Regent Air from Barcelona/Madrid

GMIAC

We're suffering major Grandeur withdrawal, and are looking at the 10 April 14-night NYC-Barcelona sailing. We're agonizing about whether to add Regent Air, because there's not much availability in Business/First without going through LHR and paying over $700 in taxes to use our Avios points. 

Is there a standard route/airline that Regent uses from Barcelona to Chicago O'Hare? We'd also like to extend our Spain portion after the cruise to visit Madrid, so we might pay the fee to fly back home from there. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

10 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Is there a standard route/airline that Regent uses from Barcelona to Chicago O'Hare? We'd also like to extend our Spain portion after the cruise to visit Madrid, so we might pay the fee to fly back home from there.

Regent has contract rates that are deeply discounted with many (most) airlines.  Usually these contract rates are not the most desirable routes, but sometimes they are.  In your case the best thing for you to do is to use Regent Air and deviate (there is a $175 pp deviation fee).  You can deviate 210 days out.  Simply research your requested flights and call Regent Air and request them.  The more options you have, the more likely you'll be able find acceptable flights.  For a non stop it's very likely you'll have to pay an up charge, but not always.  As for return flights from Madrid, not sure how Regent will handle that, but there will surely be an up charge if they'll book the flights for you.  But you may have to find your way back to Barcelona since Madrid isn't a port city.  But it's possible you can book it through Regent air so it's worth asking.  

You will have to pay $75 to talk to Regent Air, but if you accept a deviation the $75 will be rolled into one of the $175 pp deviation fees.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

You will have to pay $75 to talk to Regent Air, but if you accept a deviation the $75 will be rolled into one of the $175 pp deviation fees.  

I haven't booked this sailing yet; will there be a fee to speak to Regent if we book Regent Air at the booking time, and will our Travel Agent arrange this?

We are returning from BCN to NYC by air from our March 31 Regent Splendor transatlantic cruise embarking Miami. At 210 day mark I called Regent air and paid the damn $75 charge to find out their available flights. NYC to Miami nonstop in coach at no extra charge was no problem. However, when return from BCN to NYC we wanted on any of the three nonstops was considered, I was refused two of them..was told they had no contract on AA or UA, but could do Delta for over a $1,000 per person up charge. We were offered a reasonable Swiss Airline connection through Zurich with no upcharge. We decided instead to take the air credit and fly home nonstop in Premium Economy, since it is a day flight and we got the tickets for just 50,000 miles pp. For us nonstop is a high priority if we can get it.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Could use avios on Iberia via madrid.  Also AA has nonstops to ORD out of both.

Avios charges over $700 pp in taxes because the available flights go through LHR.

AA's fares are over $7,000 in Business class one way.

5 hours ago, GMIAC said:

I haven't booked this sailing yet; will there be a fee to speak to Regent if we book Regent Air at the booking time, and will our Travel Agent arrange this?

It is not a case of booing Regent Air, Regent Air is automatically included unless you have it removed and credited to you.  Using Regent Air, the Heathrow taxes are included in the included air so no cost to you.

As far as your TA working the air for you, that is a matter of if your TA will do it.  Regent will work with you or your TA for the same cost.  Much better if you work direct with Regent air as if your TA has to phone you before booking your air that is another $75 cost to talk to the air desk.  Air desk costs are charged to you for your or TA contacting Regent air.

By the way booking air while booking the cruise will not save you anything.  Separate departments and you have to have the booking of the cruise before booking the air.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rallydave said:

It is not a case of booing Regent Air, Regent Air is automatically included unless you have it removed and credited to you.  Using Regent Air, the Heathrow taxes are included in the included air so no cost to you.

Of course, but would Regent Air book us on Iberia if the non-stop is $7,000+ or if the taxes through LHR are $700+? I don't mind a layover, within reason, so can I assume they'll get us home? Or is there a chance we'd get a super long layover? What do they consider a reasonable layover time?

3 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

Of course, but would Regent Air book us on Iberia if the non-stop is $7,000+ or if the taxes through LHR are $700+? I don't mind a layover, within reason, so can I assume they'll get us home? Or is there a chance we'd get a super long layover? What do they consider a reasonable layover time?

