Ambience taken out of service

peajay

We are booked on a 5 night Christmas market cruise departing Tilbury on 10 December. We received an email today explaining Ambience is out of service for repairs. Our cruise has changed to a 4 day cruise departing 11 December and will now be on Ambition. Unfortunately this means that the 38 day cruise on Ambition planned to depart on 12 December has been cancelled. A little disappointing for us, but I feel sorry for those that have lost their Christmas and New Year cruise. 

• Like 2

The interesting part of the redeployment notice  was

"It is because of this delay that we have taken the difficult decision to switch Ambition and Ambience’s itineraries over the next month. With over 6,600 guests due to be on board Ambience in December and 800 booked on Ambition"

That's why the 38day Ambition was available at £1,900pp well under the 1200 capacity.

These long cruises often go for good rates.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The interesting part of the redeployment notice  was

"It is because of this delay that we have taken the difficult decision to switch Ambition and Ambience’s itineraries over the next month. With over 6,600 guests due to be on board Ambience in December and 800 booked on Ambition"

That's why the 38day Ambition was available at £1,900pp well under the 1200 capacity.

These long cruises often go for good rates.

We have taken advantage of late deals for longer cruises and were planning on going on the 42 night cruise to Brazil and Caribbean but was waiting until I get the all clear from my consultant next wed after an op, however with Ambience going sick I think a few passengers bumped off the 38 night cruise will move across and take up the last few cabins available. The Brazil cruise basic price was less than £50 pppn so a real bargain for us poor pensioners. You win some you lose some, I feel sorry for those who have lost their cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have taken advantage of late deals for longer cruises and were planning on going on the 42 night cruise to Brazil and Caribbean but was waiting until I get the all clear from my consultant next wed after an op, however with Ambience going sick I think a few passengers bumped off the 38 night cruise will move across and take up the last few cabins available. The Brazil cruise basic price was less than £50 pppn so a real bargain for us poor pensioners. You win some you lose some, I feel sorry for those who have lost their cruise.

They have put bookings on hold(everything waitlist) while it washes out.

keep an eye as I think it may open again if not enough take up the offer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

They have put bookings on hold(everything waitlist) while it washes out.

keep an eye as I think it may open again if not enough take up the offer.

Yes I am watching, I have a call from a TA on Wed evening after I see my consultant, however I do expect the price to increase if there are any cabins left, keeping fingers crossed, I do have a plan B.

44 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yes I am watching, I have a call from a TA on Wed evening after I see my consultant, however I do expect the price to increase if there are any cabins left, keeping fingers crossed, I do have a plan B.

Hopefully the news is good.

Did think about the Brazil one but too long for a first Ambassador needs a test first.

If they only had 800 for the Xmas one I think this could be similar maybe less so down to uptake.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Hopefully the news is good.

Did think about the Brazil one but too long for a first Ambassador needs a test first.

If they only had 800 for the Xmas one I think this could be similar maybe less so down to uptake.

Thanks, we have cruise on Ambience twice and Ambition once plus we used to cruise with CMV before covid who were similar in most respects and have no problems with the longer cruise but you are probably wise to try them out. I did a few dummy bookings and there were usually around 48 cabins available, mostly insides with the suites and balconies sold out and guaranteed wait listed. I think people have got wise to booking early if they don't need a specific cabin and hang on, this is what we have done and got some great late bargains.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As one of the Ambition dispossessed as of next Monday, I was stunned to get the email on Thursday, sent from a cowardly "no reply" mail address. My Xmas, "big" birthday" and New Year plans in tatters - no flying, Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam on Tuesday, sunshine, two calls at the Grenadines and my birthday on Curaco to name but a few. Only a week before, Ambassador sold me an upgrade to a Junior Suite at a favourable price.

They say that they have put together a "comprehensive and generous package" to compensate. No they have not. There are five options involving signing up to future specified and non-specified cruises going through to March 2025. All but one are difficult to quantify because of fluid pricing. Taking the last of these however, (Option 5) - an additional 25% price credit on any future cruise not specified under the four other options- should be expected to set some sort of benchmark relating to full refunds. (Option 6) No it doesn't. Obviously the 25% just comes off their profit margin for the chosen re-booking. Smoke and mirrors compensation.

