Gluten-free options on Majestic

charliedalrymple

We leave Sydney next Friday, December 22, on Majestic for a 14-day NZ cruise (wheeee!).

I am coeliac and am wondering about the range of gluten-free options on Majestic (or other Princess ships, which are probably similar). We have been on Princess several times before, and they are generally very good about helping me avoid gluten.  I also know that they can do bread in the dining room and gluten-free pizza crust in Alfredo's, but I'm wondering if someone who has sailed recently can talk about other gluten free options, including:

- "Real" hamburger and hot dog buns

- Croissants and other breakfast pastries

- Cake in the International Cafe (and other flour-based desserts in the MDR and buffet besides the ubiquitous orange/almond cake)

- Gluten-free soy sauce for sushi

For once, I'd love to have some viable gluten-free alternatives, instead of just avoiding things with gluten.  Any information would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, charliedalrymple said:

We leave Sydney next Friday, December 22, on Majestic for a 14-day NZ cruise (wheeee!).

I am coeliac and am wondering about the range of gluten-free options on Majestic (or other Princess ships, which are probably similar). We have been on Princess several times before, and they are generally very good about helping me avoid gluten.  I also know that they can do bread in the dining room and gluten-free pizza crust in Alfredo's, but I'm wondering if someone who has sailed recently can talk about other gluten free options, including:

- Cake in the International Cafe (and other flour-based desserts in the MDR and buffet besides the ubiquitous orange/almond cake)

For once, I'd love to have some viable gluten-free alternatives, instead of just avoiding things with gluten.  Any information would be appreciated!

Currently on Majestic,  I'll see what I can find out.

2 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

If you visit the IC, regularly, please talk to Patrick (Ireland), he helped many guests with gluten free requests while we were OB recently.

He’s the fella with the tall chef’s hat.  Lol  At the IC just about every day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

If you visit the IC, regularly, please talk to Patrick (Ireland), he helped many guests with gluten free requests while we were OB recently.

He’s the fella with the tall chef’s hat.  Lol  At the IC just about every day.

Sorry, it wasn’t the Magestic.

I need another cup of coffee.🥴

I would get to know the DR mgr in each area you frequent, like the Lido and the IC.  Of course the DRO and your head waiter in the MDR, so you can order the day before.  

• Like 1

Was on Ruby last year and will be on Regal next week.

Gluten free pizza crust was available at the on-deck pizza place also and very good imo (although you'll have to wait for them to cook your pizza ofc). International cafe had great gluten free options at breakfast time (bread and several different pastries as well as naturally gf things like yogurt and smoothies) but I don't remember seeing gf options at other hours which I remember thinking was odd. I did not enquire about hot dog/hamburger buns bc I honestly prefer mine without a bun now. I remember being pleased with the dining room desserts, although I mainly ate naturally gluten free things like creme brûlée which is my favorite dessert. If there's a specific dessert you're wanting tho I wouldn't be surprised if they can make it for the next night, I ordered ahead for the next night's dinner every night and they could pretty much make anything I wanted off the menu.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bethfelk said:

International cafe had great gluten free options at breakfast time (bread and several different pastries as well as naturally gf things like yogurt and smoothies) but I don't remember seeing gf options at other hours which I remember thinking was odd.

Thanks, Beth. That's very helpful and good to hear.  Yes, I do remember that we can order from the menu the night before, which is nice.

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, merrywood said:

Hi

Just wondering how you found the Majestic for Gluten Free and any tips? 

Thanks

Sue

Hi, Sue.  The following is from my "semi-live" blog from the cruise, which I'd urge you to read!  🙂

A quick note about gluten-free options on board, which several people have asked about.  (I am coeliac, so this matters to me.)

I have found them very limited in the buffet.  There is a gluten-free station at breakfast that features wheat toast, raisin bread and either pancakes or french toast.  It is the first station after one of the entrances, so many people take those items (probably not realising they are gluten-free).  As a result, it is often out of one or more items.

The gluten-free dessert options in the buffet are limited to two types of muffins and Jello.  Rather disappointing, although the chocolate chip ones are quite good.

There are no specifically gluten-free options in the International Cafe, although a couple of things are naturally gluten free (such as chocolate mousse).  Somebody mentioned at one point that one or more of the elaborate layer cakes were gluten-free, but that's not the case on our cruise.

They are very good about catering to coeliacs in the MDR and let me order from the next day's menu in advance. They seem to know what I've ordered even if we sit in a different dining room, so the system seems to work.  Unfortunately, the gluten-free bread in the MDR is basically just white toast, which is not terribly appealing.

Overall, I wouldn't rate the gluten-free options on Majestic very highly.

Thank you for your information which is priceless to a fellow coeliacs!

Being coeliac I've found over the years and travelling with serval different cruise ship companies it is the best and safest option to eat in MDR. 

I have also found nearly all the ships are sadly lacking GF snacks and cake but there are so many for "quote" normal passengers, but Coeliacs pay exactly the same fare for far less food options.

Even the cocktails are restrictive for coeliacs.

Sue

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My daughter is gluten free and we had an incredible experience on our 7 day Mexico cruise on the discovery. The head chef in the buffet took her around every day and pointed out what items were actually GF. Just ask anyone working there for someone to walk you around. You can also ask for them to get you something from the back to avoid cross contamination. They also had her pick her dinner for the mainDR the night before. 

No gluten free bread bun I have ever tasted approaches a lovely gluten bun.  Better just to have a bunless burger.  Even in onshore burger shops they tend to give you more of everything to replace the bun which is lovely AND you don't pay the extra $$ for awful gluten free bread. 

Luckily everyone seems to be able to make a great gluten free pizza base. 

On 12/17/2023 at 12:07 AM, charliedalrymple said:

Croissants and other breakfast pastries

Just did a TP on the Majestic. Got a Blueberry muffin every am from the IC from Habib. I don't follow gluten free, but found out the muffin was gluten free. Very good.

2 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

No gluten free bread bun I have ever tasted approaches a lovely gluten bun.  Better just to have a bunless burger.  Even in onshore burger shops they tend to give you more of everything to replace the bun which is lovely AND you don't pay the extra $$ for awful gluten free bread. 

Luckily everyone seems to be able to make a great gluten free pizza base. 

Their gluten free bread tasted on sawdust!