Specialty Dining reservation

Hello CruiseGurus,

It is has been like 20 years that I went on my first and only cruise and i feel like I'm a newbie here.  

We have booked a trip on NCL SUN for 13-17 March 2024.  We have paid one specialty dining package.  I have couple of questions.

1) I am trying to book a reservation and all of them say that "Not available to book or try later or once on board".  Does this mean that all the available reservations are taken for now?

2) Since we have selected this specialty dinning,  do we have to pay where it says ala carte? 

Thank you and appreciate it.

Firsttimeafteralongtime cruiser

1 minute ago, Firstimeafteralongtime said:

Hello CruiseGurus,

It is has been like 20 years that I went on my first and only cruise and i feel like I'm a newbie here.  

We have booked a trip on NCL SUN for 13-17 March 2024.  We have paid one specialty dining package.  I have couple of questions.

1) I am trying to book a reservation and all of them say that "Not available to book or try later or once on board".  Does this mean that all the available reservations are taken for now?

2) Since we have selected this specialty dinning,  do we have to pay where it says ala carte? 

Thank you and appreciate it.

Firsttimeafteralongtime cruiser

The reservation window opens at 12 days prior to departure.

Since you are past that date, assume that all slots are booked.

There are slots held to be given out onboard. You should attempt to book as soon as possible after boarding. There will be a desk somewhere to do this. Also can be done from video terminals on board.

Your purchase includes a four course meal at the a la carte specialty restaurants. No charge.

The few that are flat price, same applies.

• Like 1

@Firstimeafteralongtime

1) As you don't have any Latitudes position as you haven't cruised recently you are not entitled to early booking privileges

Entertainment can be pre-booked 26 days prior to sailing for Platinum and above members. For Platinum, Diamond and Sapphire members, dining can be pre-booked 125 days prior to sailing and for Ambassadors, dining can be pre-booked 130 days prior to sailing. Shore excursions can be pre-booked typically 1 year prior to sailing for Platinum and above members.

2)  As it is an a la carte boking there will be no charges=, when you book your "file" will show the one free meal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

The reservation window opens at 12 days prior to departure.

Since you are past that date, assume that all slots are booked.

There are slots held to be given out onboard. You should attempt to book as soon as possible after boarding. There will be a desk somewhere to do this. Also can be done from video terminals on board.

Your purchase includes a four course meal at the a la carte specialty restaurants. No charge.

The few that are flat price, same applies.

you meant 120 days, correct?

We are lowly silver and were able to book specialty dinners 120 days (125 for club balcony and up) out including main dining rooms.  HOWEVER book the venues with set meal cost like Teppanyaki 1st, if not system will try and charge you for those, even though you still have open dinners.  I'm not real good with math, you might be inside the 120 and those advance reservations go QUICK!!  However it's well documented  there are at least 1/2+  the reservations held back until cruise day, just don't hesitate finding were to book on board and go there 1st!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Firstimeafteralongtime said:

So let me ask this.  Is there a chance that we do not get reservations at the specialty dining? if so, will they refund the amount that we paid?

You should be able to get into these venues if you have some flexibility.

Sometimes, you can just walk up and get in last minute (if not good, just head to the MDR or buffet).

About that refund...IDK, but my guess is that it would be a fight unless you could show that there really was nothing available at all.

4 hours ago, Firstimeafteralongtime said:

So let me ask this.  Is there a chance that we do not get reservations at the specialty dining? if so, will they refund the amount that we paid?

Never experienced anyone asking for a refund on FAS dining packages so don’t know NCL policy regarding a refund (I suspect you don’t receive a refund, but….). Even if NCL agrees to refund you because you couldn’t make a reservation at some point for any restaurant, remember, you only paid the gratuity. For 2 FAS meals it’s $19.80 per person ($9.90 per meal).