As I don't want to have anything to do with this company ever again, I want my money back. Yes I can have this "within the next 14 days", but no "comprehensive and generous" compensation is mentioned if I choose this under Option 6. This is obviously unacceptable to me as, using Option 5 as the benchmark, I should receive over £1,500 compensation. In addition, I have incurred over £600 in costs relating to this cruise including travel insurance which should be repaid i.e put in the same position financially as if I had not booked the "cruise of a lifetime" eleven months ago.

One of the most heartbreaking things for me was buying some Dollars and Euros on Wednesday, only to have to sell them back on Friday (at a loss of £41). The lady in the Post Office couldn't believe it.

I had a call from my online travel agent  yesterday (Friday) to see if I had heard the news. Sadly I have to say that apart from a mild indication of regret, they didn't seem really bothered. Indeed, she suggested that it could take me longer than the 14 days to get my money back as it had to go to them first. I had to remind them, politely, that I felt they seemed to be acting for Ambassador rather than myself.

Whilst I'm pleased for the "over 6,600" people switched to "our ship", Ambassador Cruises seem to think they can just walk (or sail) away from 800 for "operational reasons".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:13 PM, peajay said:

We are booked on a 5 night Christmas market cruise departing Tilbury on 10 December. We received an email today explaining Ambience is out of service for repairs. Our cruise has changed to a 4 day cruise departing 11 December and will now be on Ambition. Unfortunately this means that the 38 day cruise on Ambition planned to depart on 12 December has been cancelled. A little disappointing for us, but I feel sorry for those that have lost their Christmas and New Year cruise. 

Thanks for being kind. We are devastated and all our plans for Christmas and New Year are ruined. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

Thanks. Cold comfort, but something at least. 

For alternatives.

Not a  warm trip,  I saw Balmoral was doing northern lights at reasonable cost.

If you can fly look at last minute Marella as they are one stop shop with flights and AI on the ship.

Canaries, Caribbean and far east options.

Early Jan there is MSC Euribia 21n canaries from Southampton.

22 hours ago, amby fogerty said:

hi there, just found this and no you are not alone! There will be at least 6 of us now going on Ambition instead of  Ambience! Still awaiting new check in details and cabin info.

Yes our cruise was cancelled, we were due to travel to Tilbury today and board Ambition for the Caribbean tomorrow. We are utterly devastated as only received the news last Thursday. Trying to book something else so far with no luck. 

16 hours ago, Pasty feet said:

The  Ambition is sailing to the Canaries leaving 21st December. Meanwhile our  Christmas and New Year plans are ruined. I am beyond upset as we should have had priority in case it was of interest to us. 

There would have been a lot of displaced people wanting to switch.

We had looked at doing that they wanted £1,500pp cheapest inside.

On 12/9/2023 at 8:36 AM, Alastair Cruise said:

As one of the Ambition dispossessed as of next Monday, I was stunned to get the email on Thursday, sent from a cowardly "no reply" mail address. My Xmas, "big" birthday" and New Year plans in tatters - no flying, Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam on Tuesday, sunshine, two calls at the Grenadines and my birthday on Curaco to name but a few. Only a week before, Ambassador sold me an upgrade to a Junior Suite at a favourable price.

They say that they have put together a "comprehensive and generous package" to compensate. No they have not. There are five options involving signing up to future specified and non-specified cruises going through to March 2025. All but one are difficult to quantify because of fluid pricing. Taking the last of these however, (Option 5) - an additional 25% price credit on any future cruise not specified under the four other options- should be expected to set some sort of benchmark relating to full refunds. (Option 6) No it doesn't. Obviously the 25% just comes off their profit margin for the chosen re-booking. Smoke and mirrors compensation.

As I don't want to have anything to do with this company ever again, I want my money back. Yes I can have this "within the next 14 days", but no "comprehensive and generous" compensation is mentioned if I choose this under Option 6. This is obviously unacceptable to me as, using Option 5 as the benchmark, I should receive over £1,500 compensation. In addition, I have incurred over £600 in costs relating to this cruise including travel insurance which should be repaid i.e put in the same position financially as if I had not booked the "cruise of a lifetime" eleven months ago.

One of the most heartbreaking things for me was buying some Dollars and Euros on Wednesday, only to have to sell them back on Friday (at a loss of £41). The lady in the Post Office couldn't believe it.

