Going to Paris this week

Jane110

Sassy Chassis,

I found an Eiffel Tower mousepad for you at Galeries Lafayette Dept Store and bought it. It's under $10. and we can arrange it's transport to you when I get home.

All..........

Hard to do a fashion report since it's not spring yet. Weather is warm (50 degrees) and gentle with some rain throughout the day. Parisian women do not rush the season and everyone is still in winter clothes - just wearing less layers and lighter weight fabrics. Still lots of boots and dark colors. Looked at spring fashions in the stores and there's not as much white as in the US stores. Thought I'd like to buy a white trench coat here I haven't seen one yet.

Stores show TONS of wedge shoes and espradrilles, in all heel heights. Window displays show the new long shorts - down to the knee. Have not seen one pair of gaucho's yet - either in a store or on anybody in the street. UGG boots are totally gone from the scene - I saw one pair on an american tourist who looked like she was high school age.

As always lots of scarves. I believe the french are born with a perfectly wrapped scarf around their neck. Thouugh it's quite warm - about 50 degree's - no one (including me) is without one. They just change from wool & cashmere in the winter to silk, cotton & rayon in spring/summer. I went to a dinner party last night (only 4 of the 12 guests spoke english) and at the end when everyone was leaving and the hosts were handing out everyone's coat, the admiration of one another's scarf was almost ritual. Two men and one woman ( a lawyer, a doctor & a chiropractor) all went on and on about how beautiful my scarf was. Definitely not something that would happen in the US. The other difference was that unlike many dinner parties I've been to in the US, the conversation doesn't seperate into groups of men and groups of women - everyone talks to everyone. This is true of every party I've been to in Paris and it's so much more pleasant.

I'm off to a museum and to enjoy this marvelous city.

Jane

Sassy Chassis,

I found an Eiffel Tower mousepad for you at Galeries Lafayette Dept Store and bought it. It's under $10. and we can arrange it's transport to you when I get home.

All..........

Hard to do a fashion report since it's not spring yet. Weather is warm (50 degrees) and gentle with some rain throughout the day. Parisian women do not rush the season and everyone is still in winter clothes - just wearing less layers and lighter weight fabrics. Still lots of boots and dark colors. Looked at spring fashions in the stores and there's not as much white as in the US stores. Thought I'd like to buy a white trench coat here I haven't seen one yet.

Stores show TONS of wedge shoes and espradrilles, in all heel heights. Window displays show the new long shorts - down to the knee. Have not seen one pair of gaucho's yet - either in a store or on anybody in the street. UGG boots are totally gone from the scene - I saw one pair on an american tourist who looked like she was high school age.

As always lots of scarves. I believe the french are born with a perfectly wrapped scarf around their neck. Thouugh it's quite warm - about 50 degree's - no one (including me) is without one. They just change from wool & cashmere in the winter to silk, cotton & rayon in spring/summer. I went to a dinner party last night (only 4 of the 12 guests spoke english) and at the end when everyone was leaving and the hosts were handing out everyone's coat, the admiration of one another's scarf was almost ritual. Two men and one woman ( a lawyer, a doctor & a chiropractor) all went on and on about how beautiful my scarf was. Definitely not something that would happen in the US. The other difference was that unlike many dinner parties I've been to in the US, the conversation doesn't seperate into groups of men and groups of women - everyone talks to everyone. This is true of every party I've been to in Paris and it's so much more pleasant.

I'm off to a museum and to enjoy this marvelous city.

Jane

You know that must be a french thing. When I'm at dinner parties here among all french canadians (except for me) there is generally no divisions either. Everyone talks to everyone. The one thing I hate is that it is usually politics here. Although when I was connected to the corporate world, and if they gave a dinner party, couples were mixed up and everyone had to talk to everyone too at the dinner table.

How did you fare with only 4 of 12 speaking english, I don't remember if you spoke french? The french will not laugh if you make a mistake, they will correct so you learn but they will not laugh, I respect them for that attitude.

Yes, the french love those scarves. I remember that. It's a whole different way over there. Are they still speaking a lot of franglais? I remember people from here going and being upset that there was a lot of that going on instead of the "pure" french being spoken.

I wonder if the french had the white already last season?

Sounds like you are having a blast, which is great, you sound so happy and I am so happy for you. Are they showing a lot of flats? Any one predominent color? Jewelry styles?

