Which would you choose for multi-gen family

KimA75

We are looking at a cruise out of Southampton in 2025.  Yes, I am an early planner, mainly to have time to make lower payments each month towards the vacation and better prices earlier on.  Which of these would you choose for a multigenerational family? My boys will be 15 and 11 by then and my parents will be in their 80’s. We are from the states and have never spent time in any of these areas to help with narrowing it down.

5D01247F-66C4-4ED7-AE9E-2801A0AD5E36.png

I don’t have kids, and am nearly 80.  I would eliminate the fjords cruise, because I think they would all look alike to the kids.  The second and most expensive has the best ports, more variety.  For me, I would choose the third, because I have t visited some of the ports.  I assume you have some loyalty to Royal, since all three are on a Royal ship?  Maybe you should consult the people involved for their opinions.  In the meantime you might consult the Ports of Call for excursion opinions, and get copies of Rick Steves’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports and Scandinavian and Northern Europe Cruise Ports.  EM

Thank you Essiesmom.  After looking, I think you are right about the fjords. Yes, we are loyal to Royal at the moment.  My oldest son absolutely loves the Flowrider for body boarding on their ships. Other cruise lines don’t have this. He was born with some limitations, so the fact that he can do this and loves it keeps us coming back.  I’ll expand to other operators later.

Thank you for the other suggestions as well.  I’ll definitely check those out.

Also consider the climate for the cruises.  I suspect the temps on the fjords cruise might be a bit chilly for the outdoor water activities.  If that is really important the Spain and Portugal itinerary might be best.  But look at climate data and ask on the port boards for those areas.  EM

• Like 1

Having experienced all the itineraries you've mentioned as a multigenerational family (family aged 4 through to 60s), the choice really boils down to what kind of cruisers you are. If you're into active ports,there's more to see and do with the Spain/Portugal itinerary however if you simply want to soak in beautiful scenery, the fjords are wonderful - though be aware that if you cruise early in the season  (we went in May) it'll likely be too cold for your kiddos to use the outdoor pools. My 6 yo still had a ball though!

Though I love the Spain and Portugal itinerary- a word of caution for routes passing through the Bay of Biscay from Southampton. It can get pretty choppy, and we've had instances where the captain had to skip ports due to rough seas and storms. After a few too many bouts of seasickness (despite considering ourselves sea-hardened), we've made a pact to steer clear of any cruises through the Bay of Biscay.

Wishing you a smooth and enjoyable cruise! As a family, we're gearing up to celebrate my grandmother's 90th on a Caribbean cruise. It's such a wonderful way to connect and make lasting memories.

• Thanks 1

I'd recommend exploring the majestic Norwegian Fjords. The stunning scenery will leave everyone in awe, and there's something for everyone to enjoy. Plus, it's a great opportunity to experience the natural beauty of Norway. Safe travels, mate! 🚢🏔️ 

• Like 1

My children loved their cruise to Norway at the ages of 6 and 2.  Their favorite ports were Flam, Geiranger and Olden.  Olden has the amazing Loen skylift and Briksdal glacier.  On a clear day, there are amazing views from the Loen skylift.  The Briksdal glacier has been hit hard by global warming, but it is quite a lovely hike (there's a golf cart you can rent most of the way) and beautiful spot at the glacier.  

Flam has the amazing Flam railroad, and we had. a lovely tour of a goat farm there.  Geiranger has amazing scenic viewpoints.

I'd try to get to at least two of those three, but Alesund is much beloved on the Baltic forums (you can ask them there about the itinerary).

I would be a bit concerned about the heat in July in Spain and Portugal - what are you planning on doing there and how are your kids generally with heat?  I haven't heard much about the heat in the summer in Spain but know that's been an issue in Greece and Italy for the past few summers so you should look into that.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 7:28 PM, KimA75 said:

Thank you Essiesmom.  After looking, I think you are right about the fjords. Yes, we are loyal to Royal at the moment.  My oldest son absolutely loves the Flowrider for body boarding on their ships. Other cruise lines don’t have this. He was born with some limitations, so the fact that he can do this and loves it keeps us coming back.  I’ll expand to other operators later.

Thank you for the other suggestions as well.  I’ll definitely check those out.

why not sail in the Caribbean where it's quite a bit warmer?

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

why not sail in the Caribbean where it's quite a bit warmer?

We have been on several in the Caribbean and love it. However, I want to get the boys over to London to see some sights. I figured that since we love cruising so much, we could do several days in London and then move on elsewhere. I gave them a choice between the train to Paris to spend a few more days there or take a cruise and they both agreed on cruise. It is rare to get them to agree on anything, so I take it when I can. I think we have it narrowed down to the Spain and Portugal cruise though 

• Like 1

I hope you enjoy!

We just sail in the Caribbean - usually with our about to be 13 yo, but sometimes I take my parents with us. Both in early to mid-70s. My mom is in better shape than I am, but my dad is becoming increasingly less mobile, so we stay around the Caribbean. Plus, we love warm weather and beaches. 🙂