I have always been able to book any restaurant on any cruise. Just like on land, popular locations at desired times are difficult to obtain. Prior planning is important, but you can eat at Cagney's or La Bistro on any cruise, just not at 7:00pm on New Year’s Eve.  If you’re not booked before the cruise go to the restaurant reservation desk or the reservation touch screens located in every elevator lobby when you board and do it then. Even without reservations you can walk up and ask for a table. You may wait, but most likely they will be able to seat you at some point. 

5 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

"Starting 90 days prior to your sail date, you can Log In to My NCL to reserve your specialty dining for every night of your cruise. You can also make dinner reservations on board the ship."

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/new-to-cruising/countdown-cruise

That isn't quite accurate, 7+ day cruises you can book 120 days out, 125 days out if you're Platinum or above, or in a Club Balcony Suite, and 130 days out if in a true Suite or Haven.

The 90 day rule is apparently for under 7 day non-holiday sailings (never been on one).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tpgdiver said:

I'm 118 days out, and I can not book dining reservation, not availa le to book.  I called and was told the early bookings must be filled.  For every restaurant, I don't think so.

Something seems wrong there.  I am 11 days out and I can still find reservations for some restaurants.  Most are 9pm but they are there.  

1 hour ago, KSSS2013 said:

That isn't quite accurate, 7+ day cruises you can book 120 days out, 125 days out if you're Platinum or above, or in a Club Balcony Suite, and 130 days out if in a true Suite or Haven.

The 90 day rule is apparently for under 7 day non-holiday sailings (never been on one).

Oh, OK. I just took it from the NCL website that I linked.

Then I went on another NCL website and it says:

Home > Cruise Faq > When Can I Pre Book Dining

When can I pre-book Dining?

Reserving dining before your cruise can help you plan ahead and make sure that you do not miss out on our most popular restaurants. You can pre-book these onboard activities myncl.com following the schedule below

Suites and Haven

130 days prior to sailing

Club Balcony Staterooms

125 days prior to sailing

All other staterooms

• For sailings that are 6 days or less and are not a holiday sailing, 90 days prior to sailing
• For sailings that are 6 days or less and are a holiday sailing, 120 days prior to sailing
• For sailings that are 7 days or more, 120 days prior to sailing

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/when-can-i-pre-book-dining

Edited by pete_coach

44 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Oh, OK. I just took it from the NCL website that I linked.

Then I went on another NCL website and it says:

Home > Cruise Faq > When Can I Pre Book Dining

When can I pre-book Dining?

Reserving dining before your cruise can help you plan ahead and make sure that you do not miss out on our most popular restaurants. You can pre-book these onboard activities myncl.com following the schedule below

Suites and Haven

130 days prior to sailing

Club Balcony Staterooms

125 days prior to sailing

All other staterooms

• For sailings that are 6 days or less and are not a holiday sailing, 90 days prior to sailing
• For sailings that are 6 days or less and are a holiday sailing, 120 days prior to sailing
• For sailings that are 7 days or more, 120 days prior to sailing

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/when-can-i-pre-book-dining

Welcome to the inconsistency of NCL's web site. I think there's too much information out there and things don't always get updated...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

Something seems wrong there.  I am 11 days out and I can still find reservations for some restaurants.  Most are 9pm but they are there.  

Seems unusual - but do you really want to complain?

If there's something you want, book it.

After you board, check with restaurant reservations to see if you can swap for a more preferred time/date.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:22 PM, Firstimeafteralongtime said:

Well, I chatted with the NCl agent and no reservations can be done now and we have to do onboard on the sail date.

You'll be fine. We were on what I believe was an almost or totally full cruise on Pr1ma last week. We changed our reservations several times and always had room. Every specialty restaurant, except possibly Le Bistro and Cagney's had plenty of walk up seats available. Make your reservations when you board and you'll be totally fine. Also, I don't care to look up the terms and conditions, but I'll bet you money NCL would not refund the gratuity for Free at Sea specialty dining if you don't make use of it. 

As a Sapphire level I am not able to book any restaurant without paying for it ahead of time. I am entitled to 2 free nights of dining. I did not get the dining package. I'm pissed that I am unable to make my reservations before boarding the ship. What good are these perks! Don't want to be eating at 9pm in the evening!