Has anyone had any experience with filing a claim with IMG?

SimplyAlbert

17 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

Excellent!  I haven't been so fortunate. Last week IMG asked me to send the proof of medical treatment, diagnosis, charges and payment, which I'd already sent them when I placed the claim a month ago.  I submitted those documents AGAIN and also wrote another note asking how they'd managed to lose the documents that I'd already sent.  Crickets chirping....

I ran into the same thing.  I sent detailed letters, attaching the documents in separate tabs to make it easy for them to see and I swear they didn't even bother to read what I wrote or look at the documents.  I even withdrew a claim for some tours as soon as I received reimbursement, sent those documents too, and they kept asking for proof that I paid for the tours!

If you bought the policy through the Trip Insurance Store contact them.  I don't think my claim would have been resolved so quickly without Steve's help.

2 hours ago, SimplyAlbert said:

If you bought the policy through the Trip Insurance Store contact them.  I don't think my claim would have been resolved so quickly without Steve's help.

This ^^

... or the same if you purchased the travel insurance from some other agent/broker!

Especially if they are getting a commission, well, they should be providing the associated service with the policy, if requested.

This is one of the reasons to use an agent/broker rather than purchasing the coverage directly from the insurer.  You get someone to help IF help is needed.

Another reason, of course, is to have some professional help with selecting the coverage type that is best for *you* and *your* travel circumstances.  A policy that is great for one person may not be at all appropriate for someone else.

Without input from someone very familiar with the various polices/coverages, it can be incredibly difficult to understand if there is something in your particular circumstances that would make a particular policy a "bad fit", etc.  And the time to find out that Policy A is not a good fit for you is, um, NOT when you file a claim and it gets denied. 😠

Purchasing travel insurance from an agent/broker doesn't (shouldn't?) cost the traveler anything extra, at least in the USA.  It may be different elsewhere...

We use TripInsuranceStore.  We found them incredibly patient when we were first trying to figure out what type of policy to get.  And all of our claims have been paid*, without nonsense, so it really did work out well!

* One exception:  RECEIPTS really are needed.  We had one tiny portion of one claim denied.  I didn't think to get a receipt for the *tip* for a taxi.  It was too small an amount to bicker over, but I did learn that receipts really are important.

GC

• Thanks 1

So, now that I sent ONCE AGAIN sent them the medical summary with the diagnosis and the detailed treatment and medication list, and the receipt from the infirmary showing it was paid, and the onboard account showing it was paid, and the credit card statement showing that the onboard account was paid, they email me today saying they're continuing assessment of my claim but they now want the full medical report.  Maybe they thought that would trip me up, but I did already have all twelve pages scanned and ready to go in case they got that ridiculous. I actually think this goes above and beyond what I should have to submit and is an invasion of my privacy, but I'll play their little game for now.  We're buying insurance today for three more cruises, and you can be assured that we are NOT buying it through IMG. 

We have two upcoming trips insured with IMG so this is making me nervous, especially since one of them is the most expensive trip we have ever taken!  Luckily, we did buy through Tripinsurancestore.  I will continue to buy from them but going forward I would prefer to stay away from IMG.  This is not the first thread I have seen regarding complaints about IMG.

On 12/19/2023 at 2:24 PM, Vagabond Knight said:

I am dealing with a claim right now from IMG/itravelinsured, also purchased from Trip Insurance Store and I'm getting extremely frustrated.  I got sick on the second cruise of a 47 day four cruise trip, and the ONLY expense I'm trying to recover is the part of the charges from the ship's infirmary that were not covered by my regular insurance... no excursions, no trip delay, no loss other than the rest of the cost of the medical charge.  I filled out the form and provided them with the medical documentation and receipt, the cruise itinerary/invoice and proof of payment (credit card statement). The auto-reply I got when I submitted the claim said I needed all receipts for the entire trip.  I called an talked to a customer service rep who said that just the information for that one cruise should do it.  Then another email after that said I need that info for the entire trip.  What??? I'm now scrambling to come up with invoices from the other three cruises and travel items, all of which were not affected, and I have to send ten credit card statements from three different credit cards for pieces of the trip that we purchased over a period of eight months, plus the final folios for each cruise.  This makes no sense whatsoever.  How would the two cruises after I got sick affect payment of the illness on the second cruise?  I feel like they're trying to make this a hardship and hope that I give up trying to collect from them.  

Hi Vagabond Knight,

Did you get my message yesterday that your claim was paid in full?

Steve Dasseos

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2024 at 1:11 PM, SimplyAlbert said:

Final update:  Received our reimbursement check over the weekend.

how long did it take you to get the check from initially filing a claim?

I am planning to purchase travel insurance for my elderly mom, Steve recommend IMG. Now I am very nervous about it. On squaremouth, Tinleg seems to have a higher rating which IMG was a bit lower among the choices. Does anyone has experience with Tinleg. My Trip cost is minimal for the hotels are refundable and airfares are award tickets, which is zero cost according to insurance and anything that is refundable before departure is not covered.

My major concern is medical and since she is old, every senior does have pre existing condition, diabetic, high cholesterol and ect.

9 minutes ago, naiwenzh said:

I am planning to purchase travel insurance for my elderly mom, Steve recommend IMG. Now I am very nervous about it. On squaremouth, Tinleg seems to have a higher rating which IMG was a bit lower among the choices. Does anyone has experience with Tinleg. My Trip cost is minimal for the hotels are refundable and airfares are award tickets, which is zero cost according to insurance and anything that is refundable before departure is not covered.

My major concern is medical and since she is old, every senior does have pre existing condition, diabetic, high cholesterol and ect.

I would discuss any concerns with Steve, at TIS.

Ask him about what you are worried about (medical costs?  documenting losses? or?).

My guess is that with good insurance companies, IF you have a loss that IS covered (not something excluded, in the fine print or main print) AND you have documentation, there's not going to be a serious problem with claims.

We've had some large claims and NEVER had a problem.  (Okay, I've mentioned somewhere about the <$10 for taxi tips when I didn't have any receipt.  Maybe I could have argued?  For <$10, it just wasn't worth fretting about!)

ALL other claims were paid in approximately 2 weeks after we submitted the forms.

(That is, a few times, we didn't submit the forms right away, because we were dealing with "what happened".  That delay is obviously "on us"!  And once, as described, we had trouble getting appropriate wording from a foreign physician, so I didn't submit the claim until we had a letter that properly described the situation.  That's not any problem with the insurer.)

Most of the complaints here (obviously not all) are because either the basis for the claim wasn't covered (READ *all* of the Terms & Conditions, and this is where Steve, or any broker, would be able to discuss your concerns about what is/isn't covered) or there was a problem with the documentation,

What I tend to see with the latter issue is that travelers object to letting the insurer look at medical records.  Sometimes they invoke HIPAA.  HIPAA does NOT apply here (it's for health provider types) plus the insurance application included a statement about providing records if needed.  (Those could also be proof of purchase of something claimed, such as an excursion.)

The insurer has a right to do their best to check that there's no fraud, after all.

Paying claims without full receipts/documentation?  That's asking for fraud from at least some people! 😡

About your last concern, pre-existing conditions... obviously you haven't been either discussing this with the broker/agent or you haven't been reading all the terms and conditions.

Some policies do NOT exclude pre-existing conditions, full stop.

And for many others, "pre-existing condition" for travel insurance can be VERY different from what we typically consider it to be in "regular life".

Having high blood pressure or taking meds for that (or similar ailments) is NOT automatically an "excluded condition".

GC

On 3/23/2024 at 6:44 PM, naiwenzh said:

Almost three months.