Regent will book you on most any flight, the issue is what the upcharge would be if you deviate and request the Iberia flight.  As to a chance you would get a super long layover, first that depends on what you define a super long layover layover is.  As to what Regent considers a reasonable layover times is; anytime between minimum connection time to what is a legal connection and that is probably longer than you want.  Only way to find out is to deviate and pay the non talk to the air desk.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CardowMD said:

Does anyone know if Regent has contracts with Emirates or Turkish? Looking at flights to Istanbul from Dulles. Will help narrow down my requests.

For that matter, which airlines do Regent have contracts with? Or, if easier, which ones don't they have contracts with?

56 minutes ago, rallydave said:

A well kept Regent secret that varies from contract to contract with the airlines.

Exactly. My situation in post #5 above (contract for NYC with DL, but not AA or UA) is likely irrelevant to a guest flying to ORD, where contracts with AA and/or UA may be in place.

7 hours ago, GMIAC said:

When you book the cruise you can either book it with air included or without.  The price difference is shown on the website.  So basically you tell your TA to book inclusive (with air, etc.).  Then if you want to deviate, use Regent Air but pick your own flights, you can do that 210 days before the sailing date.  That is when you'll be charged the $75 to talk to them.  If you don't want to deviate, and just leave it up to Regent to pick your flights, as long as you booked the "inclusive" rate, you don't have to do anything and Regent will assign the flights about 75 days before the cruise.  Personally I find it well worth paying the deviation fee ($175 pp) and getting my flights set up 210 days out.  That way there are way more options and I can ask for any itinerary I want and if I can get it "free" great, if not then I can decide if any up charge is worth it, or if it's just not available I can find something else that the can give me. Keep in mind you can always cancel the flights up to a certain date with no penalty other than the $175 non refundable deviation fee. 

As for you or your TA arranging a deviation, that's up to you. I always call personally, and I have the airline website open to my requested flights so I can see real-time any options that I might need to consider and also have them immediately select seats (if the airline allows it).  But it's just easier for me to talk directly to the Regent Air agent and discuss all my available options.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

But it's just easier for me to talk directly to the Regent Air agent and discuss all my available options.  

Got a tip from my TA's air person...suggest calling early in the day...less of a hold time and the staff is usually less stressed and more willing to engage with callers than near the end of their busy work day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Avios charges over $700 pp in taxes because the available flights go through LHR.

AA's fares are over $7,000 in Business class one way.

Regent air might get you on AA.  Booking a one way is definitely not feasible as the fares same as round trip.  You might create an account on Iberia and check their availability using avios.  

2 hours ago, CardowMD said:

We can work directly w Regents air, not thru TA

Yes.  But you need to get your TA to authorize Regent to talk to you directly.  I know in the past that was required, so I simply email my TA and have her notify them.  Don't know if that's still required, but saves time if you simply have your TA contact Regent and authorize it before you call. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Yes.  But you need to get your TA to authorize Regent to talk to you directly.  I know in the past that was required, so I simply email my TA and have her notify them.  Don't know if that's still required, but saves time if you simply have your TA contact Regent and authorize it before you call. 

No such permission was needed when I called. They were only concerned about my credit card number to run through the $75 charge before we spoke.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GMIAC said:

For that matter, which airlines do Regent have contracts with? Or, if easier, which ones don't they have contracts with?

Depends on route I have been booked on aa delta and Turkish so far.  All were good routes and reasonable layovers or non stop.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CardowMD said:

Does anyone know if Regent has contracts with Emirates or Turkish? Looking at flights to Istanbul from Dulles. Will help narrow down my requests.

They flew us and other on both.  Turkish air was very nice for us dfw Ist non stop.  Food and service very good.

7 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Just because you see a 7000 fare that is not what regent pays.  You could use expert flyer and see the seats open for discount business on any given flight as well as award and upgrade seats on some airlines.  (You can click on the info button to the right to see fare code descriptions)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Regent air might get you on AA.  Booking a one way is definitely not feasible as the fares same as round trip.  You might create an account on Iberia and check their availability using avios.  

Already done, and also checked through British Airways Avios. Thanks.