Ok, I'll stop with the questions, lol, you have better things to do. Great to hear from you. Enjoy,

Wow! Thanks Jane...when you get back we can make arrangements :)

I have to get back to Paris one of these days. I went when I was younger and what I remember is that it was really windy and we could only go to the first level of the Eiffel Tower. I would love to do a land tour of Europe, do some traveling by train, and be able to hit northern Italy where we used to live. Yes, I'm a former Army Brat!

Stores show TONS of wedge shoes and espradrilles, in all heel heights. Window displays show the new long shorts - down to the knee.

Jane

Well that's all I seem to be buying for spring, espadrilles, cork wedges, and long shorts. Since I'm in the golf business, I can wear the long shorts to work.

HELP!! I've been desperately looking for a pair of closed toe espadrilles. I want a classic look in navy, black or khaki (or all 3 :D ) and can't find a thing. All that I find seem to have some sort of embellishment on toe or they have ribbons to wrap around multiple times like ballet shoes and I just don't have long enough legs for that look! I was in DSW and Filenes and even with the thousands of shoes, I couldn't find a single pair like what I was looking for.

Any suggestions?

As always lots of scarves. I believe the french are born with a perfectly wrapped scarf around their neck. Jane

Yay, I'm very excited about espadrilles -- planning to buy several pairs in Barcelona. I have the name of a store where you can basically pick your style and fabric, ribbons, etc. and they'll sew them up for you then and there.

I've been trying to attain that perfectly wrapped scarf since my first visit to Paris in my teens. Every time I go there, I always treat myself to a new scarf (or two, or three) and try to note the latest style in wearing them. Still, I never feel that I've quite mastered it to the degree that the Parisians have.

Wish I was there!

This is a great report so far Jane! Thanks so much. I'm piecing together my oufit as you provide the input. I picked up a great trench coat in Ann Taylor that has a small black and white pattern which I think will be great with a pair of black trousers. Now I'm on the prowl for a matching scarf!!! It will be May 5th so I'm thinking Spring weight may be in by then for the scarf and shoes. And of course a top is still needed!

Love hearing about the dinner party as well. Sounds like you are having a delightful time. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Bonjour,

I'm now back from what was a waaay too short trip to Paris. Yesterday was the first full day of sunshine....figures! :(

Well, I did have a nice half day and met some friends for an "au revoir" lunch and went to the patisserie to buy some freshly made macaroons to bring home to DH. Managed not to crush them on the plane!

Sassy Chassis, is there an email address I can use so I can get your address of where to mail the mouse pad?

JoelMarj, your outfit sounds perfect. Paris weather is alot like NY's so the first week of May you could have a hot spell of 75 degree's or a cool chill of 55 degree's. Keep a folding umbrella with you, just in case.

Soxfan, I've seen tons of closed toe'd espadrilles in the NY stores and in Paris as well. Shouldn't be so hard for you to find. Try online searches at Saks, Neimans, Zappos, etc.

Cruisemom, Would love to know more about that espadrille store in Barcelona. How great!

Will write more about fashion observations over the weekend.

Jane

Bonjour, bienvenue à la maison. J'espère que tu as eu de belles vacances bien que ce fut trop court. C'est domage qu'il ait plu mais une demie journée de soleil est mieux que rien. La temperature dans le nord de l'Europe en hiver ressemble à celle de la côte du Pacifique, nuageux et pluvieux tout le temps.

Translation: Hello, Welcome home, I hope you had a nice vacation, to short for sure, It's too bad about the rain, but 1/2 day of sun is better than none. The temperature in the north of europe (according to my hubby) in winter resembles the pacific coast, cloudy and rainy all the time.

(wanted to prolong your trip as much as possible so I wrote a little to you in french, hope you don't mind) to be fair to everyone I put in the translation as it is not a secret what I wrote, just wanted to keep your french going for a while longer :)

Can't wait to hear all about the fashions and everything Parisian. Food, fashion, fun (the three F's as I call it).

My email is karen at redsharklounge dot com and thank you so much for taking time out of your trip to do that for me *blushes* :)

Now that espadrilles are back in fashion I feel bad because I think I tossed out a pair within the last year that I wasn't wearing...*heavy sigh* oh well, how was I to know?

Archived