I had to disembark during a cruise

beckyboo1986

Hi,

I thought I would share some information as I recently needed to disembark after only two days of my cruise.

I joined MSC Euribia on Friday 17th November in Southampton. I was travelling myself and son aged 2. On Sunday I got a call from the paramedics saying my husband had been involved in a serious accident and was being transported by air ambulance to a Royal London (major trauma hospital). The worse call of my life.

I received this call at 1500 whilst docked in Hamburg. We were onboard as my little one had just had a nap. I straight away went to guest services to ask for assistance.

As you can imagine, I was quite emotional and I found the staff to be so kind and compassionate. Someone bought me some water and tried to keep an eye on my little one but sadly she had to go and do the safety drill. I managed to book a flight departing at 1900. I had to sign a document saying I was breaking the cruise. I wasn't given a copy of this and I didn't read it as I was in a bit of a state.

I was told someone would ask my state room attendant to assist me with packing. By the time he arrived, I had packed most of my items. I left quite a bit there as because we boarded in Southampton, I have a lot of extra items in/on the buggy. I also completely forgot to pack any of my toiletries. I left a travel cot mattress too as I simply didn't have the room.

I thought all my items would be bagged up and I could have them couriered to me or even go collect them when I had to return to collect my car from Southampton. Sadly that's not the case.

I called MSC and was told I needed to email in with a full itemised list of things I left. I explained the situation but I was told this was the process. I did this and explained there may be more items that I can't remember. I have since called and was told it was still being reviewed and I've also emailed and had no response. It has been nearly four weeks since I departed the ship and I still don't know what's happening with my items.

I have submitted an insurance claim for the costs involved with flying home and missing the cruise. I had to contact MSC to ask if they would consider offering a refund of the wifi/photo package which they refused. That's understandable from a business perspective.

I thought I would share in case anyone has to leave a cruise mid cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, beckyboo1986 said:

Hi,

I thought I would share some information as I recently needed to disembark after only two days of my cruise.

I joined MSC Euribia on Friday 17th November in Southampton. I was travelling myself and son aged 2. On Sunday I got a call from the paramedics saying my husband had been involved in a serious accident and was being transported by air ambulance to a Royal London (major trauma hospital). The worse call of my life.

I received this call at 1500 whilst docked in Hamburg. We were onboard as my little one had just had a nap. I straight away went to guest services to ask for assistance.

As you can imagine, I was quite emotional and I found the staff to be so kind and compassionate. Someone bought me some water and tried to keep an eye on my little one but sadly she had to go and do the safety drill. I managed to book a flight departing at 1900. I had to sign a document saying I was breaking the cruise. I wasn't given a copy of this and I didn't read it as I was in a bit of a state.

I was told someone would ask my state room attendant to assist me with packing. By the time he arrived, I had packed most of my items. I left quite a bit there as because we boarded in Southampton, I have a lot of extra items in/on the buggy. I also completely forgot to pack any of my toiletries. I left a travel cot mattress too as I simply didn't have the room.

I thought all my items would be bagged up and I could have them couriered to me or even go collect them when I had to return to collect my car from Southampton. Sadly that's not the case.

I called MSC and was told I needed to email in with a full itemised list of things I left. I explained the situation but I was told this was the process. I did this and explained there may be more items that I can't remember. I have since called and was told it was still being reviewed and I've also emailed and had no response. It has been nearly four weeks since I departed the ship and I still don't know what's happening with my items.

I have submitted an insurance claim for the costs involved with flying home and missing the cruise. I had to contact MSC to ask if they would consider offering a refund of the wifi/photo package which they refused. That's understandable from a business perspective.

I thought I would share in case anyone has to leave a cruise mid cruise.

I hope all is well. Prayers for you and your husband.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Again, I too, hope your husband has recovered. This sounded like an awful thing to happen.

if only I knew about this, when we were on the ship, I would have asked onboard (we were there 1-8 Dec.) 

As you said, they are really helpful onboard but less so when dealing with Customer services when off the ship. 
I wonder if anyone onboard now, could talk to customer services to investigate what happened to your stuff? 
They would know what they would have done with it and may even remember you. 
Just a thought and ‘putting out there’ for any helpful person sailing on Euribia now.