Missed Day Credit Promised

Pizzasteve

Hi.

We were on an MSC cruise recently that was delayed by one day.  MSC in their email promised an automatic credit for the day/night missed (we also lost the chance to visit one of our favorite ports).  The cruise was a total cost of over $3000 for 13 nights and we received an $8.65 credit x 2.

Anyone know how this promised credit was calculated?  by my math $3000/13 is $200-300, not $17.30.  I called (several times) and was promised a call back (never happened) then wax told by the phone reps that they could not help, but that we need to email ta special email address. Our email has as yet received no reply (about a week).

Anyone else had similar experiences?  MSC also didnt provide any help with hotels or other expenses while waiting at departue for an extra day, which I thought EU law requires for delays (though a 100-300 pp credit onboard was offered, depending on stateroom for the missed port).  Anyway, we are puzzled because service was good prior to the cruise sailing but now that its done and the money collected it seems we dont exist anymore, nor the promised credit.

Edited by Pizzasteve

It sounds like you have only received the port tax refunded.  If I was in your position I would wait a couple more weeks before following up with the email.  I would guess the customer service agents don't have a record of the compensation offer, so you have to explain it from the beginning each time?   There is probably one person "in Italy" dealing with it, and they take their time.

EU rules for delayed or cancelled cruises do not apply in cases of extraordinary circumstances - e.g. weather, strikes etc.

• Like 1

Good luck... When we missed Ocean Caye in 2019,due to opening delays, we were promised a future cruise credit which was   based on a % of our fare. Since we cruised Yacht Club.... I expected a nice credit. Of course we never saw it.... 3 or 4 emails to MSC and still got runaround. Finally a Rep said...we will calculate based on your next booking. I told them..no thanks as I book thru online agencies and just wanted a email with the amount so I could apply to the future cruise...never got a response and gave up.

9 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

...never got a response and gave up.

During the last 12 years I missed a lot of ports with MSC, in Europe, in Africa and in Asia 😄

I never got any credit or anything else but "sorry". But if a whole day is getting cut off at the beginning or end of the cruise, a compensation should be paid. At least if it was a booking under EU law. 

It wasn't just a missed port of call I understand, but a shortened cruise. If so, than I agree they should compensate the whole day/night, not just the port tax. In Europe that is even the law, but I don't know about the US-law.

On 12/14/2023 at 6:39 PM, lcpagejr said:

Good luck... When we missed Ocean Caye in 2019,due to opening delays, we were promised a future cruise credit which was   based on a % of our fare. Since we cruised Yacht Club.... I expected a nice credit. Of course we never saw it.... 3 or 4 emails to MSC and still got runaround. Finally a Rep said...we will calculate based on your next booking. I told them..no thanks as I book thru online agencies and just wanted a email with the amount so I could apply to the future cruise...never got a response and gave up.

I also missed Ocean Caye , same reason.  I did receive a future cruise credit and used it on a cruise on a future cruise.  It was a good credit like 25% of the cruise.  I was very happy.  Sorry that you never received yours.  

But to the OP, I would reach out to your TA.  I would not give up on getting your credit.

• 4 months later...

@heidikay just curious, happened to me as well in 2019 and had the same offer. Was it already in their system or on your account or did you have to show a previous booking number? How did you get it applied. Never got an email about it but remember a printed letter in the stateroom promising that.

Thanks in advance!