New Galveston Terminal - walk?

Posted (edited)

How walkable is the new Royal Caribbean terminal from the downtown/strand area (such as the Harbor House)? Or is it best to just take a cab? 

I keep finding info on the OLD terminal being easy to walk to but not so much on the new one.

Edited by Turtlelove17

We stayed at the Harbor House before cruising last October.   We took the Harbor House shuttle which worked fine.  From what I could see while riding over, I would not want to walk it.

We've walked it- with luggage.  It sucked.

The reason we walked it was that there were no taxis, and Lyft would not schedule a car for us.  Then when we went for a second cruise a day later- the limo that we scheduled canceled the day before we got back to port.  So we once again tried a taxi and Lyft.  Both failed, again.  Thankfully, there was a bored Lyft driver waiting for anyone to show up, so we negotiated a ride from him. 

We were not happy with the transport at the port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

The reason we walked it was that there were no taxis, and Lyft would not schedule a car for us.

Is this pretty common? I just figured we'd Uber or Lyft from the Harbor House to the terminal when we cruise in March on the Harmony.

25 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

Is this pretty common? I just figured we'd Uber or Lyft from the Harbor House to the terminal when we cruise in March on the Harmony.

We were scheduled on the Harbor House shuttle, but it was a large packed bus. 4 of use decided to Uber and we’re on our way before bus was half loaded. I this $12 for an XL (4 with luggage)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We were scheduled on the Harbor House shuttle, but it was a large packed bus. 4 of use decided to Uber and we’re on our way before bus was half loaded. I this $12 for an XL (4 with luggage)

Thanks, this was our plan as well.  We usually skip the shuttles for an Uber for the same reasons.

35 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

Don't know anymore.  When we were there, it was a couple of months into the new terminal being open.  And we heard that there were issues with some of the transportation companies being allowed into the port.  Maybe that's fixed now.  But it sucked enough that we will probably avoid going to Galveston anytime soon.  While it's theoretically similar to Orlando and Port Canaveral, realistically, it's much more complicated for Texas..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Don't know anymore.  When we were there, it was a couple of months into the new terminal being open.  And we heard that there were issues with some of the transportation companies being allowed into the port.  Maybe that's fixed now.  But it sucked enough that we will probably avoid going to Galveston anytime soon.  While it's theoretically similar to Orlando and Port Canaveral, realistically, it's much more complicated for Texas..

Its long since been fixed. Yes uber didnt pay early days but made peace and now comes in. 

• Like 1

Stayed downtown twice last summer and walked both times. There are Definately sidewalks. A few rough surfaces and very hot. We are 64 and 71 years but don’t pack heavy.

Warning. Years ago we parked inadvertently far away from old RCCI terminal  port. We had to roll suitcases over gravel for almost a mile.There was simply no other way. It was  a workout for someone with moderate heart issues. It ruined the rollers on both our suitcases, btw.