Pompeii and Herculaneum?

prekcruiser

Hi there,

I will be visiting Naples on a port stop in May.  My ship will be docked from 6:30 am-4:30 pm.  I have booked transportation from the ship to Pompeii.  Has anyone tried to do Pompeii and Herculaneum in one day?  I think it could be done by hiring a taxi to transport from Pompeii to Herculaneum and then back to the port.  I plan on getting to Pompeii at 9:00 when they open and spending at least 3 hours there.  It looks like Herculaneum is only 17 minutes away by car. So I think it's feasible, but I am worried about making it back to the ship.  I really don't wan't to be in a large group of people on a bus and pay over $200 if this is something I can do on my own.  My concern is traffic and how much time to allow for the return trip to the ship.  Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.  I plan to book tickets for both online ahead of time to save some time in line.

Thanks!

It's unfortunate that your port time is so early, it's not really "usable" time, other than for transit.

Is there some reason you want to pay extra for ship transport to Pompei?  It's easy and very inexpensive (3,30 euro) to do it on your own, especially since you have so much lead time before the ruins open.

IMO it will be a challenge to do both in a day, given the timing. As euro cruiser says, you have time in the morning that's basically wasted and not enough time in the afternoon given that you should really plan to be back at the ship by 3:30 pm.

If you really want to do it in a day, it might be possible as long as you keep your eye on the time. Make a strict schedule and don't deviate from it. Remember that Pompeii is a huge site and that you'll need close to the same amount of time to walk out of it as it took you to get into it.

Getting to Pompeii a bit before opening time) is wise, as is doing Pompeii first since it is the site that is farther from Naples.

I was going to suggest that you take the Circumvesuviana train (e.g., the local regional train) from Pompeii to Herculaneum, but just noticed (based on the 2023 schedule) that there is a large swathe of time in the middle of the day where the trains on the local route don't stop in Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi stop). If you to plan to exit Pompeii via the main Porta Marina entrance, it SHOULD be fairly easy to grab a taxi to take you the short distance to the second site.

Since Herculaneum is much smaller, you can do a satisfactory ''skim" in about 1.5 hours. (Ideally more, but you really can see a lot in that frame.) Don't waste time on the museum at the entrance; do your research in advance and map out where the more interesting houses are located. If you are worried about getting back you could perhaps negotiate with the taxi driver to wait the 1.5 hours for you and then return you to the ship.

Alternatively, to get back to the ship you could head to the Circumvesuviana train station in Ercolano and take the train (direction Naples) back to either the main Naples train station or Porta Nolana (the last stop on the route), then get a quick taxi back to the port or take the local tram. The problem, as stated above, is that there aren't many trains stopping in Ercolano in that period of time. There is one train that leaves Ercolano at 2:22 pm, with stops at Napoli Garibaldi (2:35 pm) and Napoli Porta Nolana (2:37 pm) -- you could then get a taxi or take public transport from either of these back to the ship in good time.

(Euro cruiser may have additional ideas on transportation.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prekcruiser said:

My ship will be docked from 6:30 am-4:30 pm.  I have booked transportation from the ship to Pompeii. 

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Is there some reason you want to pay extra for ship transport to Pompei?  It's easy and very inexpensive (3,30 euro) to do it on your own, especially since you have so much lead time before the ruins open.

I read it as the OP has booked transportation from the ship (location) to Pompeii, rather than from the ship (provider) to Pompeii. 

Ah, good catch.  In any case, it seems a waste of money to me when public transit is so easy and, in this case, won't cause the OP to lose any time at the site (or sites).

They are playing around with the Circumvesuviana schedules, trying to find a way to make the trains run on time.  The solution right now seems to be "make fewer stops", which doesn't help if you're at one of those intermediate stops.  There is a train from Pompei Sanctuario, close to the Anfiteatro exit from the ruins, that does stop at Ercolano Scavi; however, to make the schedule work you have to change trains at Torre Annunziata and many of these changes require a significant wait time.

Therefore, I agree that a taxi between Pompei and Herculaneum is the wisest choice in this situation.  I've never noticed taxis at the Porta Marina entrance/exit, but you can find them just steps away at Porta Marina Inferiore.  

Or you could take the money you'd save by cancelling the morning car service and use that for one to pick you up at Pompei, take you to Herculaneum and wait for you, then return you to the ship.

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas,

I originally booked a transport through the cruise line to Pompeii but will probably cancel that after researching the transportation situation. I think I will just do it all on my own. I guess we'll try the train to get to Pompeii before the crowds and then ride the train back to Herculaneum. We'll probably take a taxi back to the port since they seem to be readily available at Herculaneum. Fingers crossed that we have enough time to see both. Would you who have been there recommend grabbing a bite to eat in Ercolano? It seems from other posts I've read, there aren't many food places at Pompeii.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, prekcruiser said:

Would you who have been there recommend grabbing a bite to eat in Ercolano? It seems from other posts I've read, there aren't many food places at Pompeii.

Thanks!

The street that you have to walk down from the train station to Herculaneum has several places you can stop for a quick panini that you can eat 'on the run' so to speak -- or at least that was the case when I last did that run in February 2020 (right before Covid). Look for a bar or take-away rather than a restaurant.

