Like I said before multiple times I have cruised from SF and never seen this before. Just hoping it does not happen again for my Jan 23 cruise

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, memoak said:

Like I said before multiple times I have cruised from SF and never seen this before. Just hoping it does not happen again for my Jan 23 cruise

Yes, also Princess uses San Francisco as a port of call on it's CA Coastal cruises from Vancouver and Los Angeles, usually there from 6:00am until 10:30pm, in other words, all day long. They've never skipped SF due to silt buildup. 

Attended the "Tide Pool Life" enrichment talk this morning.  The presenter is naturalist Robert Raincock.  Absolutely worth attending his talks.  He's funny, very personable, and manages to present what could have been pretty dry (pun intended) information in an engaging way.

Turns out I missed his talk on astrophotography yesterday.  I don't even remember seeing that in the app.  Then again, after gambling and drinking all night, I'm lucky to remember anything.  Up another $1200, so I ain't complaining.  Up $2500 in total now.  🙂

We witnessed the Geminid meteor shower last night.  It's a couple of days past peak, but still damn impressive.  One meteor every 1-3 seconds.  Still not done, so I'll be ogling it tonight again.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

We shifted +1 hour ahead again last night, putting us 2 hours ahead of Pacific time. 

Excellent potential for spotting pier-runners from the lido deck tomorrow. 😂

you do know that current ship time is Manzanilla time ;~}

55 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Ship time should be the same as local time in port. No excuse for pier runners.

Oh ye of human faith... my bets are on pier sprinting after a lot of people messed with their phone's time twice.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Haha 2

At Crab Shack for dinner.  This is one of those fabulous things you can’t see in the cruise planner or book ahead of time. $39. Allegedly it’s only on AK cruises but we have 3 nights of it.  Best kept secret on the fleet. Kill yourself after reading this.

Edited by mk-ultra

Crab Shack kinda failed on the "crab" part.  Alaska had zero, as in no, snow crabbing this season.  SF Bay area had a delayed dunginess crab season... not even sure if the fishery is open for crabs yet.  Thus, meager crab in that pot.  Sad face.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

Tomorrow: "Magic Peublos: Nogueras and Coalma w/lunch."  Basically, 1.5 hour bus ride to admire some architecture and visit a museum.  1.5 hours back, then fooding  .I'm really good at admiring buildings and meandering through museums, so cool.  Also fairly skilled at eating.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1