So upset with Oceania

pmatawan

8 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Not that we’re going too use this service but I’m curious. If they don’t allow AirTags so customer could see their luggage location how would they track the shipment themselves to speed up the process in case something goes wrong. Or they just don’t care and have no responsibilities when the luggage delayed by the carrier.

I have not used their service personally (in part due to the tag restriction), but my understanding is that they use major shippers such as UPS / FedEx for the actual transport. Those companies track by use of bar codes and scanning at multiple points on the journey.

No different than either of us tracking a parcel on it's way to us from a vendor. Works fine until it doesn't!  🍺🥌

11 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Not that we’re going too use this service but I’m curious. If they don’t allow AirTags so customer could see their luggage location how would they track the shipment themselves to speed up the process in case something goes wrong. Or they just don’t care and have no responsibilities when the luggage delayed by the carrier.

They use UPS or FedEx to transport the luggage. The shipping label has a tracking number. They also provide status updates on their website.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I have not used their service personally (in part due to the tag restriction), but my understanding is that they use major shippers such as UPS / FedEx for the actual transport. Those companies track by use of bar codes and scanning at multiple points on the journey.

No different than either of us tracking a parcel on it's way to us from a vendor. Works fine until it doesn't!  🍺🥌

That’s true but we all know that sometimes UPS / FedEx loose the shipments too and have a little idea of it’s whereabouts. So AirTags would be very helpful on that occasions. That’s why I find it strange that they are prohibited. And then the next question - who’s responsible if your luggage isn’t arriving on time for the cruise?

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

The OP is talking about Mumbai, I am the only one on this thread I think that has talked about Brazil

My comment would also apply to Mumbai- I just didn’t do the research to post a link.

On 8/13/2024 at 10:47 PM, Jancruz said:
On 12/13/2023 at 9:49 AM, Snaefell3 said:

We'll let any lawyers opine on force majeure, but we blamed Monterey not Oceania.

"blame"????? Give me a break. More and more ports are heading in this direction.

On 8/13/2024 at 10:41 PM, Jancruz said:

Bags dont have to be lost any more..I just throw in a disc that tracks the bags on your phone and have no problem as I always know where the bags are....

Jancruz1

My husband traveled up to 85% of the time on business and together we've visited six continents. Not ONCE have we lost a bag. NOT ONCE.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

I'm using LugageForward for my Grand Voyage in December/January. I got an email from them on Monday confirming that they will deliver my bags to the ship in Miami and ship them back from Rio. very few details about anything, butg at least I have confirmation from them.

Sounds like we will be on the same Grand Voyage.   I also got that email from them and one from Luggage forward.   However, when I called to confirm, Luggage Forward told me they only have requests from Oceania for one direction.   They did not have the Rio to my home request.   My TA has been in touch with Oceania and has gotten 2 different answers.   At this point I am NOT planning to use the luggage service in either direction.  But I will be pursuing compensation for enduring this mess.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, susanrc said:

Sounds like we will be on the same Grand Voyage.   I also got that email from them and one from Luggage forward.   However, when I called to confirm, Luggage Forward told me they only have requests from Oceania for one direction.   They did not have the Rio to my home request.   My TA has been in touch with Oceania and has gotten 2 different answers.   At this point I am NOT planning to use the luggage service in either direction.  But I will be pursuing compensation for enduring this mess.

Thanks @susanrc. I just called to, and got the same answer you did. I had my TA check on this months ago, She had checked with Oceania and they told her they shipped back from Rio. I am really unhappy about this. Oceania has to know about this, just like they should know about Mumbai the original post on this thread. The woman I spoke toi at LF said she had worked there for 3 years, and beause of customs issues, they have neer shipped back from Brazil while she worked there, so this is not a new thing. Now I'm going to have to figure out what to leave behind when I pack.

12 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Thanks @susanrc. I just called to, and got the same answer you did. I had my TA check on this months ago, She had checked with Oceania and they told her they shipped back from Rio. I am really unhappy about this. Oceania has to know about this, just like they should know about Mumbai the original post on this thread. The woman I spoke toi at LF said she had worked there for 3 years, and beause of customs issues, they have neer shipped back from Brazil while she worked there, so this is not a new thing. Now I'm going to have to figure out what to leave behind when I pack.

I'm just a week ahead of you on my anger journey.   It's not as if luggage service in one direction has a great deal of value if you have to pack such that you can take everything with you on the plane to get it home.    And if I have to pack to match air plane restrictions, then I see no reason to trust the luggage service with my stuff to begin with.    

