Ambience taken out of service

peajay

On 12/9/2023 at 8:36 AM, Alastair Cruise said:

As one of the Ambition dispossessed as of next Monday, I was stunned to get the email on Thursday, sent from a cowardly "no reply" mail address. My Xmas, "big" birthday" and New Year plans in tatters - no flying, Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam on Tuesday, sunshine, two calls at the Grenadines and my birthday on Curaco to name but a few. Only a week before, Ambassador sold me an upgrade to a Junior Suite at a favourable price.

They say that they have put together a "comprehensive and generous package" to compensate. No they have not. There are five options involving signing up to future specified and non-specified cruises going through to March 2025. All but one are difficult to quantify because of fluid pricing. Taking the last of these however, (Option 5) - an additional 25% price credit on any future cruise not specified under the four other options- should be expected to set some sort of benchmark relating to full refunds. (Option 6) No it doesn't. Obviously the 25% just comes off their profit margin for the chosen re-booking. Smoke and mirrors compensation.

As I don't want to have anything to do with this company ever again, I want my money back. Yes I can have this "within the next 14 days", but no "comprehensive and generous" compensation is mentioned if I choose this under Option 6. This is obviously unacceptable to me as, using Option 5 as the benchmark, I should receive over £1,500 compensation. In addition, I have incurred over £600 in costs relating to this cruise including travel insurance which should be repaid i.e put in the same position financially as if I had not booked the "cruise of a lifetime" eleven months ago.

One of the most heartbreaking things for me was buying some Dollars and Euros on Wednesday, only to have to sell them back on Friday (at a loss of £41). The lady in the Post Office couldn't believe it.

I had a call from my online travel agent  yesterday (Friday) to see if I had heard the news. Sadly I have to say that apart from a mild indication of regret, they didn't seem really bothered. Indeed, she suggested that it could take me longer than the 14 days to get my money back as it had to go to them first. I had to remind them, politely, that I felt they seemed to be acting for Ambassador rather than myself.

Whilst I'm pleased for the "over 6,600" people switched to "our ship", Ambassador Cruises seem to think they can just walk (or sail) away from 800 for "operational reasons".

Agree on all counts.  There is no protection for paid up passengers. Our cruise was stolen when our ship was sound, allegedly.

patronising to suggest we might be disappointed!.  Will not trust them ever.  Their staff and entertainment were the best.  Never again. What’s cheap is dear.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:03 PM, Pasty feet said:

Thank you very much. I can’t fly and we’re hoping for somewhere warm really. We are pretty depressed tonight, but will perk up when we receive our money back I’m sure ha ha. Best wishes

If still available on the FB P&O resale.

Was 8hrs ago

Iona Med 30 Dec 14n balcony good price, £900pp.

Tempted ourselves but P&O not one of our go to's

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ladyascot said:

Agree on all counts.  There is no protection for paid up passengers. Our cruise was stolen when our ship was sound, allegedly.

patronising to suggest we might be disappointed!.  Will not trust them ever.  Their staff and entertainment were the best.  Never again. What’s cheap is dear.  

6 minutes ago, Albertina59 said:

Agreed. Did Iona to Norway in June. Far too big. Thanks anyway though. 

6 hours ago, ladyascot said:

Will be extremely relieved when our refund arrives and yes never ever again. 

• Like 1

I have written to the chief operational officer. Emailed on Tuesday and posted recorded delivery on Wednesday. Sent an invoice for my contingent costs i.e costs incurred as a result of booking the cruise which I would not otherwise have incurred. Over £800 including interest. I will expect this to be paid otherwise I’ll go to court. They decided to dispossess us of a fully functioning ship so they have to pay for the consequences. It was not force majure. It was a deliberate decision that 800 people would be easier to subdue rather than 6,600. Also told them that it doesn’t take 14 days to pay refunds 1 person 1 day and a lot of cheques. I seek  proper “substantial and generous” compensation  to use their expression. Simply I had a contact, they broke it, I am entitled to damages. 

