My studio room advice: Only book it if it is cheaper

I recently took a transatlantic cruise on the Epic that had no single supplement for all staterooms. I can't remember the exact fares, but a solo inside stateroom with drink package was about the same price as the studio. I booked the studio because so many people had raved about how great it was. Well, the studio would have been fine if I had booked it as a cost-saving measure, but it was far inferior to an inside solo stateroom. There were zero shelves for clothes, and I just didn't find the studio lounge to be that great a bonus. I attended a few of the get-togethers, but it was so crowded that I found it unpleasant; I'm not germophobic, but it was the only time I was on the ship when I felt like I was certain to catch something. There was no space in my room to use my computer, no space to shelve my clothes, just no space. It would have been fine if I had gotten a huge discount, but I didn't.

I just checked a cruise fare for an upcoming cruise, and it is cheaper to get a solo inside stateroom with drink package, which comes with full studio lounge access, than it is to get a studio room. This should be a no-brainer. Also, the aft-most studio hallway had an incredible RV septic tank smell for the entire trip. Fortunately, I wasn't staying on that end. My room was right next to the lounge, but there was a supply closet between me and the lounge, so there was no noise, but the woman across from me had no closet for insulation, and she found the noise intolerable. She finally managed to move. Final advice, if you do stay in a studio, as there is no shelving but plenty of hanging space, buy hanging shelves off Amazon for $15 or $20 bucks. I know it sounds stupid to say that my clothes organization would make a difference to my trip, but it's just a little thing that makes life easier.

Just to be clear, I would stay in a studio again if it was substantially cheaper than an inside solo stateroom. But it would have to be a pretty good discount.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With the introduction of Solo-traveler cabins outside of the Studio area, it's a no brainer to make sure you're getting the right deal for your situation.

For me, unless the cost difference was relatively big, I'd still probably opt for the studios.  I like having the lounge right there, and it being more quiet.  That said, my clothes either go on hangers or stay in the suitcase, so the shelving concerns you mention weren't really relevant to me.  There was plenty of shelving to hold "stuff" (that may not have been all that practical for clothes, i know)

LOL! About 20 minutes ago I booked a studio. Yes, it was cheaper right now, but i suspect insides or even ocean views will come down before the cruise. But I like having the studio lounge only steps away and I don't need much space for my stuff. I look forward to waking up early in the morning, get a good coffee and sip it while sitting and reading in the lounge before going outside, possibly with another cup of coffee. 😁

I went in a studio before NCL did the other rooms for solos, but I adored it. I liked my little pod cabin on the Escape and made sure to be down the hall, but on the same level as the lounge and not near white spaces.

I brought magnetic hooks and just hung my clothes all over the non-padded wall parts. But yeah, no shelves or drawers for clothing.

I also had them bring in a nightstand for my CPAP machine. 

Space is super tight in the Studio. I'm 5'2" and the toilet room was almost knee-bumping for me.

I've sailed in a Studio twice, in 4 cruises on NCL.  One time that I didn't was because the ship doesn't even have Studio cabins (Joy).  The other time was that when all other costs were considered the balcony was only about $60 more than a Studio so of course I was going to take the balcony!

For my next cruise a regular inside cabin was several hundred cheaper than the Studio, there was no solo supplement.  When I talked to my PCC to book she asked if I really wanted an inside instead of the Studio, when I suggested she look at the price she realized why I made that request and booked it.  Plus, for as much as I do like the Studio, for a 15 day cruise I think I'd like the extra space a regular inside offers, even if it is only 30% larger.