I suggest having your TA push for compensation.   Oceania is pulling a bait and switch here and they should compensate us.   I'm sure this mess was not intentional.   BUT it was certainly avoidable.   And the miscommunication is just insulting.   Oceania needs to show some good faith here.

11 hours ago, clo said:

My husband traveled up to 85% of the time on business and together we've visited six continents. Not ONCE have we lost a bag. NOT ONCE.

There's lost, and then there's "it didn't show up when it was supposed to". I've had luggage misdirected, but show up, I've had luggage not make it to my home airport, but then they brought it to my house the next day, more than once. But, I've never had a bag completely lost. 

So, if it was not at your airport, and you were getting on the ship that day, but they know where it's at, they just can't get it there until the next day, then it might as well be lost. We traveled with an unfortunate fellow on a TA that kept being told by the front desk that his luggage would be at the next port. It finally was, when the next port was Miami. He had on the same T shirt a lot. 

Just another reason to go in a day early on cruises. I've never had a delay mess me up, well on the way home but that's another thing, but I was on a cruise that left out of San Diego and my luggage was in Anchorage AK, they got it there the next day before we left, but I did have to go back to the airport as they couldn't get it delivered to my hotel in time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Just another reason to go in a day early on cruises.

Always. For all the practical reasons. Plus so many of our starts and finishes are places that we want to visit or revisit.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

There's lost, and then there's "it didn't show up when it was supposed to". I've had luggage misdirected, but show up, I've had luggage not make it to my home airport, but then they brought it to my house the next day, more than once. But, I've never had a bag completely lost. 

So, if it was not at your airport, and you were getting on the ship that day, but they know where it's at, they just can't get it there until the next day, then it might as well be lost. We traveled with an unfortunate fellow on a TA that kept being told by the front desk that his luggage would be at the next port. It finally was, when the next port was Miami. He had on the same T shirt a lot. 

Just another reason to go in a day early on cruises. I've never had a delay mess me up, well on the way home but that's another thing, but I was on a cruise that left out of San Diego and my luggage was in Anchorage AK, they got it there the next day before we left, but I did have to go back to the airport as they couldn't get it delivered to my hotel in time. 

IMO, a day earlier (than embark) arrival is not enough of a potential problem buffer for intercontinental air with a connection.

The two looming challenges remain misplaced checked luggage and missed connections/delayed arrival.

With that in mind, our mantra is “minimum of two days arrival at embark port and no less than 3.5 hour layovers at major hubs for our preferred airline consortium (United and Star Alliance whenever possible.”

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, a day earlier (than embark) arrival is not enough of a potential problem buffer for intercontinental air with a connection.

The two looming challenges remain misplaced checked luggage and missed connections/delayed arrival.

With that in mind, our mantra is “minimum of two days arrival at embark port and no less than 3.5 hour layovers at major hubs for our preferred airline consortium (United and Star Alliance whenever possible.”

It was United that sent my bag to Anchorage, and only the 3rd time I've ever flown on them as they generally don't go in the right direction for connections from my home airport, until recently, now they have daily flights to IAH, they didn't then. In all fairness the guy checking in my bag was new and there was another person with my last name, (common) he was going to Anchorage. I'm sure he was as unhappy as I was when he got there. 

Usually fly Delta or AA and never had that problem. On the way home yes, missed connections delayed & cancelled flights, yes. For the most part we've been lucky, but we've spent plenty of nights at airport hotels that we'd rather not. I guess part of the equation if you travel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

United and Star Alliance whenever possible.”

With you on all of this. And especially the UA Star Alliance family.

Back to the Luggage Forward problem, finally got an answer back from Oceania via my TA, doesn't really answer all the questions.

Please be advised that for LUGGAGE FORWARD, all turn ports can be shipped to with the exception of the following ports listed below; 

Ports Where Service is Currently Unavailable

Country

Port

Argentina

Buenos Aires

Argentina

Ushuaia

Brazil

Rio de Janeiro

Colombia

Cartagena (Colombia)

Dominican Republic

La Romana

India

Mumbai

Indonesia

Benoa (Bali)

Malaysia

Port Klang

Peru

Callao

Taiwan

Keelung

Taiwan

Kaohsiung

On the Luggage Forward website, www.luggageforward.com it does state (if any of the above listed restricted ports are selected) that it is a destination with restricted service so it won’t allow you to book the service online.

So sorry. Wish I had better news 

Sent something back to my TA and asked about sending luggage back from Busios which is the port before Rio. I have a feeling that it is all Brazil, but figured I'd ask. I'm also not asking  about a destination of Rio, but pickup from Rio. 