Has anyone else realised that 14 working days from the date of the bombshell email is 3rd January?

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 8:22 PM, insidecabin said:

They have put bookings on hold(everything waitlist) while it washes out.

keep an eye as I think it may open again if not enough take up the offer.

I for one will not be moving across to another cruise after they cancelled my Christmas and New Year

3 hours ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

No doubt they chose what they calculated to be the cheapest cost to them. I hope it doesn't bring them down.

I'm booked on the Jan 2025 Caribbean cruise.

Cost will be a major factor but there will be others.

They say this is effectively cancellation for 800 and they have moved 6000+.

A much simpler administration activity to deal with 800 bookings that are all the same cruise rather than 6k+ over multiple cruises.

Some of the 800 will be repeat Ambassador cruisers so have some level investment in the product as a good fit.

The fairly generous switch options will retain some of those.

The never again less incentive to compensate so not so generous with the offer, min they think they can get away with.

Many of other trips were the short tasters,  events and the Xmas/NY  many will be new to Ambassador and potentially new to cruising trying it out.

The cruise industry is very dependent on capturing new customers to maintain growth, they spend a lot of money on marketing to that demographic pre covid this was 30% of the passengers each year.

Risk 800 or 6k+ for future business.

• Like 1

AMBASSADOR AUTO SAYS:

"We are currently receiving an extremely high number emails, with our response time often exceeding 7 working days. Due to this, we are prioritising emails from guests who are travelling within the next 4 weeks.

If you are travelling after this time, please allow up to 14 working days for a response to your email."

That's nice isn't it!

I hope that very soon I will not need to 'bother' Ambassador ever again. Until that time, I will continue looking for an alternative company that provides 'no fly' cruises, whilst I 'bother' them for the return of my money.

22 hours ago, Albertina59 said:

My email claiming additional losses received an automated reply.  Signs are not brilliant, however it is fairly early days. 

I think they may have taken a bit of time to go public while working out what they wanted to do.

They have 14 days to process those that want the refund, no doubt they will use Xmas as the excuse if payments don't make it.

On 12/15/2023 at 4:39 AM, PurpleMoonlight said:

No doubt they chose what they calculated to be the cheapest cost to them. I hope it doesn't bring them down.

I'm booked on the Jan 2025 Caribbean cruise.

19 hours ago, Albertina59 said:

Their fate will be their own fault. 

They let us down so badly when they knew the Ambience had issues earlier in the year. More notice could have saved the day. I spent 4 days ringing P & O, Saga and Cunard all to no avail. I am not sympathetic to them, just want my refund. 

49 minutes ago, Albertina59 said:

They let us down so badly when they knew the Ambience had issues earlier in the year. More notice could have saved the day. I spent 4 days ringing P & O, Saga and Cunard all to no avail. I am not sympathetic to them, just want my refund. 

I’ve probably said this elsewhere, but on the Wednesday I bought dollars and euros so I had some cash when we went ashore. Cancellation email on the Thursday. Sold currency back at a £42 loss on the Friday!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

Has Ambassador confirmed what the compensation is and if they will cover consequential losses?

Contract cannot override package regulations.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2018/9780111168479/contents

Part 4 is the most relevant to non conformance, worth a  read of everything.

ABTA complaint is also worth considering as they have probably a few breaches of the code of conduct.

Edited by insidecabin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

Has Ambassador confirmed what the compensation is and if they will cover consequential losses?

This hasn’t been mentioned specifically, but people have made losses like travel to Tilbury arrangements, insurance and currency exchange in advance of their holiday. Plus in my case I also mentioned disappointment and stress. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

Has Ambassador confirmed what the compensation is and if they will cover 

1 hour ago, Alastair Cruise said:

Thanks for this, it reaffirms my understanding. Not sure why they need until the 4th Jan to do this though. My beef is contingent costs and compensation. That’s where the real fight is going to be. 

Yes I was told that also re the booking money. Some people are facing heavy consequential losses and I hope they will fight for it. 

• Like 1