'Twas Two Weeks Before Christmas - Live from the Nieuw Statendam, Dec. 10 - 17, 2023

POA1

7 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

What does the Rare sticker mean?

When one is awarded a badge like your gingerbread person or the ship Rare will appear if the badge has only been awarded to a small % of the members. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@POA1  The AC750 Travel Router arrived this morning and to be honest it took longer to remove it from the packing than it took to connect the new travel router and my tablet to our home network through wifi. 

Next step will be to try it in a hotel or similar before heading out to sea again!

Thanks for the guidance, Brian.

• Like 2

What an AWESOME live from (as if something else could come from the bubble/show globe of awesomeness) - thank you! December was crazy here and I'm just getting back to checking into CC... so, I'm a little late to your party - but what a party it was! We will be on an A(B-dropped)C Southern Caribbean sailing on the Rotterdam in February and I'll do a trip report when we are back home as I have done before with our previous Princess and Norwegian cruises (it is my version of post-cruise therapy). Let me know if there is any pre-research you need compiled before your March sailing. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

This post has more to do with our next "Live From" thread than this one, but we've been watching and waiting to see if a Morimoto Pop Up was going to burst forth into our Spring Rotterdam cruise. There was one night, April 3 - Kralendyk, Bonaire - that had no reservation availability in Tamarind. I had that pegged as the most likely night.

We reviewed our itinerary last night, because that's what constitutes Friday night fun nowadays, and there was nothing to reserve. Today, we were looking at our itinerary, trying to figure out where to stick our Pinnacle Grill lunches, and lo and behold, Morimoto popped!

So, we're booked at 7:00 PM. The cost is $55.00 + 18% svc, or $64.90/pp.

I was able to trick the web version of the Navigator app into giving up the menu. The Android phone & tablet apps are still mum on the subject. (Just another check mark in the Yes column under, "Can I live without the app?")

There are two line break typos under the sides, but otherwise the menu looks good. (To us, anyway.) Here you go - in both HQ PNG images (once you click on them) and PDF flavors.

morimoto-by-sea(1)_00000_updated.thumb.png.7f2ec62919872d30514f436ce4524ed7.png

See the typos under the Sides section?

morimoto-by-sea(1)_00001_updated.thumb.png.4c1badf26cb7197421f32724267ee525.png

morimoto-by-sea.pdf

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I wonder how they will get “fresh” Pacific yellow tail while they’re sailing in the Caribbean?

The spacing on the sides is disappointing.

I am glad that there are no upcharges and apparently you can order more than 1 app without an extra charge.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I wonder how they will get “fresh” Pacific yellow tail while they’re sailing in the Caribbean?

Apparently "fresh" no longer implies never frozen. 😒

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 6:14 AM, POA1 said:

Because someone is bound to ask, and because it's definitely a science thing, here is the internet speed test from the Google machine

Ookla is giving wildly higher numbers. Speeds have been fine on Starlink

Screenshot_20231211-060510.png

I haven't set up my laptop. I'll do that in an hour or so once the AM coffee comes from room service. Then, I can deploy PoohbyNet so all our computing machinery can connect. (It's a TPLink router.)

I hope that you'll forgive my not going through all 27 pages of the post ;)

However, I'm wondering if the slow speed was due to being in port; and/or if it got any better?

Or is being in port a a bad assumption, saw the Miami server.

Seems a little slow for Starlink, I would have thought.

Thanks!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gl3nnG4ry said:

I hope that you'll forgive my not going through all 27 pages of the post 😉

However, I'm wondering if the slow speed was due to being in port; and/or if it got any better?

Or is being in port a a bad assumption, saw the Miami server.

Seems a little slow for Starlink, I would have thought.

Thanks!

I was just making the point that the two different tests showed different speeds. That stayed the same throughout the cruise.

The speeds were quite sufficient. Remember: Even though it's Starlink, it's a shared connection.

The Miami server is because that's closest to where Carnival Corp has its servers. It's the terrestrial hopping off point. (I assume that you'd see different test locations in markets other than the Caribbean.)

When we were in port, I hopped on whomever T-Mobile's partner was. This test was made at sea.

I've been using internet at sea for over 20 years. This latest incarnation is far faster and better than anything in the past.

Edited by POA1
Corrected whoever to whomever, because I still care about the language.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I was just making the point that the two different tests showed different speeds. That stayed the same throughout the cruise.

The speeds were quite sufficient. Remember: Even though it's Starlink, it's a shared connection.

The Miami server is because that's closest to where Carnival Corp has its servers. It's the terrestrial hopping off point. (I assume that you'd see different test locations in markets other than the Caribbean.)

When we were in port, I hopped on whomever T-Mobile's partner was. This test was made at sea.

I've been using internet at sea for over 20 years. This latest incarnation is far faster and better than anything in the past.

Thank you. Appreciate the response. 

Wife is wanting to do some extra sailings, which would mean that I'd end up working on the ship (which I don't mind and have done before ;).

I've worked from home with lesser speeds, but of course prefer closer to broadband speeds ;p 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gl3nnG4ry said:

Thank you. Appreciate the response. 

Wife is wanting to do some extra sailings, which would mean that I'd end up working on the ship (which I don't mind and have done before ;).

I've worked from home with lesser speeds, but of course prefer closer to broadband speeds 😜

Normal work won't be a problem. However, if you need 32 person Zoom or Teams meetings to function, it might be a little laggy. As with any wireless connection, your proximity to the access point will matter, as will any physical barriers like walls.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, POA1 said:

Normal work won't be a problem. However, if you need 32 person Zoom or Teams meetings to function, it might be a little laggy. As with any wireless connection, your proximity to the access point will matter, as will any physical barriers like walls.

Thankfully not normally on such large calls ;) 

Yeah, I suppose if I have an issue in the room, I can setup in the computer room.

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gl3nnG4ry said:

Thankfully not normally on such large calls 😉

Yeah, I suppose if I have an issue in the room, I can setup in the computer room.

Thanks again 🙂

If you have a site survey program or app, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how close your are to an AP and where the best place to set up in your room is.  I've found it's either closer to the door or the window in most cases. If I get lucky, the signal is strong by the desk.

I use WiFiMan for Android on my phone, but there are apps and programs for most platforms.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.usurvey&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

• Like 2

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

If you have a site survey program or app, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how close your are to an AP and where the best place to set up in your room is.  I've found it's either closer to the door or the window in most cases. If I get lucky, the signal is strong by the desk.

I use WiFiMan for Android on my phone, but there are apps and programs for most platforms.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.usurvey&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

Awesomeness!

Thanks for the link as well. 

• Like 2