On 8/13/2024 at 6:47 PM, pmatawan said:

Fyi, O offered only $250.pp and refused any additional compensation. The good news is they did get our luggage home from Tokyo.

It looks like this is going to get unpleasant.   At least on my end.   This morning I got my second email from Oceania and Luggage Forward promoting this perk they cannot deliver.   My husband has received the identical emails.    To add insult to injury, my travel agent calls me to let me know that her general manager has been working on the issue of compensation with Oceania.   Oceania is offering us $100/person in OBC.   And the TA says there is nothing further that can be done.   We'll see.   I own a telephone and have plenty of time to call Oceania customer service.   I also have multiple friends and relatives that are lawyers.   I'm willing to allow that they cannot provide the service.   But they are able to control their persistent false email communications.   And they should be able to ensure that they compensate their customer fairly and equally.  

Luggage Forward Email.png

They still can provide the luggage forward service for your embarkation but not for disembarkation, is that correct?  That could be why they are continuing to send you communication concerning luggage forward....I am sorry that this has become such a huge issue for you to ruin your cruise

26 minutes ago, susanrc said:

It looks like this is going to get unpleasant.   At least on my end.   This morning I got my second email from Oceania and Luggage Forward promoting this perk they cannot deliver.   My husband has received the identical emails.    To add insult to injury, my travel agent calls me to let me know that her general manager has been working on the issue of compensation with Oceania.   Oceania is offering us $100/person in OBC.   And the TA says there is nothing further that can be done.   We'll see.   I own a telephone and have plenty of time to call Oceania customer service.   I also have multiple friends and relatives that are lawyers.   I'm willing to allow that they cannot provide the service.   But they are able to control their persistent false email communications.   And they should be able to ensure that they compensate their customer fairly and equally.  

Luggage Forward Email.png

Oceania should  be ashamed of their policies and poor communication on this issue. They have some bean counters at headquarters in Miami,  customer relations/ communications are a weakpoint.

1 minute ago, basor said:

They still can provide the luggage forward service for your embarkation but not for disembarkation, is that correct?  That could be why they are continuing to send you communication concerning luggage forward....I am sorry that this has become such a huge issue for you to ruin your cruise

That is the word I am getting. Still working on that, got another email today promising what they can't deliver

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, pmatawan said:

Oceania should  be ashamed of their policies and poor communication on this issue. They have some bean counters at headquarters in Miami,  customer relations/ communications are a weakpoint.

I think it is Luggage forward that can't deliver, but Oceania needs to stop making it sound like they will deliver and pick up from every port

Edited by Cruising Maryland

1 minute ago, Cruising Maryland said:

That is the word I am getting. Still working on that, got another email today promising what they can't deliver

They can't provide luggage forward to Miami either?

1 minute ago, basor said:

As if it isn't bad enough that we were sold something they cannot provide, to then continue to get communications touting the how lucky I am to get this wonderful perk is just insulting..

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, basor said:

They will take the luggage to Miami, But for me, they won't pick it back  up in Rio

Please be advised that for LUGGAGE FORWARD, all turn ports can be shipped to with the exception of the following ports listed below; 

Ports Where Service is Currently Unavailable

Country

Port

Argentina

Buenos Aires

Argentina

Ushuaia

Brazil

Rio de Janeiro

Colombia

Cartagena (Colombia)

Dominican Republic

La Romana

India

Mumbai

Indonesia

Benoa (Bali)

Malaysia

Port Klang

Peru

Callao

Taiwan

Keelung

Taiwan

Kaohsiung

On the Luggage Forward website, www.luggageforward.com it does state (if any of the above listed restricted ports are selected) that it is a destination with restricted service so it won’t allow you to book the service online.

So sorry. Wish I had better news 

Warm Regards,

Oceania Cruises

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

thumbnail?appid=AolMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=3

Edited by Cruising Maryland

3 minutes ago, basor said:

I could get service to Miami.   But not home from Brazil.   Given this means that I need to make sure that whatever luggage I have will be accepted by an airline, this service in only one direction loses it's value.

2 minutes ago, susanrc said:

I could get service to Miami.   But not home from Brazil.   Given this means that I need to make sure that whatever luggage I have will be accepted by an airline, this service in only one direction loses it's value.

Thank you for clarifying - I believe you have at least 2 free bags weighing 50 lbs each when traveling internationally, even in economy, so hopefully that helps with packing for your flight back from Brazil.