I had a call from my online travel agent  yesterday (Friday) to see if I had heard the news. Sadly I have to say that apart from a mild indication of regret, they didn't seem really bothered. Indeed, she suggested that it could take me longer than the 14 days to get my money back as it had to go to them first. I had to remind them, politely, that I felt they seemed to be acting for Ambassador rather than myself.

Whilst I'm pleased for the "over 6,600" people switched to "our ship", Ambassador Cruises seem to think they can just walk (or sail) away from 800 for "operational reasons".

Hello Alastair,

Let’s hope we get some satisfaction, fingers crossed. Good luck. 

• Like 2

I ought to start this post with full disclosure that I have had an issue with Ambassador since the company was formed – the same people who were in charge when CMV collapsed started a company in the same premises as CMV were based, using their databases, while at the same time owing millions.
I'm sure they acted within the law and many other companies have gone bust and restarted with exactly the same kind of operation in the same way as Mr Verhouning has in the case .
After that full disclosure, I have to say that I would not book a cruise on Ambience under any circumstances.
The Christmas 2022 cruises were cancelled due to technical issues. There was another issue during the summer this year I believe with its moorings and now the ship is in for yet another extended dry dock with major repairs to propeller shafts. While it might make business sense for Ambition to take over the Ambience cruises, ask yourself how you would feel if you were one of those affected – as per the postings here.
Ambassador have developed a good reputation for very friendly staff and I understand, fairly reasonable food, but the issue is that Ambience is such an old ship.
32 years into its life it is likely to have many more mechanical issues and doubtless more cruises will be cancelled in the future.
The ship was on its way to the scrapyard, metaphorically, if not literally, when Ambassador bought it, and whilst they have praised themselves for the new fuel and environmentally friendly system they have installed the ship is still on its last legs.
With further disclosure, I would say that I had a very enjoyable cruise with CMV on Astoria, but I will be giving a very wide berth to anything Ambassador do in the future.
Yes, even new ships can break down, but let's be honest there's far more chance of it happening again to Ambience than some of the brand spanking new ships and the price difference between Ambassador and other lines does not justify the risk.
Others may/will disagree which is fine!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 5:59 PM, PrincessPete said:

The Christmas 2022 cruises were cancelled due to technical issues. There was another issue during the summer this year I believe with its moorings and now the ship is in for yet another extended dry dock with major repairs to propeller shafts. While it might make business sense for Ambition to take over the Ambience cruises, ask yourself how you would feel if you were one of those affected – as per the postings here.

Christmas 2022 was due to issues with lifeboats that meant she failed her Passenger Ship Safety Certificate renewal.

I had a vague recollection of something prior to that so did some digging around online.  Turns out in May 2022 she was detained by the MCA at Tilbury with 22 deficiencies and two were grounds for detention (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-flagged-ships-detained-in-the-uk-during-may-2022-under-paris-mou).

It seems like every time there is a mandatory inspection she needs to maintain her ceritification something crops up.

If you go on the Lloyds Register site (https://www.lr.org/en/about-us/who-we-are/lr-ships-in-class/) and put in the details 8521232 or  AMBIENCE in the search boxes you can see her certification status.

From what I can make out, she has an overdue survey for "Exhaust Gs Economiser" from November 2023 and another 8 surveys that need to be completed by 10th Janaury 2024.  So I guess one of these surveys threw up this latest problem, but there could have been others that Ambasssador have chosen not to publicise.  According to the notes section she has four outstanding actions that were meant to be done in January related to deck plating, tanktop, her port anchor and forward mooring station.

You can do a forward look and see what over surveys she has coming up and there are so many! 

On 12/11/2023 at 5:59 PM, PrincessPete said:

Yes, even new ships can break down, but let's be honest there's far more chance of it happening again to Ambience

Sadly I would agree, and also expect her to have more issues at some of these later surveys.

• Like 1

I think would have taken the Brazil option but for our fear that Ambition would once again be ‘grabbed’ to take the place of Ambience and there’s only so much last minute disappointment anyone can stand. We have recovered from last week’s nasty shock and really regret that we couldn’t undertake our much anticipated  lovely Caribbean cruise. The aspect which upsets us most is lack of notice in time to get something else for the festive season, surely it seems the problem with Ambience has been brewing for quite a while. We have sailed on both Arvia and Iona earlier this year, both lovely new ships which had their own drawbacks in our opinion, ie huge passenger numbers. We would have forgiven Ambition for being not so smart and shiny but oh so much more fun. What a total shame for us all. 

• Like 1