USBP Interview for Renewal at Airport before flight

If only

Hope you have had your Canadian interview first and already?

You must do that first before the US interview.

The actual interview is going to have a range of time based on if there are any "issues" that they want to discuss.

I had a discrepancy in name from Nexus to Passport that they corrected - FINALLY.

They also questioned me about travels to North Korea when I had not been there, but had travelled to South Korea.  I question if that was a real error in my record or if they were testing me?  I don't know why they would test that, but in any case, because of these two things, I may have been a longer interview. 

I think in total I was 10 minutes in front of the agent.  It is pretty straight forward.

The only factor may be how backed up they are, and how long you might wait to get to see an agent.

Edited by CDNPolar

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Hope you have had your Canadian interview first and already?

You must do that first before the US interview.

The actual interview is going to have a range of time based on if there are any "issues" that they want to discuss.

I had a discrepancy in name from Nexus to Passport that they corrected - FINALLY.

They also questioned me about travels to North Korea when I had not been there, but had travelled to South Korea.  I question if that was a real error in my record or if they were testing me?  I don't know why they would test that, but in any case, because of these two things, I may have been a longer interview. 

I think in total I was 10 minutes in front of the agent.  It is pretty straight forward.

The only factor may be how backed up they are, and how long you might wait to get to see an agent.

Thank you for your reply.  Yes my DH has had his CDN interview & they told us 5% are picked at random for the interviews.  This is his 2nd Nexus renewal so not sure about that,  I guess it depends on how many people are ahead of him. Plus they don’t open until 4:30 & our flight is at 6:15am.  Would have chosen a later flight had we known.

Edited by If only
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably doesn’t help with time needed at YYZ for the second portion of the interview but in Halifax recently it was about 15 minutes with the agent. I suspect that this is pretty standard amount of time needed to complete the interview as they have to review your application, and also take digital fingerprints. My husband was with another agent as I was doing my interview and we both took 15 minutes. Then the agent took us to the Nexus kiosk and we went through the process there. My husband came up green, meaning he was authorized and complete, but my fingerprints didn’t go through as fast and I got a red light,meaning not authorized as of yet. The agent said she would keep my file open until she saw that it was finalized. It took another couple of hours and then I got an email saying “your status has changed” . It was 30 minutes in total from when we entered the interview area. But we were the only ones waiting for the interview.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Atlantic Girl said:

Probably doesn’t help with time needed at YYZ for the second portion of the interview but in Halifax recently it was about 15 minutes with the agent. I suspect that this is pretty standard amount of time needed to complete the interview as they have to review your application, and also take digital fingerprints. My husband was with another agent as I was doing my interview and we both took 15 minutes. Then the agent took us to the Nexus kiosk and we went through the process there. My husband came up green, meaning he was authorized and complete, but my fingerprints didn’t go through as fast and I got a red light,meaning not authorized as of yet. The agent said she would keep my file open until she saw that it was finalized. It took another couple of hours and then I got an email saying “your status has changed” . It was 30 minutes in total from when we entered the interview area. But we were the only ones waiting for the interview.

Was this for a Nexus Renewal or is this a new application?  We have had our Nexus cards for 10 yrs but my husband has to do an interview, so I don’t see why they would have to take finger prints & photo all over again.

Edited by If only

This was for a new application. I agree why take a new set of fingerprints, but if they follow all other government protocols for identification, then I would suspect that everything would have to be new. Technology is constantly changing with regards to digital identification, and this may be the reason for new updated photos and fingerprints. Passports also need new photos, even for a renewal as do our provincial driver’s licenses. Perhaps someone who has completed the Nexus Renewal interview recently will post. 

2 minutes ago, Atlantic Girl said:

This was for a new application. I agree why take a new set of fingerprints, but if they follow all other government protocols for identification, then I would suspect that everything would have to be new. Technology is constantly changing with regards to digital identification, and this may be the reason for new updated photos and fingerprints. Passports also need new photos, even for a renewal as do our provincial driver’s licenses. Perhaps someone who has completed the Nexus Renewal interview recently will post. 

Well I haven’t had a new picture in 10 yrs & wish I did as I never liked my photo, but they renewed mine, lol.   

5 hours ago, If only said:

Was this for a Nexus Renewal or is this a new application?  We have had our Nexus cards for 10 yrs but my husband has to do an interview, so I don’t see why they would have to take finger prints & photo all over again.

I have had my Nexus for over 10 years and on the last renewal, I had to go through the Canada interview, the US interview, and do the fingerprints again.   If you are called for interview, then you will have to do that.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I have had my Nexus for over 10 years and on the last renewal, I had to go through the Canada interview, the US interview, and do the fingerprints again.   If you are called for interview, then you will have to do that.

Ugh but thanks for the information, let’s hope there  is not a line up at 4:30am.

Edited by If only

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Can you tell me where the US Nexus renewal interview takes place at Pearson terminal 1 Toronto?

Edited by If only

11 hours ago, If only said:

Can you tell me where the US Nexus renewal interview takes place at Pearson terminal 1 Toronto?

I did mine as a combo - Canada / USA - in Fort Erie at the land crossing.

To my knowledge, you must have a flight booked to or transiting through the USA and once you pass US Customs, the interview area is found there.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I did mine as a combo - Canada / USA - in Fort Erie at the land crossing.

To my knowledge, you must have a flight booked to or transiting through the USA and once you pass US Customs, the interview area is found there.

Probably what we should have done but will find out next week if it’s possible early morning.  His card doesn’t expire till next June so still have lots of time but didn’t realize that if you go to the airport for Cdn. has to be completed at airport,

obviously should have read properly.   Many thx for your help.

Edited by If only

3 minutes ago, If only said:

Probably what we should have done but will find out next week if it’s possible early morning.  His card doesn’t expire till next June so still have lots of time but didn’t realize that if you go to the airport for Cdn. has to be completed at airport,

obviously should have read properly.   Many thx for your help.

This all changed a long time ago now.  You can only do the USA interview if you have completed the Canadian interview first, and to do the USA interview at an airport, it can only be done if you are flying to a US destination.  You cannot walk into the airport do the interview and leave.  You must have an air ticket.  Otherwise, you can do like I did.  Book your Canadian interview at a site like Fort Erie, then driver across the border to do the US interview and then come back to Canada.  

Just now, CDNPolar said:

This all changed a long time ago now.  You can only do the USA interview if you have completed the Canadian interview first, and to do the USA interview at an airport, it can only be done if you are flying to a US destination.  You cannot walk into the airport do the interview and leave.  You must have an air ticket.  Otherwise, you can do like I did.  Book your Canadian interview at a site like Fort Erie, then driver across the border to do the US interview and then come back to Canada.  

We already did our Cdn at the airport as it was much closer for us than driving to the border.  Our fault but thought we could do the US at the border if it didn’t work out on a flight which we have next week.  Should have read the whole thing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Interesting that you had to drive to two separate offices. I did my latest renewal last year at the Champlain border crossing south of Montreal. The US and Canadian agents share an office and my "transit" from the US to the Canadian interview involved walking about 20 feet from one desk to another. Took all of about 15 minutes for both interviews and the re-shooting of my photo. The NEXUS office is on the US side though, so I did have to drive back into Canada. Having NEXUS alive and well, of course, meant no waiting in the massive non-NEXUS lineup  and I was back across the border into Canada in seconds.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...