I strongly recommend the bus rather than the train to Pompei for a couple of reasons.  First, it's closer to the cruise port so you don't have to figure out how to get to the train station from the port and, second, you are pretty much guaranteed a seat on the bus and the AC works.  It's really quite easy.

The bus and the train take the same amount of time and cost the same 3,30 euro each way.

The bus depot is located at Varco Immacolatella, about a third of a mile on foot from the cruise port.  There is a ticket office where you can purchase your tickets and the bus begins the run here, so no need to stand at a stop looking for the right bus.

There is a bus at 8:00, Monday-Saturday, that arrives to Pompei at 8:35, well before opening time.  The stop in Pompei is two-tenths of a mile on foot from the main (Porta Marina) entrance to the ruins.

You can see the current schedule here:  0 (sitasudtrasporti.it)

I would avoid the train between Pompei and Ercolano (Herculaneum) because of the schedule issues, it can eat up too much time and the current schedule doesn't work with your day.  You'd have to leave Pompei in time for an 11:00 train because the next one isn't until 14:00 (2 PM), which is too late for your needs.

This is the segment to use a taxi or a car service.

The current train schedule is here, but as they have been monkeying around with it, you must check again shortly before your trip to see what the current situation is:  ORARI NAPOLI SORRENTO_dal 2 Ottobre 2023_0.pdf (eavsrl.it)

As you'll see, it's also not good for your return to the cruise port.  I would either again use a taxi or car service, or consider taking the Trenitalia train back to Naples, from the Portici-Ercolano station (1.7 km/1.1 miles on foot from the exit of the ruins).

EN - Trenitalia

Edited by euro cruiser

If you do not take the train between Pompeii and Herculaneum (per euro cruiser's suggestion above, which is sound), then your choices for food are not great. There is a cafeteria at the heart of Pompeii but it can be very busy (and hence slow). There's not much right at the entrance of Herculaneum unless you want to walk a couple of blocks uphill on the hilly street leading from the entrance where the places I mentioned are located. I don't believe Herculaneum has any kind of a snack bar.

If this is a major priority for you, perhaps bring some pre-packaged power bars or other snacks with you and eat a good breakfast before leaving the ship.

Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm thinking I'm going to cancel my transport from the ship and opt for the bus instead.  When finished at Pompeii, we'll probably take a cab to Herculaneum and just pay for it to stick around and then bring us back to the ship. And thanks Cruisemom42, I think we will just bring some snacks with us.

We're on a different cruise, so we have a little more time in port. But I booked a private tour with Viator. it will take us to both places! I wanted to see both places and who knows if I'll ever get back there. This is our tour...

What's Included
  • Guidance at Pompeii and Herculaneum by Archaeologist guide
  • Pompeii and Herculaneum admission fees
  • Transportation service by modern minivan
  • Assistance by a professional driver

Getting back to the food situation, we have never had a problem finding a place, to grab a bite, near Herculanium.  We have always arrived by train (Ercolano Scavi Station) and stopped for something to eat on the way to the ruins.  It is mostly downhill (from the station to the ruins) but, of course, one does need to trek up hill on the return journey.

Hank

On a different cruise than the author and we plan to book a private guided our of Pompeii through one of the tour companies.  I see there are several that include private transport from the port to Pompeii and, of course, those are pricier.  I understand it is fairly simple to take the bus or train to Pompeii.  My question is whether or not using private transport really offers a big enough convenience of time and effort to make the price worthwhile?  I'm not saying the money doesn't matter but I'd like to know that there is a good reason to spend the extra.  Thanks for any answers.

I think the difference is primarily convenience, it takes almost no effort to use a car service, just more money.

The bus is the easiest public transportation option, in my opinion, as the depot where the bus starts the run is located less than a half mile on foot from the cruise port.

21 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I think the difference is primarily convenience, it takes almost no effort to use a car service, just more money.

The bus is the easiest public transportation option, in my opinion, as the depot where the bus starts the run is located less than a half mile on foot from the cruise port.

Thanks and maybe you can offer some more advice.  I suppose we should simply book a private tour at Pompeii and take the bus from the port area to Pompei.  We are docked on a Sunday from 7AM to 6PM so we figure on an early morning tour at 9 which is a 3 hour tour and then back to Naples for a quick look and some pizza before going back onboard.  I am having a little trouble reading the bus schedule to get to Pompeii.  Does it run on Sunday?  

No, unfortunately the bus does not run on Sundays, so your public transit option will be the Circumvesuviana train.  Since you have a couple of hours to make the trip the short extra segment of travel from the port to the train station won't be an issue.

They are doing work on the road right now so the tram between the port and the Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana station isn't running, but there is bus service in its place.  You'll need to get a ticket (1,30 euro) from one of the shops or newsstands at the port before boarding.  You can get the train ticket (3,30 euro) at the station.  The current substitutions are buses 412 and 421, but check again just before your trip to confirm the situation at that time.

Current Circumvesuviana train schedule:  ORARI NAPOLI SORRENTO_dal 2 Ottobre 2023_0.pdf (eavsrl.it)

The 8:04 departure would get you to Pompei in plenty of time.  By the way, there's really no need to book a tour guide in advance unless there is someone specific that you want.  You can get a private tour with a licensed guide right at the entrance to the ruins.  

Info on guides at Pompei:  Guided tours - Pompeii Sites

• Thanks 1