Silver Sea sailing December 22nd Athens to Aqaba, arriving January 6th (Silver Moon).

Brindle2107

Still waiting for my final documents to be emailed to us but been told that they are sent out 15/30 days before departure, is anyone else waiting for theirs as some friendson same cruise received theirs 10 days ago, I assumed that they would send them out at the same time. Slightly concerned the delay might be because they are thinking ofcancelling or rerouting the cruise.

Also, seems to be a thread that is saying that the Silver Moon will now sail from Muscat on January 6th to Dubai!!  How can that be if they are disembarking us in Aqaba on January 6th.

1 hour ago, Brindle2107 said:

Still waiting for my final documents to be emailed to us but been told that they are sent out 15/30 days before departure, is anyone else waiting for theirs as some friendson same cruise received theirs 10 days ago, I assumed that they would send them out at the same time. Slightly concerned the delay might be because they are thinking ofcancelling or rerouting the cruise.

Also, seems to be a thread that is saying that the Silver Moon will now sail from Muscat on January 6th to Dubai!!  How can that be if they are disembarking us in Aqaba on January 6th.

Hi,

I am on the 22/12/23 sailing from Athens. If you go to the thread regarding the sailing for 6/1/24 and go to post #22 you will see that I posted my e doc. for the December cruise.Try checking your junk mail as yours may be there.

Still amazing that your ship is arriving in Aqaba on 1/6 and we on the 1/6 trip from there are now told it leaves from Muscat on 1/6. We have till 12/8 to to stay on a basically unknown itinerary or take FCC. Our flights are of course to Amman 

It seems a complete shambles with SS, the UK office is saying that ours still finishes in Aqaba and the people who have had their final documents have also confirmed this! I will get my Travel Agent to ring them again today for some clarity.

While there are still questions regarding OBC or FCC offerings for the cruise that departs on January 6th, I am confident the 12/22 - 1/06 Silver Moon cruise will disembark in Aqaba.  SS is not changing our disembarkation port.  My travel agent confirmed it today.  Also, I received my cruise documents on 11/25.

Looking forward to meeting all of you on the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting situation . . . the Moon left Antalya yesterday, due in to Heraklion, Crete, tomorrow, but its present course indicates a change of plan.  The Moon appears to be the only cruise ship left in the Eastern Med and Silversea has a decision to make about whether to sail through the Suez Canal next week and head up to Aqaba. Or not.  

1 minute ago, Fletcher said:

Interesting situation . . . the Moon left Antalya yesterday, due in to Heraklion, Crete, tomorrow, but its present course indicates a change of plan.  The Moon appears to be the only cruise ship left in the Eastern Med and Silversea has a decision to make about whether to sail through the Suez Canal next week and head up to Aqaba. Or not.  

Yes, YES, agree with the smart and savvy Fletcher that this is a highly "interesting situation".  Given that most other cruise ships have exited the eastern Med raises important questions. As I have posted on other threads, the Suez Canal is not quite as risky right now.  Maybe OK there?

It is the upcoming Silver Moon Aqaba to Dubai segment that is most challenging and risky now.  The southern part of the Red Sea as ships navigate around Yemen on the way to the Gulf of Aden is the "live-fire" zone for rockets and armed drones.  That's why BP and most of the major shipping companies have stopped any attempts to navigate through that narrow passage and danger zone.  

What do cruise lines, especially with the Silver Moon, attempt in early January for sailing through this danger zone?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

E-tickets for the Jan 6 embarkation from Aqaba were sent today, but presumably if SS is going to do anything drastic with the ships currently planned routing (such as rerouting around Africa) the Dec 22 Athens departure would be it.  

Yes, at this point, SS says that the cruise is going ahead, departing from Aqaba on Jan 6.  KauiJim says that he was told that the segment between Muscat and Dubai was changing but the details would not be revealed until right after the New Year (there are 3-4 different threads that involve this particular segment).  

What we do not know is why SS thinks it is safe to transit the Gulf of Aden while there are drone attacks on ships in the area, such that oil companies are now deciding to go around Africa instead.  

54 minutes ago, Skyhigh said:

Yes, at this point, SS says that the cruise is going ahead, departing from Aqaba on Jan 6.  KauiJim says that he was told that the segment between Muscat and Dubai was changing but the details would not be revealed until right after the New Year (there are 3-4 different threads that involve this particular segment).  What we do not know is why SS thinks it is safe to transit the Gulf of Aden while there are drone attacks on ships in the area, such that oil companies are now deciding to go around Africa instead.  

Appreciate these above updates.  Plus, the excellent above question from our Texas friend.  

Loved the comments of "Going through the Bab al-Mindab strait will certainly be interesting.  Hey, maybe everybody will get a flak helmet with a Silversea logo on it."

We keep hoping to learn more as to how these "logistics" will work out and affect Silver Moon passengers.  And, wishing the best for all involved.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1 hour ago, Skyhigh said:

Yes, at this point, SS says that the cruise is going ahead, departing from Aqaba on Jan 6.  KauiJim says that he was told that the segment between Muscat and Dubai was changing but the details would not be revealed until right after the New Year (there are 3-4 different threads that involve this particular segment).  

What we do not know is why SS thinks it is safe to transit the Gulf of Aden while there are drone attacks on ships in the area, such that oil companies are now deciding to go around Africa instead.  

KauiJim do you know the reason why they are changing the itinerary Muscat to Dubai.  I am on the full 20 day sailing from Aqaba to Dubai, but thought only the Aqaba to Muscat was the problem. Receiving a change of itinerary in the new year would be very disappointing, as I will already be in Jordan and then not be possible to change travel plans.

I only know what we were told when we made the change on Dec 8 , transferred our booking to a new one in 25 . When I look at our SS history we were never on the 1/6 trip ? I truly hope it will be a great trip for you and that we were the ones that made a mistake in transferring.