Four nights with kids before Galveston cruise

rdt123

Hi all

we are sailing on the Jubilee in August 24 and are flying into Houston four nights prior. Ideally I’ll try some Texas BBQ but other than that we could use a resort with a pool etc to relax and get over the jet lag. 

can anyone recommend a family friendly resort within an hour or so of the port ?

cheers

Rob

I don’t recall any resorts in Galveston more like a selection of Motels near the beach. If you aren’t looking for access to the beach maybe stay at a nicer hotel in Houston. They are likely more designed for business travelers but you should be able to find some with a nice pool and amenities.

10 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I don’t recall any resorts in Galveston more like a selection of Motels near the beach. If you aren’t looking for access to the beach maybe stay at a nicer hotel in Houston. They are likely more designed for business travelers but you should be able to find some with a nice pool and amenities.

Thanks, I wonder if I should hire a car and head off somewhere 

Costs may be a problem, but Moody Gardens and their hotel is a great place to stay with many things to do. 

https://www.moodygardens.com/

Another nice, but again costly option, is San Luis Resort & Spa.

https://www.sanluisresort.com/

There are other hotels on the island just search to hotels on Galveston Island.

• Like 1

Galveston is a major tourist destination. Lots to do .

There is more to do on this island than at your itinerary ports of the cruise. 

Visitgalveston.com

Galveston.com

galvestonhistory.org 

Edited by ssb

There are plenty of choices for resorts along Seawall Blvd. The San Luis and the Galvez are top tier, and priced accordingly. The websites above are excellent choices for doing some research.

Galveston has become a major cruise port, and the supply of hotels at all price points are yours for the looking.

Absolutely hire a car for 4 days as, as much as I love Galveston, 4 days gives you opportunity to see much more of the area.  Moody Gardens is a must, even if you don't stay there.  NASA is right up the road as are several attractions in Houston proper.

If your family has any interest in history, the San Jacinto Museum and Battlefield is a great visit.  

By the way, my weather prediction for August is Hot and Humid.  Possibly VERY hot!  

Please note that Houston is sprawling area that spreads out into infinity in most directions.  Also note that the reason that Houston and the Gulf Coast is ground zero for refining and chemical production so, although very nice in some areas, is quite heavy industrial in others.

Have fun!

I would suggest you stay in Houston--at least the first couple of days.  You will be quite tired from the long flight and the traffic/drive straight from airport to Galveston would be rather exhausting.  There are many interesting things to do in Houston for the family and hotel prices are much better than in Galveston.  It's about an hour drive from central Houston to Galveston.  Definitely go to NASA and also the Houston zoo is one of the best we have ever been to.  It will be hot in August, but the zoo grounds are actually quite shady.  We stayed at a Hilton property that was within walking distance of the zoo...there were good restaurants in the vicinity.  I would say you will need a rental car.  Have a great visit and cruise!